FIRST LOOK - ViP 922 Slingloaded DVR

Hi,
I am new to SatelliteGuys, this forum is great and hopefully can help me. I called today to get the VIP 922 and was told by the CSR and then the Retention Rep that I have to pay $400.00 to lease this receiver with a new 2 year agreement. I stated this is outrageous when other current customers paid $200.00 to upgrade. I have been a dish customer for 7 years now and subscribe to the Top 200 with locals and HD. My latest contract ended on March 31, 2010. So I am free to leave with no penalty. Even with all this they wouldn't budge and still said its $400.00 plus $95.00 to install. Can anyone provide any advice on what I can or should do to get the $200.00 upgrade? and not have to pay $95.00 to have it installed? I don't want to leave, but also don't think I should have to pay $400.00.

Thanks,
Nate

Try emailing CEO@Echostar.com and explaining as you have done here. It might take a few days to get an answer.

Please let us know how it goes and :welcome: to SatelliteGuys!!

Can you use your home local area network instead of a broadband connection to sling to another room with a slingplayer or using the 922?

Another data point

I called today and immediately got the $200 upgrade (+ $15 install b/c I still have the monthly service plan). I told the CSR that I wanted to keep my current plan (AbsoluteHD + locals: $34.99) and was initially told I'd have to upgrade my programming package. I started hemming and hawing and was sent to a different CSR who did allow me to get the 922 while remaining on my existing plan. So total cost to replace my single 722 was $200 + $15 + $4 more per month. I've been a customer about 18 months and am still under my initial contract. I do use Auto-pay so I've never been late with a payment. I had to re-up for 24 months and was warned about a $420 early cancellation fee (prorated down at $17.50 per month). Installation is scheduled for tomorrow.

Thanks for the great review, Scott.

This box is a big improvement!

I started with Dish about a month ago with a 722. Yesterday morning I called to inquire about upgrading to the 922. At first she was not aware that they were available, then after some checking, she set me up.

The guys came and installed it yesterday afternoon. $200 for the upgrade + my $15 service fee.

Installation went fine. Transistion was easy.

The new interface is 1000% better. Tighter feeling menus. Great added features. Even Dishonline interface is better (although they don't have it fully functioning yet.)

The Sling player is cool. One hint though....It helps to have a direct network connection to your router. We had some initial issues with my connection because the ethernet line went through a switch. Once I bypassed the switch, it worked great.

I am still having issues getting the iphone app to play. Not sure what is going on there. I think there might still be some bugs there, but on my PC, I can watch live TV and my recordings fine.

Nice work Dish!

I started with Dish about a month ago with a 722. Yesterday morning I called to inquire about upgrading to the 922. At first she was not aware that they were available, then after some checking, she set me up.

The guys came and installed it yesterday afternoon. $200 for the upgrade + my $15 service fee.

Installation went fine. Transistion was easy.

The new interface is 1000% better. Tighter feeling menus. Great added features. Even Dishonline interface is better (although they don't have it fully functioning yet.)

The Sling player is cool. One hint though....It helps to have a direct network connection to your router. We had some initial issues with my connection because the ethernet line went through a switch. Once I bypassed the switch, it worked great.

I am still having issues getting the iphone app to play. Not sure what is going on there. I think there might still be some bugs there, but on my PC, I can watch live TV and my recordings fine.

Nice work Dish!

What brand/model is your switch?

What brand/model is your switch?

It was a 4 port Cisco switch that I had gotten from Walmart to allow the single ethernet connection to service several components. (not sure of the model)

I replaced the switch with a wireless access point for all components except my 922. I wired the 922 direct to my main router.

My 722k and a Slingbox Pro HD are connected to a Cisco SD2008 8 port switch and that switch goes to another SD2008 then to an old Linksys G router. They both work great. Hope I don't have the problem you had when I get a 922 someday.

Can you self install the 922? Or is it mandatory to let them do it? I don't like anybody messing with my wiring. I have a 722 and there isn't much to it to swap. The cables all stay the same in my case.

Can you self install the 922? Or is it mandatory to let them do it? I don't like anybody messing with my wiring. I have a 722 and there isn't much to it to swap. The cables all stay the same in my case.

I went round and round with the CSR with the same exact situation and they are required to come out and do it, unless you buy it outright.

Dont forget... that if they come out they may do more then replace your receiver, if you have old legacy equipment they could swap it out while they are there and give your system a tune up. :)

Haveing them come is not always a bad thing. ;)

Just got my 922 installed. Took awhile to download the updates and everything. The installer said they just got the receiver in yesterday this was his first install for it. He was really impressed with it. Said he wants one now :) The only thing that doesn't seem to be working yet is the channel logos for the guide. Maybe it takes awhile for it to download the images. But other then that seems to be working perfectly. A+ dish

If my past experience with Dish installer hold true he will not be here today even thou I got the confirmation call from Dish on 4/7/10. It is still early and I hope he does show but I would not be surprised if he does not.

Last edited:
Question-Do you think Dish will have a reciever like the 922 (the user interface and updated items) though without the sling feature??

TV2 Question

Question about TV2- Currently i like many have 1 HDTV with 1 SDTV that on my 722 have hooked up to the home distribution port. SO if i upgrade to the 922 and plug my SDTV to that port of the 922, what will i get? Will i be able to get any picture on the SDTV? Will i be able to split it off in dual mode like on the 722 or will i get nothing at all?

I would think (at least until someone says no) that you would be able to get the TV1 signal for the home distro port since the 922 doesn't do dual mode except for the sling.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)