FIRST LOOK - ViP 922 Slingloaded DVR

I read through this thread and missed specific details I suppose. But can a person get one without broadband? I see the site says 1.5Mbps, and it's mentioned here that they ask for it when you order, and elsewhere it says some features will not function if it's not that, but I don't see if a person can order it anyway if you don't have that (maybe with just a disclaimer or something).

I am asking, because I live in a rural area. I live 15 miles from a town, population 300. That town has DSL, which only goes out 8 miles, so I can't get that. Their DSL is $50 per month, for up to 756Kbps down and up. They just upgraded to that speed a few weeks ago (and kept their same price). They just now released 1.5Mbps service, it costs $75 per month. Needless to say, few will pay that.

Many other towns either do not have DSL, or have it, but max speed is 256Kbps. The closest town with population around 4000, has 756Kbps for a little over $40, last I checked.

So, I have no access to DSL, no access to wireless or cell internet (other than 1Xrtt, with poor signal). So, I have Wildblue satellite. $50 per month, up to 512Kbps down max, 128Kbps up. Also a 7.5GB 30 day download limit. If I paid $80 per month, I'd have 1.5. Not worth it for the price, not to mention no decrease in latency, etc.

I would like this new receiver, since it has the bigger drive built in (although I could add one on with another model). Also wouldn't mind the updated interface. I won't sling anyway over the internet, but I would like to directly to my laptop if possible, on my property.

What I'm getting at is, MOST of Nebraska, South Dakota, and likely others will not meet the internet requirements, except in a couple cities. If this product is released and requires broadband..., I don't know, just doesn't seem really "fair". Especially in areas where satellite TV is the only option (as in there isn't even an over the air broadcast signal here). And especially if they could make it without really requiring the speed.

I've had my same equipment I purchased in '99. I purchased that equipment outright, and installed everything myself, they have NEVER been on my property. I have called them once to rearrange programming years ago. I was going to upgrade a couple years ago, but then I heard about this, so I figured I might as well get the newest receiver I could, and keep it a few years, and save them coming here on multiple occasions/me having to deal with service people. "This" is the device I waited for....

I realize I should probably just get a different receiver, or build a pvr box, but....

Last edited:
For those who may have had there 922 now for a bit how is the search feature, especially in the "On Demand" area?

I just ran it in Safari on my iPad, it said it's not supported while it was running! Then, said the test passed.

Hi rglore,
First, Congrats on the iPad! :D

When I run the test in Safari on my MacBook Pro it runs while saying it is not supported, but in Windows you will see 3 progress bars doing three different tests. On Safari you see only the top bar. After the test if you click "View results" you see :

Preliminary results indicate that you will be able to watch TV Everywhere with the ViP®922 SlingLoaded™ DVR.

However, we are unable to complete the Compatibility Check because you are not running IE 7, IE 8, Firefox 3.5 or higher. Please download a supported browser and try again. Review minimum system requirements for TV Everywhere from the link below.

The thing is that I HAVE Firefox 3.5 or higher, but the site does not specify anywhere that the requirements are for Windows PCs.

Scott - update on the EHD situation - sorry about the delay it was hard finding a consistent answer - not surprised.

As of right now, the 922 WILL be able to view any content previously recorded to an EHD on "supported receivers" as you mentioned, no mention of the previous one-time limitation.

However, no further information on the release of the ability to record new events to an EHD. But like you said, if the software has the option already there, it's likely to come and I don't see why it wouldn't - although the hard drive is 1TB, it's obvious that people use it for more than memory expansion.

FWIW, I just got a 922 today and it does not currently recognize my old 622's EHD. It does pop up a message when I disconnect it, as another post mentioned.

Someone else mentioned wanting DLNA and it does have that. It plays my mp3s, displays images, but lists none of my videos.

FWIW, I just got a 922 today and it does not currently recognize my old 622's EHD. It does pop up a message when I disconnect it, as another post mentioned.

Someone else mentioned wanting DLNA and it does have that. It plays my mp3s, displays images, but lists none of my videos.

It took about a day to recognize my EHD. You should wait until the S102 firmware is released before you transfer. I had 47 events on mine and the first 5 transferred okay, but the rest showed up as corrupted programs and were lost.

DLNA videos are not yet supported.

TV2 output

Are you saying this does not work? I have only a SD TV. I was told by Dish I could use TV2 for my SD TV several months ago on tech chat.

2 HDTVs?

I remember reading about this several weeks ago, but now I cannot locate the answer. Are both hd outputs live on the 922 like the 622/722?

• Broadband Internet Connectivity Required – To enable full functionality of the advanced features of the model ViP922 receiver, a high-speed broadband Internet connection via direct Ethernet or SlingLink is required.
o SlingLink is the New Name for HomePlug Turbo – Please note that we recently changed the name of the HomePlug Turbo connectivity device to “SlingLink.” SlingLink uses the power lines in the customer’s home to connect equipment, such as satellite receivers, to the broadband home network, and eliminates the need to run new Ethernet cables.

We haven't put enough of these new SlingLinks in yet to know for sure, but we are assuming they work off the same principle as the Dish Com. IE when Dish Com-ing two or more VIP receivers together if they are NOT on the same leg of the fuse/breaker box (Not the same circuit, but both circuits have to be on the same leg, or side of the panel.) it will not work.

Thanks for the great review Scott! It was a pleasure reading it!

I think I am going to upgrade to the 922 in June in hopes that the Sling 300 comes out at that time! But I am very tempted to just get the 922 now haha.

This might be a random question, but has there been any annoucements on pricing for the Sling 300, and will it be sold via DISH? Does anyone know if they might do a package deal together for a more competitive price (although 200 for the 922 is not bad to upgrade at the moment!).

Thanks in advance to those who reply, and thanks for an informative thread on the 922!

Reading this makes me think I want to replace my 722 with a 722k. While the built-in Slingbox seems interesting, the limitations and the silly additional fees make me think, 'thanks, but no thanks'. I'll stick with my standalone Slingbox.

...when Dish Com-ing two or more VIP receivers together if they are NOT on the same leg of the fuse/breaker box (Not the same circuit, but both circuits have to be on the same leg, or side of the panel.) it will not work.

X-10 has a similar problem crossing phases and they make a bridge for it. Wonder if something like this is available for Dish Com?

I am hoping that someone knows about being able to use the sling functionality on a local home network without the need for a broadband connection. Many people out in the sticks can't get broadband (satellite don't count due to FAP).

What is DLNA

What's DLNA???

dlna.org

You should be able to share music and pictures using dlna capable server on PC or NAS (Network Attached Storage) .
Some of the servers are windows media player (xp, vista or windows 7) or ps3media server , Tversity something like that. :)

Where can you find media extenders for cheap for windows media player? Cheapest ones I could find were around $100. What all can you use as a media extender? I was hoping to find something that would connect from HDMI/coax/RCA wires right into a network from a receiver then another device connect directly to a television instead of having to go through a computer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts