Fisher Communications Channels are BACK on Dish!

I don’t miss Fisher (ABC in my case) much either. Still it would be nice to have this mess settled since I can’t get OTA and I find the current internet options marginal at best.

As with newspapers (unfortunately in their case), the local affiliate business plan doesn’t work well anymore so they are desperate for any source of income. The National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) is a good part of the problem through their lobbying to maintain the status quo.

A national network over paid cable and satellite is the near future as I see it like NBC is gradually gravitating to with the USA Network and Fox with FX. Eventually most media will be by subscription over the internet once the US catches up with most of the wired world and increased high speed bandwidth.

I have not miss komo one bit we live in whatcom co. north of seattle, we are getting our abc station on 246 kgo. so dish does help its costmers with there programing.

I don't understand what you are saying.

Are you saying that Dish is letting you get ABC from another market different from the normal Seattle Market?

I have some info that I haven't seen mentioned. I hope this isn't supposed to be secret. It should all be over shortly after 6/12/09. My boss was at team Summit and talked to one of the top people at E* (and when I say top, I mean TOP). He said that after the digital switch over, FCC rules/laws will change allowing E* to bring in Locals from other markets. Fisher will be screwed and have to cave. As other people have said, I never watch ABC either, but it will be nice to have it back.

Brad

I have some info that I haven't seen mentioned. I hope this isn't supposed to be secret. It should all be over shortly after 6/12/09. My boss was at team Summit and talked to one of the top people at E* (and when I say top, I mean TOP). He said that after the digital switch over, FCC rules/laws will change allowing E* to bring in Locals from other markets. Fisher will be screwed and have to cave. As other people have said, I never watch ABC either, but it will be nice to have it back.

Brad

I haven't seen his mentioned anywhere in FCC regulation notices. Has anyone else?

I am likely to be writing to the CEO of Fisher Communications asking for an end. It hurts Dish and Fisher to do this.

I have Fisher's Senior VP of Operations email address. PM me If you would like to email him directly.

NightRyder

FISH vs DISH - Viewers Held Hostage, Day 156...and the standoff continues...

First, levibluewa, KSTP is in Minneapolis-St. Paul. Your sentence: listen to the old KSTWashington jingle for 24 hours straight (or the Brakeman Bill theme - with Crazy Donkey playing the piano).

Second, ron galley, with regard to KGO dish is not providing you "there" programming (they can't), All American Direct is.

Now some food for thought, perhaps you've all heard that in lieu of allowing the major media players up north of the border (CTV, Global, et al) the right to charge cable companies 50 cents per sub per month for carrying their signals (a scheme called "Fee for carriage"), the CRTC is proposing something similar to our retrans.

The possible twist: if the two sides can't agree on a deal, they both head to - hang on to something - ARBITRATION!!! Now that's what we need here. Give them a week, and if things are still at an impasse, send them before Judge Whozit to knock some brains into gear.

But for now, no Indy, Charlotte or Lakers-Nuggets where applicable this weekend. No Dancing, Survivor, Race or Idol finales the last two weeks. No hope for a compromise anytime soon.

Fisher are Idiots.

I do believe that it is in Fishers best interest to settle this now, as after June 12th it appears that its not going to matter anymore.

I think whoever is dealing with this for Dish should take a 2 or 3 week vacation.

I vaguely recall reading something about allowing adjacent markets to be carried, or some such loosening of the rules, but I did not think it was connected to 6/12.

Funny how we're not hearing all the moaning for the little guy being deprived of his OTA TV this time around, like we did last time. Real Funny. :rolleyes:

Brad

Not sure who you work for but I heard the EXACT same thing from a VERY good source that was at the team summit and was speaking with the top dog as well.......

We should know something by the latest end of June...... I hope this is the case because the wife wants to go back to Comcast!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts