Fox Blocks Millions of DISH Customers

Are the DMAs the same for both Direct TV and DISH TV? Is there a link that shows which Sinclair stations are the issue for Direct TV? My neighbor has AT&T U-verse. I might give them a heads up if it effects their DMA.

The DMA’s are determined by a company called Nielsen, they are the people who issue the ratings surveys. They are the same regardless of how you receive the signal.

This is one of the nasty effects of capitalism when left unchecked - Greed and unethical behavior. Many people don't want to regulate business but without strong laws and rules, there is nothing left to hold them to account other than consumers who are usually either unable or unwilling to do so. None of these media giants should have been allowed to grow this large and the fact that they could own BOTH the DISTRIBUTION and CONTENT is absurd. Now, consumers suffer.

2D2147A9-6192-4FCD-8651-9535C4F534EE.gif

I’m normally against regulations on businesses, but in this case I think congress should regulate the industry to prevent blackouts somehow.
From my simplistic, ignorant perspective, I would condense that down to preventing vendors from removing a product for which the consumer is currently or expected to pay. The contract and terms of use probably account for this and thus protect the vendor amidst the current circumstances, but I would like to see this practice eliminated regardless.

Checked my program guide for tonight and NFL Network now shows "NFL Network Programming" from 8:00pm ET onward in my guide until the postgame show. Usually it would be "NFL Football" or "NFL: Rams @ Seahawks" so it seems like this NFL Network blackout might be happening. Part of NFL Network's original pitch to broadcasters was having live games so if they're not going to show the games, I don't really see why I would need NFL Network anymore. The whole double broadcast with Fox and NFL Network was kind of silly to begin with

Reactions: pattykay
Checked my program guide for tonight and NFL Network now shows "NFL Network Programming" from 8:00pm ET onward in my guide until the postgame show. Usually it would be "NFL Football" or "NFL: Rams @ Seahawks" so it seems like this NFL Network blackout might be happening. Part of NFL Network's original pitch to broadcasters was having live games so if they're not going to show the games, I don't really see why I would need NFL Network anymore. The whole double broadcast with Fox and NFL Network was kind of silly to begin with

So, I guess this didn't turn out to be true:
NFL Network holds its own rights to Thursday Night Football. Any deal they have with the other networks for Thursday night is for simulcasts and replays. You will see the game there until and unless dish loses rights to NFL Network, which if I remember correctly, are going to be in force for a while.

I'm pretty sure Fox produces all of the Thursday night games. Not sure if that gives them the right to order a blackout of NFLN or not.

The $600M per year that Fox pays the league might have some sway too.....

Last edited:
Reactions: jamesjimcie
I believe both MLB ALDS are on FS1 on Saturday.... MLB fans and College Football Fans and NFL Fans will be on the phones on the weekend ....

Reactions: Howard Simmons
You guys are wrong, and have it backwards! It has nothing to do with Capitalism failing - It's the opposite, the Government making artificial rules and regulations rather than letting the Market go where it will is the problem, it's not letting Capitalism work. There is a place for Government intervention to make sure there are competitive markets, and for the real protection of citizens (think banning harmful drugs etc) But what we have ascended to is getting far too involved in the workings of business and manipulating the markets. And they fail sometimes at what they should be keeping under control like letting companies own too many interests such as the Cable companies or At&t owning programming which is more anti- competitive than consumer friendly.

Capitalism is an economic system based on the private ownership of the means of production and their operation for profit.[1][2][3][4] Characteristics central to capitalism include private property, capital accumulation, wage labor, voluntary exchange, a price system and competitive markets.

"cap·i·tal·ism
/ˈkapədlˌizəm/
noun
  1. an economic and political system in which a country's trade and industry are controlled by private owners for profit, rather than by the state.

The time has come and NFL Net is airing some show about the greatest plays of all time instead of the game. I’m not in an affected market and still have my local Fox (thankfully) so I can watch it there. I’m not sure how a Fox pulled this off but pretty scary that they did.

It does appear the game is not available to anyone on the NFLN even if there is no dispute with the FOX local. I also don't get how FOX can do it.

To further muddy the waters, the game is available to anyone with Amazon Prime, and to anyone with a subscription to the locals on DISH where FOX is not blacked out via that local, and of course to anyone OTA.
I don't see the connection of how FOX can deprive DISH customers via the NFLN of the game to anyone, let alone to someone who's local is not blacked out. If they are not subscribed to their non blacked out local there is no reason they are punished not getting it via the NFLN something btw they are paying for as part of their package.

I now hope DISH does not settle and if there is a court suit there somewhere they go for it and get the locals totally separate from cable channels, and sue over the game being withheld.

Apparently it's not just Dish customers. Looking at the NFL Network on fuboTV also shows the alternate programming. Looks like they removed the game from NFLN period (just to spite Dish customers?).

Remember when Fox had the exclusive Saturday MLB game, where any other game on any other channel during the time slot was blacked out? I don't put anything past them.

Reactions: DWS44

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)