Fox Sports 1 lands deals with DirecTV, Dish and Time Warner Cable

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lacubs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Erie, Pa
Fox Sports 1 has struck agreements with three major distributors that will ensure that the new cable network will be available in the majority of pay-TV homes when the network launches this Saturday, people familiar with the matter said. The three carriers -- satellite broadcasters DirecTV and Dish and cable operator Time Warner Cable -- all have agreed to carry Fox Sports 1 when it launches. Those three distributors combined reach over 40 million homes. A Time Warner Cable spokeswoman said it would have the channel on its systems when it launches. Fox Sports 1 is using real estate previously held by the Speed Channel. Fox was seeking a big fee increase from distributors to carry the network. According to industry consulting firm SNL Kagan, Speed received about 23 cents per-subscriber, per-month. The price for Fox Sports 1 in the first year is said to be in the neighborhood of 80 cents. The network will debut this Saturday with a NASCAR race and ultimate fighting. Fox Sports 1 also will have a heavy load of college football and soccer. Next year, it will add Major League Baseball. Fox is also launching a sister channel this Saturday called Fox Sports 2. Fox Sports 1 parent 21st Century Fox has a lot riding on the new sports channel, which it hopes will eventually challenge Walt Disney Co.'s ESPN empire http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-sports-distribution-20130814,0,5466870.story

Awesome. I'm glad to see Dish offering more sports channels. Hopefully this means both providers signed on for FXX too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hopefully it also means that Fox didn't get the .80c they were asking for.We'll probably never know though.

Does this effect anything the whole new Fox family? FS2? FXX? FXM and Fox Deportes in HD? The FS Ohio family in HD, too?!

Yes it does,I prefer $1 and $2 increases as opposed to $4 and $5 increases though.

thanks. i didn't know if it was a regional network or a national one. Seems like they could just give the BTN to Big Ten states, SEC network to SEC states, then make others pay for it if they are out of region and want it.

I thought that was the way it was now, guess not.

not sure if this has been reported but just read on Engadget an app is almost ready for release. This app should be similar to ESPN Everywhere app. Not sure if this is separate negotiation with providers but the article did say a few tweaks were needed for release.

not sure if this has been reported but just read on Engadget an app is almost ready for release. This app should be similar to ESPN Everywhere app. Not sure if this is separate negotiation with providers but the article did say a few tweaks were needed for release.

You mean similar to the watch espn?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts