Free DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I got a confirmation call last night saying installer coming Friday and today Fedex brought me a HDVR2... hmm wonder what installer will bring on Friday??

jabd said:
Did anyone try to order more than one? I would love to replace another of my Series 1 boxes.
If my installer on Sat. brings me an R15 which I am hoping then you're welcome to the RCA DVR40 that I have for just the cost of shipping. Read my post a few ago. I know where the one piece needs to be soldered back on but I'm thinking it's just an extra heat sink that they left in there.

Anybody have a schematic of the motherboard in the DVR40 so that I know if it has 2 heat sinks or not?

I too got the RCA DVR40. When I get home tonight, I'll take a picture of the inside of my DVR and post it here. I have mine apart so I can put in a larger drive. Now, if I can find ONE of my computers that will recognize a 160Gb drive.....

Will Directv charge you the 150.00 fee for not activating the refurb DVR if you decide to take the R-15 it seems the installers are bringing with?

jtb50 said:
Will Directv charge you the 150.00 fee for not activating the refurb DVR if you decide to take the R-15 it seems the installers are bringing with?

I was wondering that myself... I think after reading the agreement details again I will go ahead and activate the refurb HDVR2 for a couple days and check it out, then swap it back to the R15, just to be sure...

Thanks for the tip! Just placed my order! I've visited these forums a few times trying to decide which DVR I wanted, but this one is the one I was looking for! FREE! I joined the forum just to say thanks!

I will continue to visit this site for more info in the future, I'm sure! I'll also update this post to let everyone know how it goes for me!

JP

Here are the pictures of the inside of the RCA DVR40 that I promised. It clearly shows where the heat sinks are located. The hard drive is missing because I'm in the process of upgrading to a 160Gb drive.

Attachments

• P1010143.JPG
    P1010143.JPG
    194.4 KB · Views: 126
  • P1010140.JPG
    P1010140.JPG
    155.2 KB · Views: 102
Oops, so installers are actually bring an R15 with them even though D* is shipping the DVR40? I also got the DVR40 by fedex this Friday and instalation was to be today.but, since I'm moving in a couple of weeks I cancelled the instalation. Now, did your DVR40 come with the access card? mine didn't so I had to call them and they're shipping me one. what a pain!

dcwebman said:
If my installer on Sat. brings me an R15 which I am hoping then you're welcome to the RCA DVR40 that I have for just the cost of shipping. Read my post a few ago. I know where the one piece needs to be soldered back on but I'm thinking it's just an extra heat sink that they left in there.

Anybody have a schematic of the motherboard in the DVR40 so that I know if it has 2 heat sinks or not?

Thanks for the motherboard pics. My floating heat sink is the one that goes toward the middle of the case. Funny that your hard drive location is completely different from mine too as mine is just a blank spot on the case, and the drive is held down with double stick tape. It looks like yours has a screw hole at least. I'm surprised there aren't some screws somewhere to hold the drive in place like on a computer. I might just try soldering that capacitor in and placing the heat sink back to see if this thing even works.

My DVR40 did come with an access card.

The installer came Sat. and sure enough brought a brand new R15. Yay! Now I have to call D* to figure out how to get the shipping charge credited for this broken one.

I must have missed the discussion about a $150 activation fee.

Oh I see! CSR told me a bogus story that they don't ship the receiver and card together to prevent somebody from stealing them both and activating it under my name! :mad: that's why he said I didn't get my card!

Hmm, I think I may just return it then.

dcwebman said:
My DVR40 did come with an access card.

Called D* today and they said that since the installer brought a DVR with him that the shipping charge applies toward that one. That makes sense. I need to return the broken one to them and they said there should have been a return shipping label with it because that was part of the refurbished deal offer, to replace an existing unit. I don't recall seeing that but no big deal because I don't want this broken one anyway.

So, those of you who are getting the R15 from the installers: are you then just returning the refurbished one that they sent? Also, by activating the R15 are you agreeing to a 2 year commitment (like what happens when you purchase the R15 from best buy)?

dcwebman said:
Called D* today and they said that since the installer brought a DVR with him that the shipping charge applies toward that one. That makes sense. I need to return the broken one to them and they said there should have been a return shipping label with it because that was part of the refurbished deal offer, to replace an existing unit. I don't recall seeing that but no big deal because I don't want this broken one anyway.

Francisco, in my case I agreed to the 2 year commitment since I just made the switch last week anyway.

As far as returning the damaged refurbished unit, I called them today to get a return shipping label. They said they would need to send me a whole box and everything and then asked me for the receiver ID. I told them I didn't know, it's sitting at home in the box. They couldn't even tell me the number of the one they sent me.

Then I got thinking. Since I have to pay the shipping charge for the R15 the installer brought anyway, why am I even worrying about returning this refurbished one???
Jeff

gotcha! thanks. well, I think I'm just being greedy. that refurbished dvr should do fine (though it's quite noisy!), so I may just keep it. I'll be already under a year of commitment for moving my dish and I don't want to add another year to that.

Thanks again!

dcwebman said:
Francisco, in my case I agreed to the 2 year commitment since I just made the switch last week anyway.

As far as returning the damaged refurbished unit, I called them today to get a return shipping label. They said they would need to send me a whole box and everything and then asked me for the receiver ID. I told them I didn't know, it's sitting at home in the box. They couldn't even tell me the number of the one they sent me.

Then I got thinking. Since I have to pay the shipping charge for the R15 the installer brought anyway, why am I even worrying about returning this refurbished one???
Jeff

Just got mine. it's a Phillips unit. Is there any final word on the installer bringing one with them? If they do, should I let them hook it up and just keep the refubed one, and activate it later? It seems to me they are simply running this deal to unload some refurbed units, but also to retain some customers, so their cost on it would be minimal for me to do so, since I plan to stay with them anyway.

Install is Sat.

Mine did come with an access card, also. Can't wait for TiVo!

Thanks again!
JP

According to my CSR rep the work order for mine did say the installer was supposed to bring a unit. Since that's what it said he suggested that we wait before they ship me another unit since the original refurbished was broken. Luckily he did.

If my refurbished unit was in working condition I probably would keep it and replace one of my standard receivers with it.

According to the website, you can also have a receiver moved to another room that this refurb is replacing for free. Sweet. I may have them move my bedroom one upstairs to the game room.

edit: just placed my order.

Last edited:
yep, sounds indeed like a good deal and I'm thinking about doing the same. by the way, interesting name...

scrotus said:
According to the website, you can also have a receiver moved to another room that this refurb is replacing for free. Sweet. I may have them move my bedroom one upstairs to the game room.

edit: just placed my order.

well, got this stupid DVR activated today and I'm not a happy camper!! :mad: :mad: STupid CSR messed up my programming completely!! somehow, She ended up deleting my HD package, my free starz AND my HD DN!!! I finally got the HD back and the HD DN back after going through a couple of CSRs. If they didn't give it back to me I swear I would have cancelled D* and switched to Dish! Then I realized that starz was gone and also I don't see noted in my account anymore the 3 free months of HBo and 6 free months of showtime. So, it's back tocalling D* . WTF!!! :eek: And to make matters worse the stupid DVR is SUPER SLOW. I've been trying to get it to connect to th ephone but it just stays on the preparation phase forever! Crap! crap!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)