Free HD for Life?

So if I am reading this correctly, not getting switched over to Free hd for life is only a problem if you don't want platinum, since with Free hd for life you would still be paying $10 for plat. So for us with HD/Plat for $10 and want to keep plat there is no benefit of getting free hd for life, as long as the CSR the someone talked to was right in one of the posts and we can keep that package for as long as we want.

Hmm, so when I go to my programming page online, under HD, there are the options "HD 250" for $10, "HD 250 Free" for $0, and "None of the Above." Currently, none of the above is selected...any reason I can't just pick "HD 250 Free" and get the Free HD for life.

Argh, if I try that it wants me to either commit or pay. No luck.

Can anyone verify that the email saying existing subs would be grandfathered was actually from Dish to retailers?

Right now you can't get free for life if you do not already have a 24 mo commit. The commit option is not available on the web as yet according to live chat but should be sometime today. Therefore I am without HD right now since I switched packages to get it. Drat.

Existing Customer Accounts Already Subscribing to the $10/mo. “HD & Platinum” Add-on Before June 3, 2010 – Existing customers who were subscribing to the $10/mo. “HD & Platinum” package prior to June 3, 2010, will be automatically grandfathered into “HD Free for Life” without being required to enter into a 24-month “HD Free for Life” commitment OR pay the $99 HD Programming Upgrade Fee. These customers will experience no price change due to their participation in this offer; they will receive “HD Free for Life” for the life of their account and will be charged for the $10/mo. HDPlatinum add-on package.

So from what I am gathering, this is not ture then?

It's true for me. Nothing has changed on my account. Still shows as HD+Platinum, $10.00. I don't care what they call it as long as the rate is the same.

but if i want to drop the platinum, then will they drop the HD as well? fi so then that existing customer statemetn is not true.

Ok so i am very confused i guess...i added the HD+platinum pack last month so i would be grandfathered into this just so I could watch shows in HD without having to pay $10 extra a month. today i want to drop the Platinum because i simply don't wnat that extra $10 charge, now i am being told that i WILL have to pay either $99 up front or have auto pay/paperless billing to get the HD channels without paying any xtra? since i just sidned up with Dish on may 3rd will the deal that i got then expre with a new 24 month contract?

Or will i just have to call a CSR about it and hope that they know what is going on?

So when you choose HD 250 Free on the Programming page under My Account it gives you the option to either commit for 24 months and do autopay/paperless or pay the $99 fee. Can someone confirm that the grandfathering was false?

If it was false I'll just commit to 24 months. And if they ever cut off the DVRs they'll be a lawsuit before I pay that cancellation fee.

I am also confused about the whole HD Free For Life now. What if you are already in a two-year contract? :confused:

I just got HD two months ago and signed a 2 year contract. I really do not want to use auto pay. Does this mean I am pretty much sh*t out of luck in order to get the Free HD?

I just got HD two months ago and signed a 2 year contract. I really do not want to use auto pay. Does this mean I am pretty much sh*t out of luck in order to get the Free HD?

It does seem that way unless you would want to pay a $99 fee.

According to E*,

"How Can I Get HD For Life?

Option 1: 24-Month Commitment with AutoPay and Paperless Billing

• You provide a 24 month commitment (with a prorated $240 cancellation fee if you disconnect your DISH account prior to the end of your commitment)
  • You have and keep your DISH account on AutoPay. When you first sign up for AutoPay, we require payment for any balance on your account in order to make your AutoPay status effective immediately.
  • You have and keep your DISH account on Paperless Billing. With Paperless Billing, you can always see your exact same statement on dish.com/mybill and you will receive an email reminder each month when your new statement is ready to be viewed.

Option 2: One-Time Non-Refundable $99 Payment

• You pay a one-time non-refundable $99 HD programming upgrade fee."
However, will we be grandfathered in to HD & Platinum, or will we be switched to Free HD for Life (like earlier rumored or reported)? Also, note that Platinum HD will still be $10 if you keep it anyway. However, my concern would be an increase in HD & Platinum or them just changing it one day to $20/month.

I just tried to get HD for Life. Apparently, they are working out some kinks... Here is the transcript from my online conversation with a rep from 'Existing Customer Change Programming:

Ted: [Asking about the HD only packages...] So it is NOT the right-most column?
Anjo G.6TF: No, it is not. The channels on this package is not available yet online.
Ted: OK. Then I would like to keep Top250. But I would like to sign up for the 'HD for Life' deal where I agree to paperless billing and autopay.
Anjo G.6TF: Sure.
Anjo G.6TF: For you to get this HD for life promo, you must agree to a 2 year contract and have autopay with paperless billing.
Ted: I do NOT want the HD Platinum that is extra $10. I agree to the autopay/paperless billing--that's how it was before but for some reason the paperless billing was disabled the other day when I submitted order to upgrade a receiver.
Anjo G.6TF: That will be fine but since you are an existing customer, you have to go online to your account and add this up.

[I switch tabs and try to change the programming online and come back...]

Again you have to agree to the 2 year contract. If ever you will cancel, there will be a cancellation fee of $10 pro rated per month remaining on your contract.
Ted: I tried but when I select the 'HD for Free' radio button it takes me directly to a page that gives the requirements to qualify... There is not confirm or OK... The only thing I can do is press the back button and it goes back to the change programming page but that option is back to 'none of the above'.
Anjo G.6TF: I see. I apologize for the inconvenience. You might want to do this later or tomorrow because right now they are still on the process of updating the online application.
Ted: Are you able to make the change?
Anjo G.6TF: I apologize but we cannot process it here on our end.
Ted: LOL

Last edited:
If you already are in a 24 month commitment I believe you will need to renew a 24 month commitment and sign up for c.c. autopay with paperless billing. Basically you will be extending the commitment.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts