Free TVJ TV Japan hidden (again) 9989

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

r10fret

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
FL
With todays uplink changes the free segments of TV Japan on 9989 were hidden in guide, thus making them no longer available as FREE TVJ segments as the programmer intended. As usual dish doesn't know what one department is doing and the other is intending to do, and this is like the forth time in 2 years for this to happen.

Answer back from DIRT says it will stay hidden this time. There is a post in the uplink section and he says he subscribes to TVJapan and he no longer sees the free news in the guide. Perhaps it no longer is available thus being hidden? Enjoyed watching that news most mornings.

Those segments may still be free, per agreement with the provider. But, Dish probably doesn't want people to know that, thinking it reduces the number of possible subscribers.

Why buy the cow...?

You really have to stop. Dish didn't have the guide info changed to hide anything....

Dish has also sweared (canned response) the same thing the last few times then 2 or 3 weeks go by and after contacting TV Japan directly they get it restored on dish, as TV Japan is the programmer that wants the news shows to be Free TVJ.

Answer back from DIRT says it will stay hidden this time. There is a post in the uplink section and he says he subscribes to TVJapan and he no longer sees the free news in the guide. Perhaps it no longer is available thus being hidden? Enjoyed watching that news most mornings.

You really have to stop. Dish didn't have the guide info changed to hide anything....
Do you even read your own posts before knee-jerking your defense of Dish?

I was merely responding to your post that stated they hid it, and postulating why they may have done it.

Did YOU read my post?? Someone who subscribes to TVJapan says the guide no longer reflects free news. That would indicate a change in programming, Dish did not make a change in programming.Once there was no more free programming Dish has no reason to keep the guide info available to non subscribers. Your're so quick with the conspiracy you missed that.

I didn't think I needed to repost his response in the other thread, but OK, here it is.
I subscribe to TVJ & now get both the SD & HD feeds. FYI, the guide no longer indicates "FREE TVJ" in front of the news program listings. Maybe there are no longer any free blocks that non-subscribers can watch, so that was why they deleted it from the non-subscribers guides.

By the way, the HD feed looks GREAT!!

I guess he's quick to defend Dish too.

Last edited:
When I first noticed this channel in the guide a few weeks back, I posted a question here about it because when I tried to select it my system would go into signal search mode. Someone here aid it is not generally available. Only in Hawaii I think he said.

When I first noticed this channel in the guide a few weeks back, I posted a question here about it because when I tried to select it my system would go into signal search mode. Someone here aid it is not generally available. Only in Hawaii I think he said.

The channel that was available to everyone has been only on the 118 satellite for awhile. There is another channel that is strictly for Hawaii and for a long time it was wrongly letting us pick it, but it had no signal because it was spotbeamed to Hawaii. Unless you have the 118 satellite you can't get the channel on CONUS.

Last edited:
Did YOU read my post??
Yes I did. Here is is again with relevant points emboldened.
You mention the word "hidden" twice. This is why I postulated as to why Dish may have hidden it. You then berate me in your next post saying:
Dish didn't have the guide info changed to hide anything....
Do you understand now why it looked like you jumped to defend Dish, despite what you yourself had written shortly before?

If they haven't hidden anything, and simply made a change to the way the guide info is written, that is what needs to be stated here. Nothing ominous about changes is nomenclature. But, when things are hidden, there is usually an ulterior motive.

You know, it is certainly easy enough to check if NHK News is still free. Just tune to it, and see for yourself. I can't, as I subscribe to the channel.

BTW, If the news is still free, but the guide doesn't reflect that, then my original postulation that Dish doesn't want people to know it's free would be correct, wouldn't it?

You know, it is certainly easy enough to check if NHK News is still free. Just tune to it, and see for yourself. I can't, as I subscribe to the channel.

BTW, If the news is still free, but the guide doesn't reflect that, then my original postulation that Dish doesn't want people to know it's free would be correct, wouldn't it?

Gary, your lack of understanding still amazes me. "Hidden" is the actual term used ANYTIME a channel is not listed unless you subscribe. There are many channels that are "Hidden." You honestly thought that meant Dish is hiding something?? You yet again made this into a conspiracy. And then you continue to get it all backwards. YOU can see if the guide still says free for certain newscasts, it always did weather or not you subscribed. Obviously (well I guess not to you) since I do not subscribe, I can't check, that's the WHOLE premise of the posts, the guide is only available to those who subscribe, that would be you. And again, no, Dish did not cause the guide supplied by another company to be changed.
I'm going to allow you should you choose to have the last post on this because I don't think you are understanding the situation, or you wouldn't say I could check and you can't, it's the exact opposite. The slew of emails I received tells me I'm talking to a wall, so for this discussion I've gone as far as I can.

Last edited:
Gary, your lack of understanding still amazes me.
If it was written clearly, there would have been no lack of understanding.
You honestly thought that meant Dish is hiding something?? [/QUOTE]Well yeah, as that was what was written.
You yet again made this into a conspiracy.
I've never made anything into a conspiracy in any thread. I was pointing out a possible business decision.

And then you continue to get it all backwards. YOU can see if the guide still says free for certain newscasts, it always did weather or not you subscribed.
I have it backwards because that's the way it has been presented in the thread. I am familiar with TV Japan's guide info, having taken advantage of the Free News for years before subbing. FYI - None of the news programming says "free" in the Dish EPG anymore. But, I still can't tell you whether the news shows are actually free or not. My guess is no, if the channel itself is hidden.

And again, no, Dish did not cause the guide supplied by another company to be changed.
And you know this how?
FYI - The Tribune data, nor any other source I have ever consulted, have never shown FREE for any program on TV Japan. That was unique to Dish.

I'm going to allow you should you choose to have the last post on this because I don't think you are understanding the situation, or you wouldn't say I could check and you can't, it's the exact opposite. The slew of emails I received tells me I'm talking to a wall, so for this discussion I've gone as far as I can.
I do understand the issue now, as you finally explained what the issue was. Looking at the posts earlier in the thread, I still don't see anything about the channel being hidden. Only the free news segments being hidden. Hence, the confusion. I apologize for the misunderstanding

Slew, huh? Pretty good for a thread with such minor interest. I'll bet I can guess who at least a handful of those emailers are, btw. ;)

I am contacting TV Japan to find out if they are aware of the change after more then a decade.

https://www.nhkcosmomedia.com/en/contact-us

TV JAPAN: 24/7 Japanese Broadcasting Channel

I don't just blindly trust what anyone at dish says because in the two past years, a few weeks have gone by and they have completely reversed corse and restored the free segments and two different people at dish, even at corporate offices, will give you two different rationales, based on the petty programing disputes and shifting channels to the 9000s there is not a lot of oversite or forth though at dish. This is from almost 2 decades experience. I still think the best outcome for dish to follow is to fnally provide NHK world as a free PI and charge for TVJ since it is now HD.

I know everyone wants everything free, while that would be nice I don't expect free as NHK is not a PI channel. However I agree with you it would be great if NHK were available, possibly as EuroNews is, A La Carte, OR - if they would put it in the World Pack, and allow us to get that without getting an international channel.

I know everyone wants everything free, while that would be nice I don't expect free as NHK is not a PI channel. However I agree with you it would be great if NHK were available, possibly as EuroNews is, A La Carte, OR - if they would put it in the World Pack, and allow us to get that without getting an international channel.
There are TWO versions of NHK available to the Western world via sat: NHK World and NHK World Premium, the latter called TV Japan in the US and Canada.

NHK World would be the one for the World Pack, and a great addition, at that. Almost all of the programming is either subtitled, English SAP, or originally produced in English. (It is available locally OTA for me. Looking forward to the OTA module to add it back to my DVR.)

At the risk of being accused of being a conspiracy theorist, I'd have to imagine that Dish would not want to add a channel to a low-priced package that includes a lot of the programming found on a high-priced channel. Just sayin'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts