Free TVJ TV Japan hidden (again) 9989

Ok, if you don't want to answer Gary, :p I also want to know if you have HD does it show free news segments..... I don't want to see him keep quoting himself.

TV Japan SD is back to normal. I tune it yesterday and all the weekend shows usually free is back on including the news segment.

Thanks for all your help writing to TV Japan and Dish.

TV Japan SD is back to normal. I tune it yesterday and all the weekend shows usually free is back on including the news segment.

Thanks for all your help writing to TV Japan and Dish.
Do you have an HD receiver? If so, can you check if the free news is also on TVJ HD? I believe it's 9991 on VIP's and 623-02 on Hoppers. I'm curious. I subscribe to it, so I can't check. It's all always visible to me.

No the new HD 9991 is flagged hidden (not visible in guide to non subs of TVJ) so no one is seeing it except TV Japan subs.

I would be interested to know since Gary is a sub if the same segments listed as FREE TVJ use the nomenclature FREE TVJ in the guide on 9991 since he can see it and we can't.

No the new HD 9991 is flagged hidden (not visible in guide to non subs of TVJ) so no one is seeing it except TV Japan subs.

I would be interested to know since Gary is a sub if the same segments listed as FREE TVJ use the nomenclature FREE TVJ in the guide on 9991 since he can see it and we can't.
I see. So, non-subs don't even get 9991 or 623-2 in their EPG. FYI - "FREE NHK News" is not in the HD guide. (The News is, of course, but it doesn't say "free".)

I have a feeling that needing different guide data is why they recently moved TVJ HD to map to a different channel than TVJ on the Hopper. Originally, they were both mapping to the same channel number, as HD channels usually do with SD counterparts. But, at some point recently, no doubt coinciding with the restoration of "Free" segments in the SD guide, they changed it to map to 623-2.

This was a real PITA, as I originally had to change all of my wife's timers to 623-1 HD from the 623-1 SD, and then again from 623-1 HD to 623-2. We have at least a dozen timers on this channel. I didn't mind doing it the first time. But, having to do it a 2nd time was quite annoying.

I'll bet the addition of TVJ HD was probably the cause of the "free" guide mixup in the first place, as the two channels probably shared the same guide data due to the map down to the same lower channel.

Personally, I think this whole nested channel feature on International and RSN channels causes a problem where none existed before. They found a solution for a problem that didn't exist, and created one instead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)