Free TVJ TV Japan hidden (again) 9989

fingers-crossed-emoticon.gif
+1

(Even though I pay for this channel. I want others to be able to enjoy NHK News in HD.)

I would say until next time, but something tells me this whole story isn't exactly over just yet, we need to wait and see what happens at the end of the preview with the hidden flag on 9989.

Also 9990 @ 119 hawaii spotbeam is finally gone for us in conus to prevent our receivers from hanging while transiting across the channel.

However, the new HD version on 9991 is on preview but showing red in guide during news shows and viewable during entertainment programs, this is what I call dish-backwards to the way the free TVJ segments worked before.
I am interested to see if 9991 has the secondary audio available in English on the Japanese audio channel during certain shows.

At least TVJ got their ear this time, since dish ignored us.

I am interested to see if 9991 has the secondary audio available in English on the Japanese audio channel during certain shows.
It is available. I forget all of the programs with English SAP. But, I do know off the top of my head that the full Sumo broadcasts, not the 30 minute highlights, and Begin Japanology have it. Maybe Cool Japan, too. (Or is it subtitled?)

But, here's the kicker: If you want the English audio, you need to set Alternative Language in the settings menu to Japanese!

For a full listing of TVJ programming with English SAP and/or subtitles, go to:
TV JAPAN: 24/7 Japanese Broadcasting Channel

Last edited:
It looks like tuesday's news 7 which airs at 6am eastern on the HD channel 9991 is no longer flagged incorrectly and now shows available in guide instead of red.

So I was finally able to check "news 7" which airs at 6am eastern on TV Japan, the 9989 SD channel has english audio available when you select japanese (dish-backwards) like it has been for a decade, but unfortunetly the new HD channel 9991 does not have the secondary audio in english available by selecting anything. I love how methodically dish sets up a channel which costs $25 a month.

So to get around this simple fix the sub would in other words have to tune one tuner to 9991 for HD picture then tune the other tuner to 9989 (with audio preference set japanese) to get the english audio, then swap your audio cables.

That's dish network for you. What a company! Hopefully TV Japan can get it corrected since trying to go through dish customer service to get the secondary audio on the new HD 9991 would yield as many excuses as you can imagine.

Last edited:
SD free news remains (returns) now that freeview is over......

Last edited:
What about the selected shows usually free on Saturdays and Sundays morning hours? Will those shows be free since Dish turn the news segment back on for free.

One show is Begin Japanology and another show is a singing show where the guests comes out to sing.

I check out TV Japan schedule and the usually free shows is highlighted in BLUE color. This include news and the selected shows I am asking about.

So I was finally able to check "news 7" which airs at 6am eastern on TV Japan, the 9989 SD channel has english audio available when you select japanese (dish-backwards) like it has been for a decade, but unfortunetly the new HD channel 9991 does not have the secondary audio in english available by selecting anything. I love how methodically dish sets up a channel which costs $25 a month.

So to get around this simple fix the sub would in other words have to tune one tuner to 9991 for HD picture then tune the other tuner to 9989 (with audio preference set japanese) to get the english audio, then swap your audio cables.

That's dish network for you. What a company! Hopefully TV Japan can get it corrected since trying to go through dish customer service to get the secondary audio on the new HD 9991 would yield as many excuses as you can imagine.

$25 sure cost a lot for one station. If the station air more drama series, shows from the other TV stations in Japan, it will make the value more worth it. Right now, the selected drama series from other station is 6 months old. Too bad the other TV stations in Japan won't launch their own stations in America due to strict license agreement and video rental business.

The 24/7 free preview has ended, but while the SD channel 9989 remains in guide and is not hidden there are no free tvj segments like news 7 at 6am eastern viewable in the guide, So I believe we are back to square one, I believe the right people at dish are reading this thread now and aware now and have also have been contacted repeatedly by TV Japan directly on the matter and still dish is enjoying toying with both us the viewer and the channels operator TV Japan.

TV Japan responded today in regards to the SAP issue on the HD version.

"According to the latest information from our headquarter office,
Dish Network is still on the process of testing the HD broadcast of our channel,
and the English audio has not been set up yet."

If I was a sub of TV Japan for $25 a month Id voice my displeasure about the lack of SAP on the HD ch.

Dish Network, take it or leave it.

Yes Amateur Singing Contest and Begin Japanology are both showing free. They are on Sunday early afternoon EDT.

Refreshed my guide data and suddenly right now the programs labeled "Free TVJ" are showing in the guide again on the SD channel startng at 7pm this evening and I am watching it right now during G.M.J. and "news 7" with the SAP is back starting tommorrow morning at 6am eastern.

Dish network, the story changes every hour. stay tuned...

Since scrolling through the guide does not show programs less than 30 minutes I just did a title search on my receiver using the # and FREE TVJ for the next 24 hours

6/27
7-8pm
11-11:15pm

6/28 Thursday
2-2:10am
5-5:10am
6-6:30am
6-6:55am
7-7:30am
8-9am
10:30-1120am
11:20-11:30am
3:50-4pm
5-5:30pm

all times eastern, since none of these times are red in guide they should be available for viewing.

So now we are finally back to square one and how things are supposed to be, since this whole saga began exactly 2 weeks ago, then was further complicated/delayed by the full scale 24/7 preview.

I tune it at noon and then, one of the shows got turn-off. And, 10 minutes later, the news, it went back on for free. On my guide, it does not highlight any other shows for free. I need to wait until a news segment and see what will happen.

Too bad the free preview is only for a week. Usually 2-3 weeks for some other ethnic foreign channel.

So, TVJ HD doesn't have the free programs?
Nobody seems to have answered my question.

Are any of the free news shows also available on TVJ HD? Or, have they limited that to the SD channel? If the latter, it's too bad. OTOH, I can understand their logic behind it. The free shows are a nice perk, btw. They didn't do that on Comcast or ATT, when I had them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)