FreeView of MLB Extra Inning on DirecTv (Including HD games) July 14- July 18

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm no engineer, but I think they are sending D the same thing they are sending me off air. By the way I had sync issues in the early innings too. That was a first for Yes. I watch all the games that they show on 94.

The difference in PQ between FOX and YES may be due to fog and air polution in LA. Also the differenc was in color intensity which is not related to 720p vs 1080i. :(

Warning: rank speculation ahead!

I think the reason the YESHD game looked so great (and I agree, it did; also, I agree there were a lot of audio sync problems) is BANDWIDTH. I speculate that DirecTV gave as much bandwidth as they could to the YESHD telecast because it was MLB Extra Innings. The pay packages get priority bandwidth to keep the high-dollar customers happy.

Just a theory.

--Dino

FSN HD West2 was also HD and part of the MLB EXtra Inning. They should also get as much bandwith. However, I do not think it is a 720p/1080i issue. I have seen excellent games produced in 720p to blame it on this. I think it is a combination of the poor production of FSN HD west 2 and D* problems with low bandwith and maybe HD lite. I am looking forward to see how the Baltimore vs Mariners game look tonight. If it is the same, at least for me the Extra Inning package it is not worthy. I also believe that you will probably get the same thing with NLF Sunday Ticket games in HD. Some games get more bandwith while others are just pure HD Lite. I will not pay more $$$ to D* until they provide a package that is worth the $$$ in HD.

Guys, I'm not trying to be rhetorical. But wouldn't band width have to do with multicasting? As I said before I am no engineer, if someone could answer that I would love to know the answer for sure. I'm going to miss tonight's game because I have to go to a wedding on GOD'S end of Long Island. I am looking forward to reading about it tomorrow though.

Let me be like the 10th to say that the PQ for the Yanks & Sox was awesome. It was as good as all of the football games last year. That was good enough to be a hard disk feed and must have been full bitrate. As others mentioned how does D* plan to sell HD lite after displays like that?! It was a better looking feed than I get OTA. I thought was very odd since my local fox affiliate is a full spectrum broadcaster while my local NBC uses 4 of 5 channels in their spectrum for DTV.

ESPN HD is showing Pittsburgh vs Cubs right now and it looks awesome. It is like night and day between what FSN HD west2 was showing last night and what ESPN HD is showing today. Both 720p but ESPN HD is 100 times better than FSN HD West 2 and as good as 1080i YES HD.

i would still like to see some printed test data on that rather than subjective word of mouth. its all speculative to me till someone post some tech reports. i had both and if there was even a fly's hair difference anyone would be lying to say so.

Slightly more detail on E* than D*...but both pretty good.

charper1 said:
i would still like to see some printed test data on that rather than subjective word of mouth. its all speculative to me till someone post some tech reports. i had both and if there was even a fly's hair difference anyone would be lying to say so.
You Had... I have... things change, imho

FSN Northwest pre-game has one HD camera on one of the commentators and it looks the same way as FSN West2 HD.

charper1 said:
thus this thread because last night's games was the exact opposite, the 1080i rocked all over the 720p

But with baseball you're not going to get the same fast moving/panning shots as compared to, let's say basketball. The CBS Football great quality is an exception, but their shots during action are a little far away. I agree, 1080 is great for baseball (WGN), but I got quite a bit of macroblocking from the same network with basketball

I hope nobody pays for the baseball package for the out of market HD games we are all enjoying this weekend. During the rest of the season these HD games are blacked out even for MLB subscribers. I think this free weekend is dang near false advertising. But I wish they would falsely advertise this way more often.

shamill said:
I hope nobody pays for the baseball package for the out of market HD games we are all enjoying this weekend. During the rest of the season these HD games are blacked out even for MLB subscribers. I think this free weekend is dang near false advertising. But I wish they would falsely advertise this way more often.

Not true, DirecTV recently changed it so that the HD games are available to everyone with EI, it's been that way for about 2 weeks to a month now. Some Dish Network customers said they just got an email that told them Dish was going to start doing HD games as well for EI customers, but there are no details on that yet

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts