Friday Fun Poll Extra 5-16

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

How many of us here are Hams (Amateur Radio Operators)?

• Yes I am

Votes: 18 43.9%
  • No I am not

Votes: 22 53.7%
  • I once was

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Getting my license

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTAsquirrel

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 1, 2007
How many of us here are Hams (Amateur Radio Operators)?

1. Yes I am a Ham
2. No I am not
3. I Once was
4. Getting my license

Myself I have been a Ham for a long time, 20 years now and its great. It still has a place today with all the modern communications we have now, Ham radio is still a blast. Hams have used many of the new tools to make some very interesting systems. You have a mode or flavor for just about anyone in Ham radio. Myself I am a low power operator or known as QRP (5 watts). I do not do code just voice and data.

Listening to shortwave radio got me into Ham radio a long time back. Listening to shortwave radio got me into FTA 2 years ago.

For more info on Ham radio you can start here. Ham Radio and Amateur Radio Operators, ARRL, Emergency Radio Broadcasting

For more info on FTA stay right here on SatelliteGuys

thought about it years ago when I worked at Radio Shack :)
but havent thought about it recently....have a few police scanners to listen to them :)

I am a ham operator for about 18 yrs now. I think scanning the bands is what is getting me into FTA. I like to scan so it is a natural fit. Still setting up my first system and I am working through the learning curve. My dish and motor should be here Tues. I am as excited about this hobby as I was when I became a ham. I have collected a bunch of radio stuff over the years and looking at some of the post here, it looks like this (FTA) hobby will do the same. Iceberg may back that up. So I guess, let the collecting begin.

Welcome to the HAM band newcomers!

Myself I have been a Ham for a long time, 20 years now and its great. It still has a place today with all the modern communications we have now, Ham radio is still a blast. Hams have used many of the new tools to make some very interesting systems. You have a mode or flavor for just about anyone in Ham radio. Myself I am a low power operator or known as QRP (5 watts). I do not do code just voice and data.

20 years --- Welcome to Ham Radio.

My wife and our grandson have been hams for about 12 years. I have been an Extra class for 11 or 12 years. I got my novice :eek: AHHGH I'm not that old..:eek: in 1957.

The next poll might be who is active on what bands? Maybe a net on 15 or 20 meters! ;);) But then, a net might take time away from FTA, but then again aaaaaahh (got to keep the vox working) aaaah maybe we come see who could tune to a new satellite and find a new feed the quickest. NAH. :rolleyes:

But it might be interesting to try paket ---.

yep, WA6 _ _ _

Got my ticket somewhere back in the very early 70's
Not so active since cell phones and internet replaced auto-patch and packet modems.
Used to hang out on 2mtrs, 220, and 440 mostly.

Dated a woman who was a ham, once... well more than once... for several years! - :rolleyes:
And, I have call-sign plates on my car.

I have call-sign plates on my car.

That is classic ............ I love those plates , wish they had FTA plates ( hackers need not apply ).

I fooled around with a Montgomery Ward SW Radio in the 70's and 80's , later I got myself a Grundig Yacht Boy 400 and did many QSL reports , even sent reports to hams during certain events .

I also listened to single side band so I could hear the Hams , last time I listened was around 9/11 , since then I have occasionally listened ....... I used to mostly listen to RHC Radio Havana , but since I can get it on Hispasat and so much more I don't have the need to listen anymore.

Yup - just got my general two weeks ago! (KD0COV)

Twin Citians may find me on the 146.85 repeater now and then. If you hear me say hi, we'll talk FTA :)

I am not a Ham operator, but have many friends who are.

They have all at one time or another tried to get me to become a Ham, but I keep telling them that "a man has got to know his limitations" as Clint Eastwood says. :)

I used to do Citizen Band in the early 70's, but that was my only experience with radio. Even got an official license. :)

My uncle who was a Ham gave me an amplifier for my car radio. It was an old tube type, but it had some power. The problem was when you keyed the mike, it would darn near shut off the lights if it was night time. :)

Linuxman, I have an uncle who used to be a ham operator, but hasn't been into the hobby for many years. A friend of mine in the broadcast business is an ATV operator. I've never been either one though...

No. No interest. My wife's Dad was, but alas he passed before we met, so I missed out on that. :(

I DO, however, remember my Dad's CB license number...KAXU 2871

How many hams here?

Someone brought this up a day or two ago in another thead and got me wondering how many of us are hams. I bet threre are quite a few.
My call is VE9WTH, I've been a ham for 12 years or so, have an advanced ticket with the 12wpm morse endorsement. I haven't been active for quite a while, when I was active I really liked designing and building antennas, and almost always used morse code to converse on hf and was mostly a listener on the vhf bands...was always mike shy:eek: So....who else?

My call is NG4EM...extra class since 1992. I'm not as active as I once was as I need to get my HF antenna operational. I was pretty active on HF digital and will probably get my digital station operational again soon. I had an Echolink node that was operational for many years but I have sold most of my radio equipment and I recently sold my dual band mobile I had in my truck because of lack of use. I'm now down to only one radio...a Yaesu FT857 that covers everything.

de K7EVI 11 years at extra -- missed the 13 wpm for general, but decided to take the advanced and extra theory to get it out of the way, and SOLID copied the 20 wpm for extra! So I got credit and all three in one day. Got the novice in 1956 or 57...

The other thread was in FTA Shack and was the bonus fun poll this friday.

merge ?

I just suggested the two threads be merged.
They have been, so that's a good thing. - :up

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)