Front Projection Help?

Yep, 720p LCD is very good and I have no say on 1080p LCD so they may be correct. The Pany and the Epson you listed look very good, as well as the upgrade of mine the PLV-Z5 so I would like to see the Epson in use; but like Jag I hate to wait on it seeing that two other great option are already awaiting my cash! Thanks.

Correction to my earlier information:
The Optoma HD7100 actually has lens shift and is not suffering from the offset issue.
It has nice specs and very good user configaration options, but only 1000 Lumens and more expensive bulb than other Optomas in this price range.
If you can find it for under $1500 with a spare bulb - it would be a steal deal.

Diogen.

OK, One last question to make sure I am understanding things.

I think that I am going to go with the Panasonic PT-AX200U. I can get the projector and 3 year warrenty with 2 lamp replacements for $1402 shipped. I think this is a pretty good deal.

But I have three final questions.

1) This projector has a 2 to 1 zoom on it. Does that mean it it would display a 98" picture at 20' then you could use the zoom to get 196" at 20'?

2) Using that type of zoom would your picture quality be worse?

3) I stoped by a home theater store today at lunch as was told that you get better picture quality the further the projector is from the screen. I was planning on installing to projector 10' to 11' from the screen but they recomended installion at the back of the room (around 20'). The way they discribed it makes good sense but I wanted to see what others thought.

Charper1 and diogen, Thanks for all your help you have given me in this thread.

Last edited:
...was told that you get better picture quality the further the projector is from the screen.
That is somewhat right... and somewhat wrong. :)

The closer the projector to the screen, the wider the light cone, the bigger part of the lens is used, the more important the quality of the lens becomes. Cheap projectors have... well, cheap lenses. That creates non-uniformity in light across the screen, loss of focus close to edge of the screen and CA (chromatic aberration, when a black and white picture has bluish edges).

But today, especially in the 720p (not highest resolution) projectors, this is more theory than practice. First, the lenses ain't Zeiss but they are getting better. Second, you have to have really trained eyes and be spoiled watching perfest material on perfect equipment for a long time to see this as not acceptable.

The further away the projector is mounted, the less of the problems mentioned above. But you get another: light scattering. You would have to cover your whole room in black velvet to avoid reflections washing out the picture on the screen (you can avoid this problem by creating vacuum in your home theatre... :p)

Net-net, there is no problemless solution.
Avoid extremes and go by the layout of the room. I'd go rather closer than further...

Diogen.

Along with what was mentioned above, I was thinking the statement JAG read/heard was alluding to the fact about "the farther your VIEWING SEAT is from the screen the better"; BUT that goes totally hand-in-hand with Diogen's comments above. To me these are some interesting reads:

1080p Does Matter - Here's When (Screen Size vs. Viewing Distance vs. Resolution) » CarltonBale.com

Home Theater Calculator: Viewing Distance, Screen Size » CarltonBale.com

TV Viewing Distance

Some likely repeated material.

The closer the projector to the screen, the wider the light cone, the bigger part of the lens is used, the more important the quality of the lens becomes. Cheap projectors have... well, cheap lenses. That creates non-uniformity in light across the screen, loss of focus close to edge of the screen and CA (chromatic aberration, when a black and white picture has bluish edges).

This is pretty much the same thing that the tech mentioned to me. The only part that was missing is you added the portion on light scattering.

Thanks for the confirmation on the subject.

Any comment on Question 1 and 2? I assume that question 2 all depends on the lens that is in the projector.

You both provided some great info on the other one. There should be a thread that has those two comments sticked at the top.

I'm in a similar boat, was looking at these projectors as well. I had it narrowed down to the Panasonic PT-AX100U, the AX200U is basically the same with a few new features, and is around $1K. Just fyi, if you want something much less expensive - $300-400 less, there is a lot of discussion re: the Acer PH530 on AVS Forum. not as good as the Panasonic or Mitsubishi $1K units (all 720p), but heard that it is a very nice first projector, and bulb replacements are $200.

1) This projector has a 2 to 1 zoom on it. Does that mean it it would display a 98" picture at 20' then you could use the zoom to get 196" at 20'?
Yes, it does. But you don't want that big of a screen and probably can't.
2) Using that type of zoom would your picture quality be worse?
Don't understand the question. Keep it in the middle 0.7-1.4 and you should be fine.

RE: Distance. In addition to charper1's links, have a look at this
http://www.satelliteguys.us/974649-post12.html
Here is how I did it
http://www.satelliteguys.us/974748-post17.html

There are many "rules" to follow when setting up a projector in a home theatre and you can't follow all of them. For example, for best soundstage, the higher frequency drivers on L/C/R speakers all have to be on the ear level. That would mean the center speaker goes behind the screen. That requires sound transparent material as a screen what in turn introduces light leakage, costs an arm and a leg and isn't that transparent to start with.

I thought it to be important to have the screen properly located.
When sitting on a couch, your eyes are about 3' from the floor. It is recommended (and from experience, I consider this to be right) that your eye level is 1/3 off the bottom of the screen. These two numbers provide enough information to calculate the size and position of the screen. Make sure you leave enough room for the L/C/R speakers.

Diogen.

Well it is all done but the waiting. I just purchased the Panasonic PT-AX200U today for $1400 including a three year warranty that includes two lamp replacements. Just received the email that shows everything has shipped so I guess I know what I will be setting up next weekend.

The screen still needs to be purchased. I am thinking about waiting to get the projector and then purchase the screen to make sure I don't get one to large. My heart is telling me to get a 106" :eek: but my mind is saying a 92" will be plenty big for the room. I should have the projector on Tuesday so I will set it up on a table and see what size I need. I then will order the screen to have it by Friday and setup will take place next weekend weekend.:D

Still looking around for what screen to purchase. I would like a good screen at a resonable price ($200 - $250).

Well I received the projector today. :D Set it up and turned it on for the first time to begin the setup and configuration of it. Then after 2 min of use the bulb blew. :mad: I guess I will just have to wait a few more days to play around with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts