Front Projection Help?

My fav is DLP, I don't see rainbows. Don't use anything for players but HTPC, for years.
Having many projectors in the past, the single biggest effect I've seen was due to getting
rid of the 3:2 pulldown: movies at 72/96Hz look different... the way they suppose to.

Never noticed this "defocusing" effect. But never really tried - I also use the HTPC/PJ for
internet browsing, e-mail, etc. where this would certainly not be desirable.

Diogen.

OK, So far everything is going pretty good but I have one more question. The projector is all setup and my HD-DVD and Blu-Ray player both look great and fill the screen 100%. The problem is that when my H20 Directv receiver is hooked up I sometimes doesn't fill the screen 100%. I normally get a 1" border at the top of the screen. The sides and bottom still go out to the borders of the screen but the top is about 1" down. I have also noticed that on my ABC OTA feed that the H20 does fill the screen 100%. Is this normal? Is it just noticeable on this because of the size of the screen?

If you are using a 16:9 or HD format screen; remember that not all aspect ratios will be exactly 16:9; some like Anamorphic Scope (panavision) will still give letterboxing.Is this the issue? The backs of the DVD case "should" list the aspect ratio; if not you can get it online. Terminator 2 is a great example.

Widescreen-o-Rama! All About Aspect Ratios

Aspect Ratios

I fully understand that, but in that case you would see the letterboxing effect on the top and bottom of the screen. Like I said in my other post, it is only on the top of the screen about 1". Example - ABC fills the enitire screen on an HD broadcast. CBS leaves about 1/2" of blank screen on the top only. Discovery HD leaves about 1" of blank screen on the top only. All these examples are in 16:9 broadcasting. I don't see this issue on my 50" DLP on the same broadcast but see it on the projector. Could this possible be that my 50" DLP is doing overscan so I don't see the issue?

ahh, now I understand; sorry I mis-read. Are you noticing this difference on say a 720p vs 1080i? Are you using NATIVE Res discovery or always outputing to either 720p or 1080i? Am I making any sense in my rambling?

Could this possible be that my 50" DLP is doing overscan so I don't see the issue?
That would be my guess. On a 50" height screen 1-2" is just 2-4% and that would be in line with what normal TVs overscan.

Diogen.

ahh, now I understand; sorry I mis-read. Are you noticing this difference on say a 720p vs 1080i? Are you using NATIVE Res discovery or always outputing to either 720p or 1080i? Am I making any sense in my rambling?

Making perfect sense. I am outputing everything native. I do not know if it is either happening on 720p or 1080i. I will have to look at that later.

OK, try seeing what you get if you setup your DBS to out at a steady 1080i (or 720p) and your projector to auto. I get the best results with this method. See if you still get your issue, but I have a feeling that Diogen is the correct one here.

That would be my guess. On a 50" height screen 1-2" is just 2-4% and that would be in line with what normal TVs overscan.

Diogen.

This is what my problem was. I played around with adding some overscan to my projector and it now does not have the black bar at the top of the screen on the channels that had it.

Thanks

This is what my problem was. I played around with adding some overscan to my projector and it now does not have the black bar at the top of the screen on the channels that had it.

Thanks

I'm glad that fixed it. I noticed that ABC is the only network that didn't have the problem. Isn't ABC the only network you mentioned that also uses 720P as their broadcast format?