FTA Awards

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Othea

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Wouldn't if be nice if one of the leading FTA Internet sites (hint, hint) established annual prizes for the top 5-10 English language and the top 5-10 foreign language FTA stations available in North America?

Of course, there would have to be clear guidelines for evaluating the quality of programming and a dependable panel/committee of individuals able to reach qualified decisions. (Sorry, I'm not convinced that the typical forum vote would be a good measure of "quality" here...)

The advantages of such prizes could be:
* honor those stations that provide us with quality programming
* enhance the reputation of the award-giver
* provide incentive to new and existing stations to seek one of the "coveted" FTA awards
* give the best stations out there one more way to attract funding
* give us the opportunity to gripe about something when our favorite FTA station doesn't make the list

Wouldn't that be nice?

I have thought about this before actually.

Problem is doing something like this.

I have a hard enough time paying for the $500 SatelliteGuy of the Year Prize and the $100 trophy which comes entirely out f my own pocket. :)

Scott Greczkowski said:
I have thought about this before actually.

Problem is doing something like this.

I have a hard enough time paying for the $500 SatelliteGuy of the Year Prize and the $100 trophy which comes entirely out f my own pocket. :)

Now had you sold the email list..... JOKING! :) Thanks for the AWESOME site Scott! I will renew my $ every year, as this is BETTER than any mag sub! - AND CHEAPIER!

I don't think your average TV station would be interested in receiving money (unless we're talking megabucks, of course), but it certainly could take pride in winning an award.

Good point, Larry.

Although Othea's idea is well intentioned, I think any FTA awards could have some unintended consequences. The only channels up there really encouraging FTA reception are the religious channels. The others are there for relay purposes, and not really for public consumption.

Equity knows we're out here, and they apparently don't care (they may even like the additional viewers) but the networks they carry do care... which is why they had to scramble that Fox station.

Montana PBS may also like picking up a few additional viewers through FTA, and may even get some donations during pledge week from some of us... but if other PBS providers knew Montana was getting viewers coast to coast, they would probably force them to scramble.

jh98 said:
Good point, Larry.

Although Othea's idea is well intentioned, I think any FTA awards could have some unintended consequences. The only channels up there really encouraging FTA reception are the religious channels. The others are there for relay purposes, and not really for public consumption.

Equity knows we're out here, and they apparently don't care (they may even like the additional viewers) but the networks they carry do care... which is why they had to scramble that Fox station.

Montana PBS may also like picking up a few additional viewers through FTA, and may even get some donations during pledge week from some of us... but if other PBS providers knew Montana was getting viewers coast to coast, they would probably force them to scramble.

Bingo! These "FTA awards" would only likely result in us losing our best signals. Of course that may happen anyway eventually but this could really hurry it along.

How about...

Instead of making it the "FTA awards", why not the "Satelliteguys.us" awards? This could give some more publicity to this site.

Since most of the stations we see FTA are also available on pay satellite services a "Satelliteguys" award wouldn't have to mean that the channel(s) were viewed FTA.

Categories could reflect the possibility of pay satellite viewers, OTA or FTA without pushing the FTA part.

For instance: Best Classic TV programming schedule: TV Land, RTN, etc.

Best Independent Talk Show: Unreliable Sources, Out There TV, etc.

Instead of having tropihies or monetary awards each winner could be sent a certifiecate. I'm assuming the winners/nominees would be selected by members of thiis site so the influence of FTA would be present, just not thrown in the face of winners, some of which might have network/program clearance problems if the FTA reception was emphasized.

Hehe, I made this little animated GIF of Dr. Gene Scott..

gene.gif

gene-1.gif

FTA Awards sounds good to me, but not publicly, it could be more like a poll were the highest votes decide the winner.

Categories like Best English Language Satellite Ku and or C band. Example G10

Best Foreign Language programming Satellite and or channels. Ex. IA-5

Best Educational and or Cultural programming Ex. PBS, Canarias Intl., Cubavision Intl.

Best Satellite for News Feeds

Best Sat for Sports Feeds.

Best channel Childrens Programming.

Best Adult ;) ;) channel, well you know eye candy Ex. Foreign Music video channel

Best or Favorites Audio Channel

The List could go on and on.

Othea said:
I don't think your average TV station would be interested in receiving money (unless we're talking megabucks, of course), but it certainly could take pride in winning an award.

Closing thread. I copied some of the reponses from this thread :)

iafirebuff said:
Of course it could also advertise that people (other than the intended taget) is watching their signal, hence scrambled signal :-(
exactly.

jh98 said:
Good point, Larry.

stefan said:
Bingo! These "FTA awards" would only likely result in us losing our best signals. Of course that may happen anyway eventually but this could really hurry it along.

I think some people have to realize that we are not the intended targets for FTA channels. We are a small niche group who usually lay below the radar. If we start calling the broadcasters or having "awards" then people will find ouot and stuff will get scrambled quicker.

And its usually a 3rd party that request scrambled. JH98 used a good point with PBS. And we've lost some other stations because a 3rd party requested that channels get scrambled :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FTA with Dish Network Satellite

outdoor channel and 120cm dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)