FTA just got more expensive

Status
Please reply by conversation.
ken2400 said:
If we wait long enought things will work out for us. Dish Network will do what DTV did OR a different receiver will be needed and there will be a ton on E-bay and other sources. Just wait and it will happen.

Dish needs to do whatever it takes to get rid of the hacking IMO even if it means going to a new system. What sense does it make to put money into something that doesn't work?

I have been thing about an FTA system myself, but right now it is not in the budget. It takes me a long time to make a decision ( It took me 4 months to order my Bev system). These damn hackers are screwing it up for everyone. God forbid they pay for anything. If they would start puting these people in jail it might stop them, but I doubt it. There are alot of people who want something for nothing anymore.

Chuck should keep swapping the transponders that the channels are on every day. That would keep them too busy scanning or changing channel lists to watch tv.
I like the one about kicking them in the nuts. I proclaim this September 29 as national kick hackers in the nuts day.

on-topic

the topic is: FTA just got more expensive

What other price increases (or bargains) has anyone found?

Iceberg said:
not good at all.
Well it is all covered my insurance...but it still sucks.

i am trying to decide if I want to go with a new FTA receiver, or get one of those PIC cards and build a cheap HTPC to put it in.

RVD420 said:
Well it is all covered my insurance...but it still sucks.

i am trying to decide if I want to go with a new FTA receiver, or get one of those PIC cards and build a cheap HTPC to put it in.

Much as I love my HTPC, I'd go with a STB.
WAY too many instances where I wish I had blind scan :p ..unless you LOVE constantly entering data in and bugging others for feed freq's. I think half the fun and magic of FTA is running into those new or temporary signals. This is rather hard to do on a DVB card :/

*gets down off soap(rant?)box and shuts up*

Think it's pretty pathetic to blame hackers for the obvious price gouging. It's simple, supply and demand. Also, throw those greedy distributors in the mix and you havethe readson for all the price gouging that's going on. Now I'm not agreeing with hacking, but let's blame the right individuals here.

It may very well be the "Hackers" to blame. But, with my conspiracy theory mind, I would have to think that demand brings higher prices. Look at fuel prices. I guess we can blame the hackers for that price increase too. If you just look at the increased interest on this forum alone. I would say there's a great demand going on right now. And anyone in there right mind is going to get it (money) while the getting is good. It's been my experience that when an item is "Hot", the price is higher. When less people want it, it will probably come down.

Al

Don't get me wrong here. Companies that make FTA receivers just might not stay in business without the extra "bad" sales. We could have less choice in manufacturers and higher prices. Kind of works both ways.

Our typical approach is to blame end users and not the FTA manufacturers and distributors.

and the answer is....

I'd tell ya, but I'd get thrown off the forum.

Is that a good enough hint? ;)

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Just one question. What is driving the current demand (as indicated by higher prices) for certain FTA receivers?
Who cares about what is driving the demand...do we blame consumers for the price gouging my gas companies? This is the typical business approach, if there is a strong demand for our products regardless of usage, drive up the price to make a quick profit. Prices will fall when more companies start playing in the FTA arena. This is business 101 period.

Didn't answer the question. :) Well all I know is that I paid $140 for my Coolsat. Then N2 was cracked and now Coolsats are $200 plus. So I still say hacking is driving the demand which drives the prices. ;)

RVD420 said:
And now because of the damn hackers its going to cost more to get a new FTA receiver.

Makes me wanna kick hackers in the nuts.
I am not pro hacking community but
why kick hackers? kick dealers , they raise prices
Dealers take profit, dealers decide for prices, if they will be not gready prices will be the same, Dealers take profit from hackers
what you think?

Marcyjok said:
I am not pro hacking community but
why kick hackers? kick dealers , they raise prices
Dealers take profit, dealers decide for prices, if they will be not gready prices will be the same, Dealers take profit from hackers
what you think?

Making a profit is not "greed". What part of this chain don't you guys get:

Cheap Receivers>N2 Hacked>Expensive Receivers.

Simple logic.

In my humble opinion it ultimately it goes back to the manufacturer. The manufacturer makes a receiver that turns out to be "hackable" (by design maybe?) which generates a high demand for these products because the hackers are buying them up like hotcakes. As a result the manufacturers raise the wholesale price they charge the dealers, in turn, the dealers raise the retail price in order to make a profit (granted some raise it more than others). I could be wrong, but it just seems to me that some of the receiver manufacturers seem to cater to/depend on the hacker market.

dogstar1313 said:
In my humble opinion it ultimately it goes back to the manufacturer. The manufacturer makes a receiver that turns out to be "hackable" (by design maybe?) which generates a high demand for these products because the hackers are buying them up like hotcakes. As a result the manufacturers raise the wholesale price they charge the dealers, in turn, the dealers raise the retail price in order to make a profit (granted some raise it more than others). I could be wrong, but it just seems to me that some of the receiver manufacturers seem to cater to/depend on the hacker market.

I think you are correct. No doubt that the Mfgs. make money from hackers.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)