FTA KU Band Satellite info please!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Important. What dual lnbf do you have?
Just like Primestar31 suggests. Take your receiver with you and a screen with you. Make sure your lnbf settings are spot on.
Heck. I've aimed a webcam at my TV and Skyped myself before on a phone or tablet to see signal strength when aiming dishes when it's a pita to haul it all outside. It work's!
Look at the most recent FTA channels for the satellite you want to aim at on TVRO.
On the right side of the the list on the satellite transponder and channel listing look for one with as high a percentage as you can find. Click on North America. It will take you to a page with a footprint for signal you can expect to find for your dish size.

Dishpointer will get you ball parked of where to aim your dish. Take the displayed elevations and azimuth with a grain of salt.
You will find you need to make little sweeps right and left looking for a signal.
Elevation settings will need to be made in minuscule parts of a degree until you finally snag a signal.
You'll find when you tighten the hardware that you need to make tiny adjustments to keep your signal the strongest.

We've all been there. Patience. And good luck.
Hi, Thank you for the info, I ordered a meter with screen to find the satellites but its late on arrival. I am taking your advice and just going to wait for it to come in before I try any more. Thanks again for all the information!

Oh, Sorry my lnbf is one that I have copied the sales info on this post:
FUNCTIONAL IN ALL WEATHER CONDITIONS
====== HIGH DEFINITION LNB =======

This LNB is used to feed up to TWO different receivers. its dual output will allow all the receivers to achieve a good quality signal all at the same time. This item will work with all FREE TO AIR signal such as:

TELESTAR 5 AT 97W,123 GALAXY, AMAZONA 61 W, GALAXY 10R ,11R, 27, 25, GALAXY 28 AT 89 W, AMC, ANIK F2, ANIK F1R, AMC 1, 2, 5, 3, Galaxy 3C AT 95W,Galaxy 19 AT 97W, Galaxy 25 AT 93.1W, , Galaxy 16 AT 99W,Galaxy 18 AT 123W, Galaxy 27 AT 129W, AMC 21 AT 125W, SatMex 5 AT 116.8W, SatMex 6 AT 113W, AMC 2/4 AT 101W , AMC 6 AT 72W, Horizons 2 AT 74W, AMC 5 AT 79W, AMC 9 AT 83W, AMC 3 AT 87W, Galaxy 28 AT 89W, DISH NETWORK 105 AND 121
GALAXY 10 ,11R, 93, 61 AMAZONA,
63W estrela, 71.8W nahuell, 79W amc5, 91W galaxy11, 93W intelsat6, 95W galaxy 3C, 97W intelsat5, 101W AMC4, 103W AMC1, 105W AMC15, 107.3W Anik, 111W Anik f2, 116.8W Satmex5, 123W Galaxy 10r, 127W Galaxy13
Digital HQ Single LNBF
  • Low noise figure
  • Easy Installation (40mm Throat)
  • Excellent Performance
  • Low Power Consumption
  • High quality weather protection

• TWIN UNIVERSAL LNB
    • Hope this gives you an idea of what I got.

Thank you for the info, it will come in handy. I am already trying to find an affordable c-band dish for me to use but they are very expensive and shipping cost almost as much as the dish as far as I can tell. Do you know any c band dish sellers that don't want an arm and a leg for a set-up?
I found my 10' Unimesh C-band dish on Craigslist for $75 about 15 years ago. The seller made it a condition of sale that I remove the concrete and pole. I had to rent a jackhammer. But I didn't mind because i needed the large diameter pole anyway.

I have also obtained two Birdview C-Band dishes on Craigslist. One was free and the other was $25.

Used C-Band dishes are getting harder and harder to find. But with lots of patience, you should eventually be able to find one.

Reactions: FTA4PA
May I make a suggestion for a first time user? Bring that dish back on the ground. Then, using a temporary pole that is plumb and a TV that is nearby (or even in the house where you can see the screen through a window or door), you can play around until you find what you want. When you transfer it back to the roof it should only require minimal tweaking.

Reactions: Corrado
Do you know any c band dish sellers that don't want an arm and a leg for a set-up?
You start looking around your own area, and find somebody that has one in the yard they want removed. Check your local Facebook Marketplace, and Craigslist. Otherwise drive around, and when you see one, consider stopping and asking for it. That's by far what the majority of people here do.

IF you find one that looks like a good one, (metal mesh, stay away from old fiberglass dishes) do not pay more than around $100 max for it, but ask for it for free first, just for the removal and getting it out of the owners yard.

Ok Guy's...I still need help! LOL. Its been a week and I have spent about 10 hours collectively on my roof trying to hit a fta satellite. I don't know what satellite to aim for. Its seems I only have a southern view that is unobstructed. I am in Florida zip 33465 and I need the stats for a dish that provides as many channels as possible. I have a gtmedia v8 finder2 to find the dish but don't know the satellite(s) name/info to put into the meter for a choice and start moving the dish around so it will notify me it has connected. All I get is this meter beeping my ear off! LOL. Once again...any and all help form you folks has been a lifesaver and I hope to get more help. Thank you ahead of time for any/all info.

Michael,

Finding the first satellite is definitely the hardest. After that, the other ones get easier because you develop a system for tuning the dish in.
1. Turn off the beeper in the settings of the sat finder. It’s terribly annoying. You will see the signal increase when you get close to a bird.
2. Select satellite 97W on your sat finder
3. Go to dishpointer.com and place the location exactly where your dish is. Zoom in all the way. Select the satellite you are looking for (97W) and see where you need to point. The line it represents on the map is surprisingly accurate. I pick a spot close to my dish where the line intersects (a neighbor’s tree, the corner of my fence, etc.). This spot will be very close to the azimuth you need to be at. Slowly raise the dish and see if the signal strength increases. When the strength peaks, and if not locked, rotate very very slowly left or right. See if you can get a lock. At your latitude you are very south in the US, so the birds are high in the sky. The dish will seem like it’s pointed too high, until you wrap your head around the offset dish angles. We are at the same latitude, and I actually had to flip my mounting bracket around in order to get the elevation needed for 87W, which is in all practical purposes our southern satellite (no FTA 81-87W). So, keep in mind that you may be close to maximum elevation using the standard setup (right-side-up).
4. Go back to page 1 of the discussion and follow what KE4EST is advising you.
5. Check out YouTube videos by Robbie Strike and Northcoaster Hobby for tips and tricks. Donald Jones on YouTube is also excellent.
Keep at it. You’ll eventually get it.

Michael,

Finding the first satellite is definitely the hardest. After that, the other ones get easier because you develop a system for tuning the dish in.
1. Turn off the beeper in the settings of the sat finder. It’s terribly annoying. You will see the signal increase when you get close to a bird.
2. Select satellite 97W on your sat finder
3. Go to dishpointer.com and place the location exactly where your dish is. Zoom in all the way. Select the satellite you are looking for (97W) and see where you need to point. The line it represents on the map is surprisingly accurate. I pick a spot close to my dish where the line intersects (a neighbor’s tree, the corner of my fence, etc.). This spot will be very close to the azimuth you need to be at. Slowly raise the dish and see if the signal strength increases. When the strength peaks, and if not locked, rotate very very slowly left or right. See if you can get a lock. At your latitude you are very south in the US, so the birds are high in the sky. The dish will seem like it’s pointed too high, until you wrap your head around the offset dish angles. We are at the same latitude, and I actually had to flip my mounting bracket around in order to get the elevation needed for 87W, which is in all practical purposes our southern satellite (no FTA 81-87W). So, keep in mind that you may be close to maximum elevation using the standard setup (right-side-up).
4. Go back to page 1 of the discussion and follow what KE4EST is advising you.
5. Check out YouTube videos by Robbie Strike and Northcoaster Hobby for tips and tricks. Donald Jones on YouTube is also excellent.
Keep at it. You’ll eventually get it.
Thank you so much. I feel much better with something to shoot for right off the bat. I thank you so much for the help and my sore knee's thank you too.!

97W is a weird satellite. Not a whole lot to watch unless you speak Arabic, etc., but it’s definitely interesting. 100+ channels of international FTA goodness. Every once in a while I will scan through the channels because there are a few that are English speaking. There is an intriguing news channel from Iran that is in English, and it is interesting to see what is coming out of there.
The main reason people say to start with 97W is because it has some strong transponders and it is generally one of the easiest to lock in.

DO you recommend a satellite that has a lot of English channels? And Thank you for the added info.
Unfortunately, In Ku there really isn’t one satellite that has a lot of English channels or channels period. When it comes to stuff that is actually worth watching you will find 6 on this one, 3 on that one, 7 on another, etc.. Some will have just wild feeds (news trucks and live events), but it’s a lot like fishing. You just have to get lucky and catch them.
What I did is I first got comfortable with tuning in individual satellites. After a week I switched to another satellite. When I was TOTALLY comfortable with that I went to a motor setup. Now I watch from 87W all the way to 129W with the push of a button. The motor setup can have a big learning curve to it, so I would definitely wait if I were you.
If you can transition to a ground mounted pole setup that would really be the best. Climbing up and down on the roof can start to suck really fast.
If you are a news fan/junkie I would tune into 87W. You will get the 7 CNN newsfeeds which will have breaking news, news conferences, live shots, etc. You should also pick up Louisiana PBS, the Florida channel, and some other stuff.

Bummer, I don't think that my hope of getting more tv channels to replace my huge cable bill is not going to work for me. Its a shame I spent all this money ( around $450 bucks) and I am not going to get much. I can't even use a big o'le c-band dish do to the large pine trees I have surrounding my property. I think I might end up packing it all up to sell used and take a huge loss. Thank you for all the help. I'm still going to give it a shot for poops and giggles.

Just as clucas stated...

For the learning curve, I would practice the dish aiming and tweaking at ground level. Perhaps setup the dish on a pallet or some object that is sturdy and not going to move within the clear view of the sky and elevation.

Not to add to confusion but just for something to get started, what about 125W? TP 12180V, 30000 for the PBS channels.

Your LNBF info states universal type. Be sure that is what is selected in your receiver menu. LNBF power on etc.

Bummer, I don't think that my hope of getting more tv channels to replace my huge cable bill is not going to work for me. Its a shame I spent all this money ( around $450 bucks) and I am not going to get much. I can't even use a big o'le c-band dish do to the large pine trees I have surrounding my property. I think I might end up packing it all up to sell used and take a huge loss. Thank you for all the help. I'm still going to give it a shot for poops and giggles.
FTA Satellite is more of a hobby of scanning the satellites to see what you can find like HS foot ball, Preseason NFL, concerts and events. There are some encrypted channels that pop up In the clear from time to time but they go back encrypted quickly usually. If you have good internet I find the best value for your money for cable tv shows is Discovery+, Paramount+ and Hulu VOD. Hope you keep your satellite equipment as a hobby.

Thanks again folks for the feedback. I gather that this will be more of a hobby than a substitute for my huge cable bill. I am currently trying to learn my meter and to track some satellites. I am know thinking of setting up a motorized system but am finding it difficult finding anyone who sells a setup that is for KU band and for my 4' dish. Any ideas or connections who sells them and what is needed to have this kind of system?

Thanks again folks for the feedback. I gather that this will be more of a hobby than a substitute for my huge cable bill. I am currently trying to learn my meter and to track some satellites. I am know thinking of setting up a motorized system but am finding it difficult finding anyone who sells a setup that is for KU band and for my 4' dish. Any ideas or connections who sells them and what is needed to have this kind of system?

KU & C band plus an OTA antenna replaced our DirecTV subscription years ago but then again our tastes are fairly simple and we are willing to do without a few of the things we liked for the cost savings. We did have Orby ($40/mo) until they discontinued service.

As far as a motor for your 4ft (1.2M) dish here is one from Casey at Hypermegasat. I don't have any personal experience with it but have purchased other things from him in the past and he is a good guy to deal with. Be sure to confirm the tube size of your dish before ordering. Hope this helps! :)

Reactions: rimichael
KU & C band plus an OTA antenna replaced our DirecTV subscription years ago but then again our tastes are fairly simple and we are willing to do without a few of the things we liked for the cost savings. We did have Orby ($40/mo) until they discontinued service.

As far as a motor for your 4ft (1.2M) dish here is one from Casey at Hypermegasat. I don't have any personal experience with it but have purchased other things from him in the past and he is a good guy to deal with. Be sure to confirm the tube size of your dish before ordering. Hope this helps! :)

Thank you. I'll check them out and thanks for the quick reply!