Please reply by conversation.

Spin

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 28, 2004
State of Confusion
Ok here we go,

I'm looking into getting into a little FTA fun. Well I'm looking at the 76cm winegard dish, Wondering what reciever is the best. Well most memory and fastest blind scans I guess. I have a complete clear view to the south, no trees or buildings so that's a plus. I want a motorized system. Still haven't ordered anything but suggestions on where to order would be appreciated.

Ok Here is the hard question..... I have a Dish pointed at 61.5 for one intl channel from dish network. Well that channel is also available at 121. So is there anyway I can do FTA and this one Dish channel from the same dish on a motor? or should I just keep the 61.5 dish for now? My real goal would be FTA and the one dish channel on the same box but I don't think that's possible.

Suggestions on recievers, locations to buy, and an answer to my Dish / FTA question would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Spin

I like the Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra receiver and would suggest a 36" dish (or biggest you can afford over that) and a QUALITY LNB.

So you wouldn't bother with a 76cm, I am in Springfield Missouri, if that makes any difference. Funny that our WB is on Galaxy 10-R. And if I go larger who makes a quality dish?

I agree with all of the above, (if you can find a one) a meter (1m) Winegard dish would be a great choice of dish, add an Invacom LNBF and your off to a flying start. I would keep the 61.5 dish even if its possible to get your International channel on 121W. You (may) want to be able to have access to your international channel all the time and not have to motor over there each time you want to view.

Again the Fortec Star Lifetime Ultra gets the thumbs up, unless you want to kick it up a notch with the Coolsat.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=63321

Nearly forgot the SG2100 motor, thats what I use.

http://www.dmsiusa.com/sg2100.htm

I agree with Pete on the 61.5, as I ended up setting up an additional dish for the wife on 121W for the German International. You will also still have to keep your Dish Network recv as those channels are Dish Net Scrambled. Good Luck.. I have been having a blast with it since starting.

Rick

I agree with the above...keep the dish at 61.5 for the Int'l one for the time being

I have a 76cm dish and keep kicking myself that I didn't get a larger dish right away. I have a Pansat and a Coolsat and the Coolsat is a nice unit. Blind scans faster than the Pansat. I think PSB put a link to the review I did :)

Spin said:
So you wouldn't bother with a 76cm, I am in Springfield Missouri, if that makes any difference. Funny that our WB is on Galaxy 10-R. And if I go larger who makes a quality dish?

Yep...Most of the stations that Equity owns are on G10

Its nice to have different options (especially during football season)

So I've been noticing that a lot of people use PCI cards, and those don't do blind scans? Are there any advantages to a PCI card over a reciever box?

Also does anyone know where I can get a 1m Winegard dish?

S

Spin said:
So I've been noticing that a lot of people use PCI cards, and those don't do blind scans? Are there any advantages to a PCI card over a reciever box?

Also does anyone know where I can get a 1m Winegard dish?

S

PCI card with the right software can decode HD and 4:2:2 frequencies...a receiver cannot
(4:2:0 is in the clear...4:2:2 is "scrambled" on receivers....this isnt hacking)

Receivers can do blind scan

Is there much HD available FTA if you use a PCI card? I didn't notice anything at lyngsat or on the lists in the FAQ

Sorry about all the questions.

Ok.. Here's What I ended up getting

76cm Winegard dish.. Too hard to find a 1m dish. So this is just to start playing.

Invacom LNBF on PSB's Suggestion.

Coolsat 4000 Pro (based on Iceberg's review)

Going to wait on the motor, I've already spent too much money.

Still wondering about a PCI card. Seeing the letters HD makes me curious. Is there anything up there in HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)