FTA newby

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Argaz

Original poster
Jan 1, 2020
Houston
Happy new year everyone,
I just returned from Europe and saw how much FTA satellite and do. I just started looking into the cost and I was wondering if you can help me. I live in Houston, TX and like to get as many legal free channels as possible. Can someone tell what is the minimum invest required to buy an FTA satellite dish , receiver and. What are specs for both. I would love to get English, French and Spanish channels in addition. To available us stations.
Thank you

Reactions: spongella
:welcome to SatelliteGuys Argaz! Lots of stuff on FTA, but not the same as it is in Europe. Go here and look at some of the channels that are available.
Most of the it is on C-Band though in the US that requires a big dish.

Happy new year everyone,
I just returned from Europe and saw how much FTA satellite and do. I just started looking into the cost and I was wondering if you can help me. I live in Houston, TX and like to get as many legal free channels as possible. Can someone tell what is the minimum invest required to buy an FTA satellite dish , receiver and. What are specs for both. I would love to get English, French and Spanish channels in addition. To available us stations.
Thank you
Welcome to Satellite Guys! :) As KE4EST said, check out Lyngsat. Look for the channels that have a red F in a white box. Those are in the clear. As he also said more available on c band than ku. If you are still interested you can get a new ku dish with a pll lnbf for $119 (free shipping).

There are two receivers that are popular right now. The Amiko HD265, an execellent basic receiver and good for those starting out as it is simple to use. You can get one here.

Also available is the Edision OS MIO 4K and + model (dual tuner). A much higher learning curve but 4K capable (not much 4K yet but you will be ready) and able to do lots of other things. You can get one here.

C band dishes are available here but if you look around you may be able to find an older used one cheap or even free. Go for a 10ft or bigger.

Happy new year everyone,
Thank you

Welcome to the forum! It is really inexpensive to get set up. Depends on your budget and how fancy of a system you want. You can look around and find a used dish for practically free. New LNBF's are cheap too. Probably the biggest cost is the receiver unless you are not too picky and buy an older used one. Of course you can spend more and buy everything new. I am just getting back into FTA so I don't know the current models or pricing.

Glad to meet you Argaz and welcome. There is a learning curve with FTA but the folks on this forum collectively have centuries of experience so you've come to the right place. You can also check hypermegasat.com, he's a reputable dealer just like the ones mentioned in previous posts. Do a site survey first, that means look around your property to see where you might install the dish, should be pointed generally in a Southerly direction with minimal obstructions. Good luck getting your station set up and keep us posted.

Argaz, shipping dishes is often costly. Especially C-band dishes. Since you live in Houston you should know that you have a local dealer in SW Houston (Stafford). Satellite TV Systems Products - Sadoun Sales International
I personally find their website difficult to use. None the less you might be able to save some money with local pick up. I do find that their prices are a bit high. But if you shop around and get a better price they may match it.

You've come to the right place. The people here at satelliteguys are very knowledgeable and helpful.

From other sites I see a lot of the people using "FTA" receivers in Europe aren't legit FTA. They have sub cards, flea market cards, etc.
I haven't delved into adding Ku band to my C band rig yet. There are "some" fta channels on C band. But without a steerable dish there would be a whole lot less.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)