FTA or Glorystar?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

theater4fun

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2009
U.S.A.
Hello,
I am looking for a little advice. Would it be better to buy a FTA setup or Glorystar? I am new to both so I am hoping someone will give me their two cents. The reason I am asking is because my parents (who live in Northern Minnesota) are thinking about buying a GloryStar system. I was researching the options on this site when it occurred to me that it might be better for them simply to buy a FTA setup. This would be for my parents who are retired and currently do not have much access to free tv. They don't even have access to all major networks.
What is easier to operate and/or maintain? Would they still have access to the Christian channels they are looking for? From what I have seen they would.

Thanks for any comments.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

A Glorystar system is a FTA system with advanced features. You may receive both the religious and the secular FTA channels with the Glorystar receivers (GEOSATpro) or any other MPEG2/4 receiver.

The right choice really depends if your parents would prefer the convenience of the satellite receiver's channel list being automatically updated and maintained by Glorystar or would they prefer to scan, arrange, delete and maintain their own channel list. Glorystar was developed to bridge the gap between the technical knowledge required to install and maintain a FTA system and the desire of the average viewer who just wishes to enjoy the content. Since this question was posted in the PC sub forum, I assume that you are considering a PC based solution? If so, I would recommend that a PC based satellite receiver can be quite challenging and will present a much more difficult learning curve to receiving FTA programming. Probably not a good first system for anyone but the more die hard techie!

If this is your or your parents first experience with free to air programming or systems, the Glorystar system will provide a simpler installation and viewing experience when activated in the Glorystar mode. The Glorystar system is provided with simple step by step installation guide, aiming coordinates based on the customers zip code and a preprogrammed receiver that eliminates the requirement to understand menu settings necessary to install and scan the FTA channels.

If they wish to explore other programming, simply perform a factory reset and activate in the advanced mode to maintain their own channel list or add additional satellites. Activating the receiver in the advanced mode provides the customer with a highly developed FTA receiver with excellent performance and features. At anytime, the receiver maybe reactivated in the Glorystar mode to restore the convenience of the automatic updating and channel list maintenance.

SatelliteGuys hosts the official Glorystar forum. You might want to read through some of the threads and ask more specific questions about the products and features.

Good Luck and enjoy Satellite Guys!

Last edited:
SatelliteAV pretty much hit all the good points.....this one I really like

The right choice really depends if your parents would prefer the convenience of the satellite receiver's channel list being automatically updated and maintained by Glorystar or would they prefer to scan, arrange, delete and maintain their own channel list.

I set up a relative with my GeosatPro 200 receiver set up in Glorystar mode. They get the Glorystar approved channels and nothing more. What I like is they live about 45 minutes away so if they screw it up I wrote down how to reset the receiver. When they follow the instructions it automatically loads the channels back in. And when a new G* channel is added I dont have to try to explain to them over the phone how to add them. It automatically does :)

Although I do miss that receiver

One other thing I have done.... I have saved my station choice for the advanced setup.... When I wanted to use the glorystar setup, I rebooted to Glorystar. When I am done, I will go again to the advanced mode and reload my personal list. I actually have not tried to go back, but I am quite sure it will work, and the Glorystar setup is almost PnP.. (Plug and Play)

Are you nearby your folks? Are you considering an FTA system, too?
If you are going to install for them, get a GloryStar system and get your feet wet.
It's not hard to install, but there are professional installers if it comes to that.

Then, based on what you learn, get another GloryStar system for yourself if you're happy.
...for all the good reasons listed above. - :up - ;)

You joined the forum in 2009 and this is your first post? :)

Thanks everyone for the great information!
I have been looking around for the past couple of days and there is really a lot of information to absorb.

" If so, I would recommend that a PC based satellite receiver can be quite challenging and will present a much more difficult learning curve to receiving FTA programming. Probably not a good first system for anyone but the more die hard techie!"

You are right! I actually was only looking at this forum for my own interests as I have been playing with HTPC for years now and wondered what was in here. I thought I had gone back to the main FTA forum before posting but I didn't. Sorry about the confusion!:eek:

Thanks Iceberg,
It sounds like GloryStar would be fine for my parents as I know they are not interested in anything too technical. I live about 4 1/2 hours drive away so I couldn't come too quickly to try and reset the box. Although, I would definitely want to test the advanced settings when I am around to try and get any other channels that I could.

Thanks rv1pop,
I was looking around the Glorystar forum and found that rebooting is great to go back to the Glorystar setup. However, I read some people were having trouble working with the advanced setup. I guess I will need to read more and can play with it when I see it.

Yes Anole,
I did register way back in 2009! You have a good eye! Back then, I was trying to determine what I wanted. Dish or Directv. I have had both on and off for several years and currently am coming to the end of my Dish contract. So now after checking into FTA options, I am starting to think about setting one up for myself too and then having a Netflix account or something such as that to fill in any programming holes.

While looking around I am still not clear on somethings. With the standard Glorystar setup and in advanced mode, how many sat. could I see? Would a motor setup be a good investment?

Actually, even with any other brand name sat/ receiver combo I am not clear on what satellites I could see. I have seen so many lists telling me what channels go with what satellites for USA but for a new guy like me its a little unclear. Is there any area that is good for new people that talks about this?

Thanks again!

So, you are going to install for the folks?
Here's an idea:
- get the system with all the parts at your house
- plant a temporary pole in your back yard
- install the fixed-dish system
- watch TV and get some experience
- have the folks over to preview it
- after a month of 'testing', take it over and install it for them.
- you can get the same or by then, you may have found (here on the forum) some other equipment that suits YOUR needs better. - :up

Thanks Iceberg,
It sounds like GloryStar would be fine for my parents as I know they are not interested in anything too technical. I live about 4 1/2 hours drive away so I couldn't come too quickly to try and reset the box.
and if they accidentally screw it up, write down how to reset it. Its only a few steps.
The neat thing with the Glorystar "mode" is most of the menu options are not available as they are in advanced mode. Items like sat setup and channel editor are not in the G* mode. Also there is a favorite list you can set up (actually its automatic) where if you only want to see the English language channels it only shows them, if you want just Spanish chanenls it will just show them, etc

Thanks Anole and Iceberg,

Well I spoke with my parents today and they already have received the equipment for a 1 room setup. They even have an installer lined up for Monday. I guess I don't need to get too involved just yet. However the next time I visit, I am definatly going to play with the advanced mode to see how it goes. It seems that by default, galaxy 19 is where the dish will be pointing so I will see what is available. Also, I am still researching other FTA systems for myself.

Do you people have any suggestions for a FTA system? Also (this might be for another post), I see many of the advanced members seem to have multiple satellite systems including FTA and a pay for devices. Is that common? Do many people have various systems and just add FTA satellites? Sorry, these are just newby questions.

Thanks!

I have or have had, DishNet, BEV (similar Canadian system) subscription (pay) satellite TV service.
Some of us have subscriptions to Netflix, where we get discs in the mail, OR watch the shows through our internet connection.
I used to rent DVDs at my local store.
Here in Los Angeles, there are around 90 sub-channels available to watch over-the-air, and I am set up to record any which are interesting.
Also, I supplement my viewing by downloading weekly series (but, not so much movies)

So, there are lots of methods for obtaining entertainment in addition to FTA.
I don't think there's any one -best- way, and so I dabble in all ways. :)
And I like to be able to time-shift my viewing, so I record my FTA.

theater4fun said:
Well I spoke with my parents today and they already have received the equipment for a 1 room setup. They even have an installer lined up for Monday. I guess I don't need to get too involved just yet.

:)

Just make sure that your parents verify that the installer gets the Signal Quality readings balanced and has the them peaked as high as possible above 50% on the 3 set-up channels 901, 113 and 106 before running the channel update (page 49 in the manual). Very common to see these Signal Quality readings at 70+ %.

Failure to peak AND balance the Signal Quality on these 3 channels will cause unreliable reception during inclement weather and difficulty tuning channels on weaker transponders. Would hate to hear that you had to peak the dish and/or LNBF skew in order to play with the reception in the Advanced Mode.

For my regular TV viewing, in addition to FTA gear I have a Silicon Dust Dual tuner DTV tuner (with over 60 channels received from 5 markets!) connected to a HTPC along with Netflix, Hulu and Amazon PPV. More TV than I could ever view!

Last edited:
Just make sure that your parents verify that the installer gets the Signal Quality readings balanced and has the them peaked as high as possible above 50% on the 3 set-up channels 901, 113 and 106 before running the channel update (page 49 in the manual). Very common to see these Signal Quality readings at 70+ %.

Good idea. However, I called my parents today when the installer was there. My father mentioned they had some trouble getting the signal and now it is around 61% which might be enough. I don't know if the installer does too many of these types of satellites though, I asked a simple question about adding a motor to "someday find other satellites" and he advised me "He has not really heard of that except back years ago with the old 10 foot dishes and its so hard to find the satellites with these smaller dishes". He also mentioned that he hadn't really heard of people doing that with these smaller dishes.

So anyway, as I am new to FTA also, I was not about to start disagreeing with the guy over the phone. I will just check it out the next time I visit. At least they installed it on the lower part of their roof so going up and down shouldn't be too bad if I need to.

Hopefully the installer checked the dish for warping and corrected as well as set the LNBF rotation (skew). 61% SQ on a weaker channel might not be that bad if on an overcast day, but 61% SQ on one of the stronger channels on a clear day would not provide reliable reception.

Sounds like you are a little more savy than their installer! That is what SatelliteGuys website will do to you! Watch out, it is addictive!

I asked a simple question about adding a motor to "someday find other satellites" and he advised me "He has not really heard of that except back years ago with the old 10 foot dishes and its so hard to find the satellites with these smaller dishes". He also mentioned that he hadn't really heard of people doing that with these smaller dishes

that would be a gigantic red flag to me. I would think somebody doing for this for a living would know better

that would be a gigantic red flag to me. I would think somebody doing for this for a living would know better

Yes, I think that is true normally. I discovered that he was a person my father knew from church who has done this in the past (dish/directv). However, he is basically retired now and doesn't do this much anymore. Also, he has parkinson's disease where one of his hands are shaky.
I have a feeling he just did it to help my father. I don't think he normally does this anymore.
All things considered, I am not complaining.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)