FTA PC Newbie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

louie629

Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
oklahoma
Ok I just learned today that there is a way to watch fta programing via the pc. can anyone walk me through how this is done,what equipment I need, and possibly where to get said equipment.

Hi louie629,

Welcome to the forum.
First thing is a fast computer (CPU) with at least 1GB of RAM.
Next, you may want to consider a device (PCI/PCI-e/USB) that is DVB-S2 compatible.
That way, you will not need to upgrade in the near future (since DVB-S2 is becoming
more common).
I have both the TT-3200 PCI card and the DVBWorld 2104 (USB).
Both work well, and with many different DVB apps using BDA drivers.
The DVB 2104 tuner is more sensitive (i.e., will tune signals better) in my case.
Computer based systems will tune most of the signals (no DVB 8PSK/Trellis for example).
But they are harder to set up initially (at least for most people).
But if you are willing to put in the time and effort (and listen to the suggestions you
receive here!), you should be very satisfied with the results.

You need to figure out what you want to use it for, and go from there.
Good luck!

Ok. I work at a computer shop and I have a quad core,4gb of ram, and a 1 gig hd out video card.So im hoping thatll cover the puter side.As far as what I would like to do is be able to put a card in my computer hook it up to a satalite dish with a hd cable from my desktop to my tv and use my tv to watch all the channels,if thats possible. Basicly just use my computer in place of a fta receiver. If you could walk me through that I would be greatly thankfull. Oh the way you have yours, do you get all the channels that you would get from a fta receiver?

That computer should work fine (make sure it provides the voltage the card you
decide on needs, there was an issue with a motherboard that didn't a while back).
Are you looking for C or Ku band or both?
What OS?
Sounds like you want to use an internal card.
Do you want to use a PCI or PCI-E?
TBS and DVBWorld have versions of both (I have experience with the TBS 8920,
it works well for me).

One of the more challenging aspects of using your computer is the DVB apps.
Many have poor documentation, and take a while to learn. I use a few different
apps, depending on the device I am using and is it a feed.

Yes, I have my computer hooked up to a monitor and to my TV and stereo receiver,
and use it for all my FTA satellite TV viewing.

You will need to use a 64 bit Windows OS. If you are using 4GB of RAM with a video card that has 1GB, then 32bit Windows won't support it; it only supports up to 4GB and you have 5GB total. I have the same setup, but I am using a dual core, not a quad core.

Here is my basic FTA PC setup:
3.0 GHz AMD dual-core processor
4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
Nvidia 9500GT, 1GB DDR2
500GB hard drive
DVD burner
Twinhan 1020a sat tuner
Pinnacle Pro HDTV OTA tuner (usb)
Philips 42" 1080p LCD TV
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Windows Media Center - this is what you would use for the program guide and to watch any saved videos or recorded television. There are other programs available as well that work fine.

Answer Trinity's questions above and we will be able to help some more.
Do you have your satellite equipment already in place? Not the computer stuff, but the actual dish, coax cable, etc.?

well it doesnt matter to me pci or pci-e,which ever works better. and no i dont have my dish and coax installed yet.I just want the setup done right,which ever way i decide to go.I am running vista ult.I am not a total newbie at some of the things going on.I have installed alotof dishes,as far as the programs i will take the time to learn them as i go.I basicly just need to know what hardware and software i need to do this.and again I am very gratefull for all your help

Well, you will need to set up your dish first. You can't really align the dish using a computer. You have to use a STB receiver and a portable TV outside with you while you align the dish so you can see the signal meter live as you adjust the dish. Or a portable signal meter, but those can be pretty expensive.

If you are around the Stillwater area in Oklahoma then I may be able to help you get started.

Have you ever done anything with FTA before? Remember, this forum is for legal FTA. We do not support hacking and/or pirating of subscription satellite services.

Check out this link for a good list of available English FTA channels on the Ku band: FTAList.com - English Channel List

Those channels are on multiple satellites. To be able to receive all of them you will needs multiple satellite dishes or a motorized satellite dish. One stationary satellite dish can pick one satellite in the sky (unless you add multiple LNBs to one dish, but that shouldn't be your first FTA project).

I would look around your area for free dishes before you buy one. Lots of people have old Primestar dishes or hughesnet/direcway dishes that work well for FTA purposes and most of the time they will just give them to you. Elliptical and round dishes both work fine just as long as they aren't the small Directv/Dish Network dishes, which are too small for FTA use.

Also, this is some good reading to answer a lot of questions you may have: http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-faqs/

Last edited:
ok i have messed with fta a little. and as far as a dish i have a dish 500 with a signal finder so i should be allright.hey willie i sent u a pm

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)