fta questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.
confusion with my compass

To try to straighten out myself regarding compass readings and magnetic deviation I checked the angle of my existing SuperDish-105. But I only got more confused.

Holding the compass under the LNB arm, and ensuring the edge of the arm ran through the direct center of the compass, I measured about 198 degrees. And my magnetic deviation is +4 according to the Satellite Azimuth and Elevation Position Calculator page. Also according to that page, to point right at 105 I need an azimuth of 210.7 degrees.

Ok, so for my area 210.7 degrees will really show up on the compass at 214.7 degrees, right? If so, that would mean my dish is pointed 16 or so degrees too far east to even see 105! Not to mention 110 & 119. I get 40-45 (/125) signal strength on my spotbeam from 105, 100/125 on 110 tp 11&12, and 90 on 119 tp 11&12. I did not install the SuperDish by the way.

So, what do you guys make of this?!?

?!!?!?

I think maybe you are too close to the metal parts of the dish, this pull the compass off the truth, stand way behind the dish for a true reading.

Thanks for your suggestion PSB.

I moved back from the dish, the only problem is it's mounted on a pole from the ground right at my height so it's in the way basically of seeing any of the arm, even if I lay on the ground. But, best as I could see it is only maybe a few degrees above 200 and definitely not anywhere past 210.

Given my decent signal strength on 110 & 119, does that mean my dish is most likely pointed in the right direction, down to the single degree of azimuth?

The dish is right : ) Maybe that magnetic deviation map is slightly out, there is a better one here somewhere that cascade posted seems it changes all the time.
I will have a look for it...

Attachments

• MagDev.gif
    MagDev.gif
    123.4 KB · Views: 176
PSB said:
Its only going to be a matter of time until all these hack boxes go under, then the over inflated prices will crash and they will not be able to give away these hacked receivers, lets face it folks people are not queuing up wanting Pansats just because it has the USALS feature when they could have a Satwork 3688 that does everything else the Pansat does much cheaper , it is a concern to say the least.

I may be stating the obvious -- or I may be completely off base -- however from things that have been said in this forum and from what I've seen on websites as I've been researching FTA, I have the following understanding about the Pansat 2500. That box as sold from the manufacturer is a legal Free-To-Air receiver. However, it is commonly hacked to make it illegally decrypt subscription feeds (temporarily at least). I've found *huge* variations in price, from ~$400 down to ~$190. Based on what I've seen at the sites -- it looks like the highest priced ones are those which have been hacked.

From your statement -- I assume the Satwork 3688 can not be modified in this way? If so -- this is a plus for me. Like yourself I don't want to access the signals illegally. Just as important though, is that I don't want to be placed in a position where someone could *accuse* me of having stolen signals.

USALS 'seems' like a fairly cool feature from the definition I found: http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/usals.htm
HeckifIknow whether it's truly useful, of course.

USALS is a plus, but I have never had it and so I don't miss it!
I am sure the Satworks 3688 can be hacked to some extent but it is not the receiver of choice for the thief's who choose to do their modifications to it. The satworks come direct from the importer untouched by any middle men and the software can be updated at any time if a new version becomes available. But you are right the Pansat is a legal product and legitimate company I am afraid as usual the crooks find a crack and work themselves in.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts