Funding a Dish 5G Network: Speculation About a Major Disruptive Partner

I can see a deal with Amazon but likely around AWS, more geared towards commercial equipment and connected oddball devices for companies.

Reactions: navychop
I can see a deal with Amazon but likely around AWS, more geared towards commercial equipment and connected oddball devices for companies.
Most everybody believes that the biggest competitive disadvantage with Dish is the Cable TV/Internet bundle option. Being able to get internet service with your TV service is very attractive. Now Amazon, through their Blue Origin division has the "Kuiper Belt" LEO satellite fleet planned, but SpaceX has a big lead on them. But Amazon has more money than they know what to do with. I fully expect Charlie to strike a deal with someone.

Most everybody believes that the biggest competitive disadvantage with Dish is the Cable TV/Internet bundle option. Being able to get internet service with your TV service is very attractive. Now Amazon, through their Blue Origin division has the "Kuiper Belt" LEO satellite fleet planned, but SpaceX has a big lead on them. But Amazon has more money than they know what to do with. I fully expect Charlie to strike a deal with someone.

The problem with the cable/internet bundles is the fact that everyone needs internet and in many areas you can only get fast reliable internet from the cable company.

The internet is priced higher than it should be as a stand alone service, and the video is sold at a discount so subscribing to satellite and buying an internet only package from the cable company costs more than buying a bundle.

Once you get the customer signed up for a data service (which is the most profitable) they might as well make a little bit of money on the video service to lock the customer in.

If you can get fiber internet, or even cable based internet then you are golden. It beats DSL, satellite internet and cellular internet due to the data caps.

What Dish needs to do is get their 5G launched for 2 reasons. They can become a true internet provider, and can gain some market share on the video side.

The second thing it’s going to open is the internet/cell phone bundle.

As the Internet speeds get better, we are slowly moving to an IP based a lacarte Tv service in this country.

You buy your home internet service, which is either Fiber based or coax based and your cell phone from the same provider. You get 1 discounted bill for that.

Then you buy your tv right from Disney, CBS, Viacom, HBO Or whatever streaming service you want.

The cell phone approach is a genius idea, because when your internet is bundled with it, it’s not easy to flip accounts to get a cheaper rate when you have to start messing with porting cell phone numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looked at buying into a new subdivision and found what is happening here in SWFL with new subdivisions that there there is no "cable" TV. They run 1Gig fiber to the house (no caps) and the cost of internet is included with the HOA fees. As an owner you can use any streaming service provider and cell service that you want.

Reactions: sktrus and TheKrell
This is pretty much the same talk when Echostar formed Dish: that it would be out of business in days. This is mouthpiece journalism provided from the biggest companies in wireless trying to devalue the outlook for a smaller competitor (Dish), who has publically stated their intentions for its 5G to be for enterprise clients, but the big boys are still scared that Dish's non-legacy 5G network could pose a threat to the big wireless cos. retail market/customers. They are scared because they know if anyone in the rehlm of smaller business upstarts can pull this off, it really is Charlie Ergen.

Of course, there is always the possibility that Alphabet (for Waymo or more) or Amazon (for whatever suprise service they have in mind) will dump enough money on Ergen's desk that he will sell his wireless part of the business, but it is more likely that they would line up as clients of his (a different kind of funding/parthership) and not have to blow that much money to buy the whole wireless end of the business. Either way, Dish will come out ahead.

Why should dish build their 5G network when others like Amazon might build it for them.

Charlie never intended to spend his money on this project, or it would have been done 12 years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except he’s been clear it was to be a 5G network, which didn’t exist a dozen years ago.

He’ll get an extension, due to Coronavirus and delays in 5G coming to market. I’ll bet he gets 2-3 years at least. And if the government doesn’t give it to him, the courts will.

This is pretty much the same talk when Echostar formed Dish: that it would be out of business in days. This is mouthpiece journalism provided from the biggest companies in wireless trying to devalue the outlook for a smaller competitor (Dish), who has publically stated their intentions for its 5G to be for enterprise clients, but the big boys are still scared that Dish's non-legacy 5G network could pose a threat to the big wireless cos. retail market/customers. They are scared because they know if anyone in the rehlm of smaller business upstarts can pull this off, it really is Charlie Ergen.

Of course, there is always the possibility that Alphabet (for Waymo or more) or Amazon (for whatever suprise service they have in mind) will dump enough money on Ergen's desk that he will sell his wireless part of the business, but it is more likely that they would line up as clients of his (a different kind of funding/parthership) and not have to blow that much money to buy the whole wireless end of the business. Either way, Dish will come out ahead.
Actually they are laughing

I would add that the US government really wants Dish to succeed at this (the US government picks the winners and loser on these matters), and I would say that this current Administration would prefer much smaller Dish/Echostar to be successful in this instead of already too big and under fire Alphabet/Google and Amazon, the most likely parties to buy Dish's wireless business. Also, the irony is that the incumbent big wireless cos. need Dish to succeed in this so that they are not seen as targets for break-up under this new Administration and the Dems in power at the House and Senate. No one else was interested in entering the wireless business but Dish/Echostar, and only them because they had a clear plan from the beginning.

And the game is about meeting deadlines--that have been extended for all players at least, what, twice already. And if Dish should expect to miss a deadline, all Dish has to do is show evidence of making headway and the FCC issues an extension, and the FCC wants Dish to be successful so it can tout that it has added more players in the wireless biz: Dish was the whole point of allowing T-Mobile and Sprint to merge.

Ergen will succeed in this, but it might take more time--as it is for all the other companies implementing 5G. Once Dish get far enough along in building its network, I fully expect to see Alphabet and/or Amazon signing on as clients/users of the network.

I would add that the US government really wants Dish to succeed at this (the US government picks the winners and loser on these matters), and I would say that this current Administration would prefer much smaller Dish/Echostar to be successful in this instead of already too big and under fire Alphabet/Google and Amazon, the most likely parties to buy Dish's wireless business. Also, the irony is that the incumbent big wireless cos. need Dish to succeed in this so that they are not seen as targets for break-up under this new Administration and the Dems in power at the House and Senate. No one else was interested in entering the wireless business but Dish/Echostar, and only them because they had a clear plan from the beginning.

And the game is about meeting deadlines--that have been extended for all players at least, what, twice already. And if Dish should expect to miss a deadline, all Dish has to do is show evidence of making headway and the FCC issues an extension, and the FCC wants Dish to be successful so it can tout that it has added more players in the wireless biz: Dish was the whole point of allowing T-Mobile and Sprint to merge.

Ergen will succeed in this, but it might take more time--as it is for all the other companies implementing 5G. Once Dish get far enough along in building its network, I fully expect to see Alphabet and/or Amazon signing on as clients/users of the network.
Ergen is 70...running out of time..it is a good idea to serve a market that most undervalue but thats because its a hard market to serve

They're not laughing. Dish owns as much of that spectrum as Verizon and the value is enormous. That spectrum is the future just like HD was the future 20 years ago. It's going to be huge.
Not very good spectrum...now if it was C band....

I was working for a Verizon cell tower technician in NJ . I asked about 5g he said down the shore it’s amazing speeds are incredible but in and around the city and suburbs not so good marginal 4g . Stay with what you have. I would say Verizon is more advanced than dish on the cell technology. Also on the news today a few of the boost mobile stores have been robbed. They are in all bad neighborhoods .

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Ergen is 70...running out of time..it is a good idea to serve a market that most undervalue but thats because its a hard market to serve
Well, I would say that Ergen is one of those really healthy and active 70 year olds out there who look and act younger than they really are (he does have a history of being quite an active outdoorsman), so I don't think Ergen is going anywhere for a few years, but I don't know if he would every become another Sumner Redstone who held on for as long as possible. I would suspect that Candy would wisely push for real retirement by 75 or so :).