Status
Please reply by conversation.

primestar31

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 15, 2005
Beta Omicron Delta III
I have a G-box V3000 that was given to me years ago by another person, and I never needed to be used until now on this 7.5ft dish I'm installing. I used to use a V-box X on my old 10 footer, and that didn't have this issue.

Anyway, this G-box works flawlessly to move my dish, HOWEVER, it gives off a slight acrid smell like HOT electronics, enough to notice when you walk into the room it's in after you've been out of it for a while. It does this even IF it's turned off, IE no lights showing on the front except that orange pilot light.

Is there anything inside that gets hot enough just being connected, that I should try adding heat sinks to them, or should I replace certain parts inside, or does anybody have any ideas? I'd just as soon continue to use this, however I don't want my living room to smell like burned electronics all the time...

Pop the case and plug it in for a few. My guess is the transformer. See if that is the culprit.

Reactions: . Raine
Pop the case and plug it in for a few. My guess is the transformer. See if that is the culprit.

Does the transformer stay electrically hot, even when the G-box is turned OFF via the remote? I'm thinking that's not really off, it's just a hibernation mode or something.

Ok, guess I'll pop the top and check it out. I'll have to do something about this smell, as I can't continue to use this if it keeps filling the room with that smell. I probably can't find another replacement transformer, but maybe I can seal it with some sort of spray or something.

Main thing is to check its temp. If too hot, you need to replace it. They should be easy enough to find. You can probably fit a more beefy one in there anyway. :)

Main thing is to check its temp. If too hot, you need to replace it. They should be easy enough to find. You can probably fit a more beefy one in there anyway. :)

I'd like to buy a back-up G-box, if somebody has a spare one they no longer use and that they'd want to sell. I can't afford an ASC-1 anytime soon.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Virtually all modern electonics are always "on".Otherwise the remote control wouldn't work.The only time they're truly off is if you unplug it. ;)

I'd like to buy a back-up G-box, if somebody has a spare one they no longer use and that they'd want to sell. I can't afford an ASC-1 anytime soon.
I know where you're coming from - too much spent on home/vehicle repairs lately so hoping my stuff holds out too! :rolleyes:

Well, it may NOT be my G-box that's actually putting out the electrical smell. I haven't yet had time to open it up, I just assumed it was this as it's the newest device in the living room. I unplugged the G-box last night, but still had the smell over by the window this morning where I open the blinds each morning. However, I FORGOT I had an old IBM laptop plugged in and leaning against the bookcase there, to use the old rs232 serial port to reflash my SH200 Sathero meter. The cmos battery is dead, so I've been leaving it plugged in to keep the settings. Though it's not a big issue to enter them manually.

Anyway, I picked the laptop up after I had the smell this morning, and the backside was warm, and the smell seems to be coming from it. I unplugged it for now, and set it on the dining room table away from that area.

We will see what happens now...

It's confirmed that it was the old IBM laptop causing the burning smell, and not the Gbox.

However during all this, I accidentally (I say that because I usually don't search Craigslist so far out and away from me, because people usually don't want to ship, and think you are automatically a scammer if you ask) found somebody selling a sealed NOS Sadoun Gbox V3000 through Craigslist in New York, and just received it today. So now I have a complete spare in case the other one ever fails.

The scary part is he insisted I send him CASH up front, and mailing cash really can leave you holding the bag if the guy doesn't follow through. I sealed it inside one of those black tyvek style mailing envelopes you get from China when they send something to you. Good for me that it didn't vanish from a USPS employee with sticky fingers, and that the seller was honorable and followed through, and I appreciate that there still are some honest people out there!

Reactions: FTA4PA
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts