g10r signal- lower than normal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

drhydro

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 19, 2004
I am moving my dishs around today, working on getting my setup finalized. I have both my p* and my 76cm pointed at g10, with disappointing results. Neither of these two dishs are giving me enuff signal for a good lock on tp 11720v.

The p* with a 2700a hooked up to it, no switches in line, is giving me in between 17-32% sq. I have a lock, but I know if a gnat flies in front of the dish I will loose signal.

The 76cm with my satworks hooked up to it is only giving me a 32% sq, not enuff to lock. Both dishs are peaked for best signal. Has anyone else noticed very low sq on that tp today?

hmmmm...maybe this is why? :D;)

Uplink is in Little Rock

Attachments

• us_lit_closeradar_medium_usen.jpg
    us_lit_closeradar_medium_usen.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 244
D'uh, that would explain it lol. Thanks Iceberg I should have checked the weather down there.

This is the first time i have aimed the p* at g10, so I was kind of surprised at the very low sq readings on 11720v. I was expecting much higher readings compared to the 76cm.

Well I just hooked the satworks up to the p* so I can give comparative sq readings. On the pentagon channel I got 41% sq on the winegard using the satworks sq meter. On the pentagon channel using the p* dish and the satworks, I got sq of 56%, quite a large increase. I have a feeling the p* is going to be a very good performer for g10.

I was wondering why the signal strength was low here in south central Texas, I was out mowing lawn and accidentally ran in to my dish with the riding mower, thought I knocked it out of alignment. When I came back in to watch the A-Team on G10 R, I thought oh no I messed up my dish... I was just about to go to another Satellite to check when a storm hit and the power went out. 2 hours later the power came back on and it was a relief to come here and see it was bad weather at the up link site.

Now its back up...not as much as it should be but here is something cool

on Dish 121 they turned off 11724 (it shows no signal on my Pansat & Coolsat) and 11720 is up to 60 quality (same as 11800) on the Pansat :D

Up to ~60%sq on 11720v on the p* using the pansat, using this dish for this sat looks like a keeper to me :)

Thats what I'm getting with the 36" dish on G10 :)
(Pansat 1500)

Attachments

• IM000803.JPG
    IM000803.JPG
    62.1 KB · Views: 257
  • IM000804.JPG
    IM000804.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 214
  • IM000805.JPG
    IM000805.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 225
Thanks Iceberg,
Appreciate the comparision :) I am getting (on the same tps you show in your pics) ~60 on 11724v, ~60 on 11800v, and ~90 on 121114v using the p* and the 2700a. Pretty good results for the primestar ;)

On the 10' pierced aluminum BUD/ .7 db LNB/ pansat 2700 combo I am getting ~75 on 11724v, ~75 on 11800v, and 99 on 12114v (maxed meter, steady). Time to get out and play with the BUD and see if I can tweak it some more :D

BTW, pics to follow in the am, cant upload here cause I left my cams usb cable at work.

Iceberg said:
hmmmm...maybe this is why? :D;)

Uplink is in Little Rock
Makes one wonder how they are able to operate when weather affects their uplinks that severely... Probably the 3-5 meter dishes they use to receive Ku are able to srounge up enough signal :D

Makes one wonder how they are able to operate when weather affects their uplinks that severely... Probably the 3-5 meter dishes they use to receive Ku are able to srounge up enough signal
very possible. Same with ONN...there is times I lose the signal but obviously the cable companies still see it :)

Tron said:
Makes one wonder how they are able to operate when weather affects their uplinks that severely... Probably the 3-5 meter dishes they use to receive Ku are able to srounge up enough signal :D

In most cases with E/S who transmit to Ku space utilize Uplink Power Control(ULPC). This is achieved by sampling the Beacon of the specified Satellite with a Beacon Receiver, the Amplitude is reflected to the ACU(Antenna Control Unit) in a Voltage logic algorithm then offered to the ULPC box that really only defers Attenuation on to the HPA. An increase of Transmit power is produced so as to overcome Rain Fade. In sever cases, obviously, the Transmission cannot survive during this type of weather pattern...

nevada weather

hwh said:
11720 is low and unusable from here in Nevada today. 11800 is fine

Don't know where you are in Nevada or when you posted, but we had one heck of a windstorm come thru Reno this weekend...about 80 mph....vibrated my BUD around, and FTA and KU (4dtv) were a problem for me too! C Band is just so forgiving...but even that shook around a bit reducing reception!:(

Jeff

Iceberg said:
Now its back up...not as much as it should be but here is something cool

on Dish 121 they turned off 11724 (it shows no signal on my Pansat & Coolsat) and 11720 is up to 60 quality (same as 11800) on the Pansat :D

This must be why my readings are up. 11800 73% 11720 71 % 12035 75% 12114 77% on a traxis 3500.

I hope it stays this way for a while!

gizzer777 said:
Don't know where you are in Nevada or when you posted, but we had one heck of a windstorm come thru Reno this weekend...about 80 mph....vibrated my BUD around, and FTA and KU (4dtv) were a problem for me too! C Band is just so forgiving...but even that shook around a bit reducing reception!:(
Jeff

It was windy down here in Las Vegas too. I think the weather service said the max we had was 48 mph. My Starband dishes were shaking but never enough to break the internet connection or stop the tv. I'd get an occasional blip on the tv but it wasn't bad. Of course my dishes are only 26x36 so the wind load is much less. :)

I've wondered about what size of dish Equity uses at their stations to receive the G10R signals.

I live near the edge of KWBM's OTA signal. A few weeks ago there were some severe thunderstorms over the Branson area (Near their ch. 31 transmitter). On the OTA signal in the upper left corner the message "Very Low Signal" came up. After a few minutes the picture broke up, the screen went black and the message changed to simply "No Signal". It was fun to switch over to satellite and see the programming that no one other than those with satellite could see.

To be fair we have had some incredibly heavy rainstorms this spring. The NBC affiliate lost the network feed (and their wireless internet access) during a storm.

ghia said:
This must be why my readings are up. 11800 73% 11720 71 % 12035 75% 12114 77% on a traxis 3500.

I hope it stays this way for a while!

yep. Mine latelly on the Pansat 1500
11720-60
11799-60 to 62
12035-75
12104-99
12114-99

weird that the 11799 went down...but hey I aint complaining

I obviously have a flaw in my understanding about how uplink signals are received by a satellite and retransmitted. Could someone enlighten me?
I would think that a weak uplink signal would be received by the satellite, processed somehow, and then would be retransmitted at the full strength of the satellite transmitter. I guess an analogy to this would be similar to picking up a signal with a receiver, and then retransmitting it back at the same frequency that it was received at some set level.

If this was right (which it obviously isn't), you would get a good signal at high power and with good quality, but with a poor picture.

From reading these posts, it seems like the uplink signal power is amplified directly. For example, 1/2 watt received by the satellite = 1 watt out, 1 watt received = 2 watts out. Is this the way it works? Please forgive the examples...I have no idea of what actual power levels should be.

I hope that this question makes sense. :)
Thank you.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)