G15 troubles

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So they will now move Galaxy 12 to 133° West instead of 129° West which they had been planning to do. I guess nothing will replace Galaxy 27 or will they move Galaxy 15 to 129° West after the transfer to Galaxy 12 is complete?

Galaxy 12 is currently at 125° West and is moving at 1.7° West per day. Should be at 133° West in 4 or 5 days. They must really be concerned that Galaxy 15 could self destruct at any time. I wonder what's gone wrong?

Heard they lost control of the bird. C band is working but I guess ground control can't get much to respond. I kinda would like to see it go down before G-12 gets there haven't had an event like that in years. I remember big Anik, Telstar and Satcom issues back in the day.

I remember when Galaxy 27 (previously Intelsat 7 and Telstar 7) spun out of control for a few days and they had to transfer everything to Galaxy 23.

Galaxy 12 is currently at 125° West and is moving at 1.7° West per day. Should be at 133° West in 4 or 5 days. They must really be concerned that Galaxy 15 could self destruct at any time. I wonder what's gone wrong?

I'm not worried about G15 self destructing. They seem to be well made in recent years to minimize chances of explosions.

I would worry about drifting out of the box and interfering with other satellites, or the receivers quit working and there is loss of transmissions.

I do find it odd the satellite seems to be operating well self-autonomiously - both attitude and receivers. If uplinkers can hit the bird with proper results, why can't TT&C center ping the bird with commands through the same systems?

I caught something, I won't go into detail here since it belongs in WUT. A programmer (will remain nameless) lit up their west coast G-15 feeds in there east coast mux on G-14 a couple days ago. I think this was done for total failure of G-15 reasons. I can't see the content now since they encrypted again. The new channels are still in the mux. Some are preparing for the worst so this can't be a small event.

Probably not at all related, but I checked the keps of the G27 sat (that G12 was to replace), thinking that maybe they'd turn it around,. According to the previous keps, it HAD started moving west at a relatively slow rate of 1.7 deg/day, but now according to the new keps, it is heading east, already at 104, zipping along at 3 deg/day. Probably was just that the previous keps were incorrect, or were obtained during the start of the manuever, and they were always intending to move it east instead of west. The keps only come out every 3 or 4 days, so it could have been moving east all the time.
But perhaps they have turned it around, and there is some multi-satellite shuffle going on, and G27 is now going to help out at some other location.

That's my weakest C Band sat, I hardly get the analog channels (Classic, EWTN and Inspirational. Shop NBC you cannot even make out the signal is so poor), the only DVB that I get is the AMC mux (encrypted btw)

Crash and burn G-15. The reason I say this is I want to see the cable programmers have to migrate other places and open up there channels while there doing it. More free stuff to watch :) Gotta keep our eyes open and see what new pops up :D

NICE...Millions of dollars lost for YOUR enjoyment...:up:up

They have insurance on those birds. And they do fail from time to time. I look at it from the point of, if it allows us something special we normally don't see why not, it's all part of the game for scanning the skys. Things do break if we benefit great.

Well I'm disappointed that Galaxy 12 won't be stopping at 129° West. I think more satellites are better. I hope they can fix Galaxy 15.

They have insurance on those birds. And they do fail from time to time. I look at it from the point of, if it allows us something special we normally don't see why not, it's all part of the game for scanning the skys. Things do break if we benefit great.

No issurance. Intelsat only insures for the first year of ops (as well as launch and on-orbit check-out). Insurance ain't cheap for satellites.

Google the "Space News" story on Galaxy 15 for more information.

Just like Children when the Gumball machine falls over....Nothing is great about this...we have a lot of work to transition customers who ultimately suffer from this problem as you sit and proudly enjoy....:rolleyes:

Just like Children when the Gumball machine falls over....Nothing is great about this...we have a lot of work to transition customers who ultimately suffer from this problem as you sit and proudly enjoy....:rolleyes:

It's part of the job look at the OT you get. :) Wishing it didn't happen will not change the outcome. I do not see anything wrong with watching something ITC because of some type of problem causes it to be ITC. Your saying that we shouldn't enjoy something we normally cannot get just because you have to swap out customers or the like. Maybe I put it a bit harsh by saying crash and burn. Im sorry if I upset you by that and didn't mean to. All of us here are hobbyists and enjoy that find we do get to enjoy here and there, regardless of what caused it. It's just like loging that far away radio station. It's a challenge and achievement when you finally get it.

First off, I do not take your comments personal, merely professional.

Your indication of "we" in your rebuttal creates a narrative that you are speaking for every member..Really?

My response to you was prompted by your callus statement of the "cable programmers having to migrate and open up" or in other words create extra labor, cost and interruption to a product that you call a hobby...Attach that with, an asset loss to Intelsat....Interesting position for a Hobbyist it seems...Oh, and please do not assume what my "part of the job" would be.

Please explaine "ITC"...?

I'm sad to see any rejoicing when a bird has an anomaly, let alone something as serious as what Galaxy 15 may be experiencing. In the long run, the longer the lives satellites enjoy and the resultant perceived reliability will keep prices down for the programmers and incline them to maintain the status quo. If satellite distribution starts to look like a bad deal, the fiber alternative will not improve the viability of FTA.

First off, I do not take your comments personal, merely professional.

Your indication of "we" in your rebuttal creates a narrative that you are speaking for every member..Really?

My response to you was prompted by your callus statement of the "cable programmers having to migrate and open up" or in other words create extra labor, cost and interruption to a product that you call a hobby...Attach that with, an asset loss to Intelsat....Interesting position for a Hobbyist it seems...Oh, and please do not assume what my "part of the job" would be.

Please explaine "ITC"...?

You must not a hobbyist and work at a professional level for some MSO. You wouldn't understand the hobbyist views and what he's looking for then. So I won't explain anymore. A slip of a lip might sink blips.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts