G16 @ 99deg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Those channels are DCII (Digicipher II) and you would need a 4DTV receiver for those (the digital brother of the old analog C/KU boxes)

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Supporting Founder
Ok then. I guess I misread the way LyngSat lists free channels, as the Digicipher designation appears to be for the HITS packages, and the channels in question appear to be free in the clear.

Judging from the site design, database hierarchy, and ease-of-use of the LyngSat site, let me take a wild guess that Mr. Lyng is an engineer.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
have no idea on that one :)

But if there is more than one channel on a transponder, the 1st line is who the owner of the TP is and what encryption they use

So the owner is HITS (HITS2Home) and its Digicipher II encryption

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 176

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
GaryPen said:
So, the individual channels shouldn't be listed as free/clear, if they're not. They should all be in the darker peach color signifying "encrypted". At least that would make more sense.

They might be Digicipher II ITC and not DVB ITC.

GaryPen

Rich or poor, it's good to have money.
Supporting Founder
ah. I see. Silly me. I just assumed Digicipher meant encrypted. "Digicipher in-the-clear" is kind of like "Military Intelligence". The words contradict each other.

It's too bad. I was looking forward to those music stations, as well as AmericanLife TV. They have a nice Baby Boomer lineup. I wonder if any AL Network stations are on FTA?

Craig Henrikson

SatelliteGuys Family
Jan 26, 2004
GaryPen said:
Ok then. I guess I misread the way LyngSat lists free channels, as the Digicipher designation appears to be for the HITS packages, and the channels in question appear to be free in the clear.

Judging from the site design, database hierarchy, and ease-of-use of the LyngSat site, let me take a wild guess that Mr. Lyng is an engineer.

Actually, he is Christian Lyngmark -- Danish or Norwegian, I think (would fit right in with the MN members of this site)

Craig

Stefan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Apr 28, 2005
GaryPen said:
ah. I see. Silly me. I just assumed Digicipher meant encrypted. "Digicipher in-the-clear" is kind of like "Military Intelligence". The words contradict each other.

It's too bad. I was looking forward to those music stations, as well as AmericanLife TV. They have a nice Baby Boomer lineup. I wonder if any AL Network stations are on FTA?

Digicipher II signals can be totally unencrypted and thus truely FTA. These type would be called "zero key". However, the bad news is there are really very very few of those and most all of the ones listed on lyngsat as FTA are not zero key but are instead either fixed key (or FP). Fixed key singals can be decrypted by some digicipher II recievers by default or can be decrypted by some other digicpher II recievers if the reciever has at some time in the past recieved an authorization hit from a service provider and if the authorization hasn't been reset since recieving that hit or the authorization hasn't expired. Also some of those signals listed as FTA may not even be fixed key but may indeed be completely encrypted. It might just be that service providers authourise their customers to recieve them for "free" meaning they don't specifically charge anything for those particular channels above and beyond what they charge for a basic subscription. So, the bottom line is that with DCII it's not always as cut and dry as to what's "FTA" and what really isn't. Unless you want to spend lots and lots of money on special commercial DCII recievers and then run the risks of those recievers becoming paper weights whenever the signals your trying to recieve change their authorization status or when they switch to some other distribution format that the particular model you have isn't compatible with, it's best to just stick with DVB.

Tron

SatelliteGuys Master
May 6, 2005
Metro New Orleans, LA
The Motorola DSR 4800 series (and Digitrans 7150T, which are basically the same receiver rebranded) can receive zero key and fixed key DCII signals without authorization, but cost over $500 used...

Krapola

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 10, 2006
Fairfield, Cali
Stefan said:
Digicipher II signals can be totally unencrypted and thus truely FTA. These type would be called "zero key". However, the bad news is there are really very very few of those and most all of the ones listed on lyngsat as FTA are not zero key but are instead either fixed key (or FP). Fixed key singals can be decrypted by some digicipher II recievers by default or can be decrypted by some other digicpher II recievers if the reciever has at some time in the past recieved an authorization hit from a service provider and if the authorization hasn't been reset since recieving that hit or the authorization hasn't expired. Also some of those signals listed as FTA may not even be fixed key but may indeed be completely encrypted. It might just be that service providers authourise their customers to recieve them for "free" meaning they don't specifically charge anything for those particular channels above and beyond what they charge for a basic subscription. So, the bottom line is that with DCII it's not always as cut and dry as to what's "FTA" and what really isn't. Unless you want to spend lots and lots of money on special commercial DCII recievers and then run the risks of those recievers becoming paper weights whenever the signals your trying to recieve change their authorization status or when they switch to some other distribution format that the particular model you have isn't compatible with, it's best to just stick with DVB.

Nice post!!!....:up :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts