G4 gone: SoapNet and G4 ceasing operations/distribution soon?

Mojo Jojo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 19, 2009
US
(Note: Okay. So, I tried to stay somewhat on topic in terms of this being just for Dish since as far as I know that Dish does not have a list for contract renewals and that Dish will probably lose G4 and SoapNet due to the owners and not because of Dish. However, I am speculating as what will become of the occupied spaces if anything at all.)

I wish Dish would give a list of when channels are coming up for contract renewals: http://xfinity.comcast.net/learn/programming/

Also, this source as well as other places (http://www.myaccount.charter.com/Customers/Support.aspx?MenuItem=63) are showing that SoapNet is ceasing operations in December and that G4 is ceasing distribution in January. So, what channels would you like to see in the place of these channels? G4 is also in HD on Dish; so, hopefully an HD channel will appear in its place.

In terms of SoapNet, maybe Disney Junior or Fusion will appear in its place (although I know about the whole Dish and Disney fiasco). If Dish decides to put a "similar" channel, Lifetime Real Women would seem to be a viable replacement. I think Dish pretty much offers all the rest of the women's entertainment channels.

In terms of G4, maybe Dish will bring back Cloo. If Dish decides to put a "similar" channel, I think the Funimation Channel could possibly work in terms of the anime portion of the channel from previous years.

Maybe Dish could add some of these channels instead: Discovery Fit & Health, TV One, FearNet, Sprout, etc. Can anyone think of any other missing channels?

Personally, I would like to see the Funimation Chanel and FearNet. I am not sure if Funimation rotates its schedule, but I love Yu Yu Hakusho. I already have the whole series (although in SD on DVD...never got the Blurays...a little upsetting since I got the DVDs a few months before the Blurays released). I also love that FearNet is showing Tales from the Crypt and Tales from the Cryptkeeper (although I own those shows on DVD as well). I would not mind Discovery Fit & Health for shows like Mystery Diagnosis. I would not mind TV One for the older classic shows like The Jeffersons, Sanford & Son, What's Happening, Good Times, etc. I think some would maybe like the show Unsung that is on TV One, too. I would not mind Sprout for when children visit as the programming is usually educational, and they seem to like it on the local PBS. We actually lost one of our PBS affiliates.

Thoughts? Anyone?

Last edited:
Dish won't provide a list or replacements. They will just increase their profit margin because they will have fewer channels to pay for

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SatelliteGuys mobile app

If they really are shutting down Soapnet this time, then more than likely Disney will get Disney Jr added in the current discussions.

I imagine if G4 is going away, then NBC will negotiate to get NBCSN into AT200. I don't foresee Dish adding any more channels that have low viewership like Cloo. Those types of programming needs to find an online presence. The number of channels needs to be reduced and consolidate the programming they have instead of adding more clutter to the guides with channels that have minimal lineups filled with loops of the same programming and numerous commercials.

Now if they want to pay to be carried, without increasing consumers bills and supported by their unending commercials, then that's a different story.

Man I am out of the loop, I thought G4 was becoming Esquire still. I guess I need to keep abreast of these things. :tongue:

Wasn't there talk of Fearnet going under or being rebranded/modified?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Man I am out of the loop, I thought G4 was becoming Esquire still. I guess I need to keep abreast of these things. :tongue:
That was the plan. But after cancelling all the decent shows on G4 and firing most everyone, they changed their plans and replaced Style with Esquire instead, which happened last month. Speaking of keeping abreast, while Esquire is supposed to be a network for men, their lineup is decidedly only for the kind of man who has no interest whatsoever in breasts. No offense to anyone, but it's just the opposite of what they said they were going to do.

That was the plan. But after cancelling all the decent shows on G4 and firing most everyone, they changed their plans and replaced Style with Esquire instead, which happened last month. Speaking of keeping abreast, while Esquire is supposed to be a network for men, their lineup is decidedly only for the kind of man who has no interest whatsoever in breasts. No offense to anyone, but it's just the opposite of what they said they were going to do.

the Esquire Network was always gonna be a channel for guys that are "Metrosexuals". i see G4 being sold off to the WWE to become the WWE Network as the rumors of it launching in 2014 has picked up steam in the last few weeks.

the Esquire Network was always gonna be a channel for guys that are "Metrosexuals". i see G4 being sold off to the WWE to become the WWE Network as the rumors of it launching in 2014 has picked up steam in the last few weeks.
Yeah, but aren't "Metrosexuals" still straight? Do any straight guys, Metrosexual or otherwise, really watch Project Runway reruns or Sex and the City?

I LOVE Project Runway, and I'm no metrosexual. Just ask both my wives (serial, not concurrent!), or the ladies I dated. Some of them might have a descriptive word for me, but it sure ain't metrosexual!

Dish Network owns a minority interest in G4 Media. Approximately 12%. Maybe that's why Esquire went to Style instead of G4.

Well your dream is starting to become reality...G4 is now gone.

Just saw that as well, I may have been out of the loop but is a surprise or has there been talk of this?

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Comcast/NBCUniveral may want to push for Revolt, the new programmer that is a joint venture between the company and Sean Combs. Dish Network and DirecTV would be two providers Comcast/NBCUniversal and Sean Combs should want access.

ABC/Disney should push for Fusion, from ABC and Univision. It is a news programmer. (Yet ABC has been largely a failure with getting carriage of ABC News Now on many systems.)

I can't say what I figure to be Dish Network's aim with ABC/Disney and Comcast/NBCUniversal. But I will guess that ABC/Disney and Comcast/NBCUniversal want every one of their programming brands available on Dish Network (and all providers). I'm not willing to bet that will happen.

G4 died as a network to me when they canceled their two stable shows Attack Of The Show and X-Play. i watched AOTS almost every day from 2008 (during the Olivia Munn/Kevin Pereira heyday of the show's run) to it's end this earlier year. after the aborted plans to launch Esquire Network on that channel, with Dish dropping G4TV. i guess that means Dish sold off their shares of G4 Holdings to NBC Universal ether as recent as this year or a while back without an announcement. i think G4 will either end on the remaining providers carrying it via shutdown announcement or restart as WWE Network under WWE co-ownership where they will start over from scratch and reestablish the channel as that. sorry to see it go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)