Galaxy 19 at 97W Ku TP Inventory

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I did the same thing Friday, well didn't make a chart, but I cleared and did a re-scan I will have to check your chart with what mine scanned in. Thanks for the chart.

270? That's got to include scrambled and FTA?

Added: Just scanned now for FTA + scrambled. Count: 275 TV; 156 Radio

Added2: I meant to include this as a quick summary:
97W_Ku_TP Summary.jpg

Last edited:
yeah that included scrambled. Reason I say that is there are some channels that show scrambled when scanning but are in the clear

I thought they cleaned those up a while ago. I guess I'll have to check again.

At the last counts on G-19 bird was 279 video feeds, and I am wondering when they plan to go full scales by going to MPEG-4 mode and get up many as 500 to 1000 channel depending on video formats i'e 480, 576, 720 and 1080, with 50 Hz or 60 Hz.:):cool:

they would have the update the Globecast receivers...wonder how many are out there
Also the Glorystar stuff too.....lots of MPEG2 receivers out there ;)

At the last counts on G-19 bird was 279 video feeds, and I am wondering when they plan to go full scales by going to MPEG-4 mode and get up many as 500 to 1000 channel depending on video formats i'e 480, 576, 720 and 1080, with 50 Hz or 60 Hz.:):cool:

I'd rather see less filler, more quality on Galaxy 19. Al Jazeera HD would be amazing, and NHK World HD already exists. They really should launch a feed on the Ku Band so more people can get it; that C Band feed over on Intelsat 9 isn't very practical for most.

Xizer said:
I'd rather see less filler, more quality on Galaxy 19. Al Jazeera HD would be amazing, and NHK World HD already exists. They really should launch a feed on the Ku Band so more people can get it; that C Band feed over on Intelsat 9 isn't very practical for most.

That's a high dollar bird to rent from.

The only way I see hd on that bird is when it's replaced with a bird that has KA

HD feeds will always be on any bands thanks to new video compression and beside every things is going Star Trek I'll tell you that!!:):whoo::bow

Where we go next? For me is Subspace Radio or turning Spaceship into Starship with warp drive that will break the light speed barrier, and you know the rules are meant to be broken!:D

Just look the old classic movie flick called the Right Stuff where Chuck Yeger break the sound barriors, now that's why we can do it!!:usa2::bow

...Al Jazeera HD would be amazing, and NHK World HD already exists. They really should launch a feed on the Ku Band so more people can get it; that C Band feed over on Intelsat 9 isn't very practical for most.
NHK World HD is already available online here. You can connect that site to your big screen and it looks very nice. I've followed NHK's overseas offering for a long time and it's only been available for free via C-band forever and only on tough-to-receive (for west coasters at least) via Intelsat 9. I don't think Al Jazeera is HD online, but it is a nice image to watch though Galaxy 19 Ku is nicer. I've watched Al Jazeera mature and its station is world class now.

Then why they wont's go on KU-Band thanks to so called copyright censorship, while be bitrate starved only by getting PBS carring NHK, but rest of want 24/7 feeds of NHK live feeds on KU-band 24/7 full time.:hungry:

The world news, is getting crazy now in day and ages....:(

There are lot's of us can't get the sexy C-band dish, sadly to say in order to get NHK. What I what tell you boy and girls make a request to NHK go to KU-Band full time FTA for the by the people and by the people.:hungry::bow

You wrote that on a smartphone, didn't ya? Those phones sometimes don't make us sound so smart. I didn't know PBS carried NHK. I've seen BBC on PBS. In this case, one of the purposes of NHK C-band is to serve end users. The NHK website even publicizes here how any end user can directly receive their satellite feed.

You wrote that on a smartphone, didn't ya? Those phones sometimes don't make us sound so smart. I didn't know PBS carried NHK. I've seen BBC on PBS. In this case, one of the purposes of NHK C-band is to serve end users. The NHK website even publicizes here how any end user can directly receive their satellite feed.

This is what makes their decision to put it on the C Band all the more perplexing. If they want end users to be able to see it Ku would have been the smarter choice. I doubt even 5% of FTA'ers worldwide have a C Band dish. It's not a medium you use when you want people watching your channel.

The fact that it's on C Band worldwide is just strange. How many Asians have the room for C Band dishes? I guess NHK just hates city dwellers. I actually wrote to NHK asking why they don't distribute on Ku for a wider audience but they never replied.

NHK World HD is already available online here.

There's nothing "HD" about that web stream.

Even NASA's pitiful ustream channel is better quality.

I didn't know PBS carried NHK. I've seen BBC on PBS.

Some of the affiliates air the "Newsline" program and after the earthquake I saw the occasional special pop up on WNET. Unlike PBS's carriage of BBC World News however, they transmit NHK World content in actual high definition and it looks great.

CPTV uplinks the 30-minute Newsline program a couple times a day on HD04. Unfortunately that is all they uplink; I'm more interested in NHK World for all the documentaries and other Japan-related programming besides news. Only very rarely does PBS distribute something besides Newsline.

Last edited:
This is what makes their decision to put it on the C Band all the more perplexing. If they want end users to be able to see it Ku would have been the smarter choice. I doubt even 5% of FTA'ers worldwide have a C Band dish. It's not a medium you use when you want people watching your channel.
I assume the C-band feeds are primarily for distribution (to hotels perhaps) and secondarily for end users. So their reasons for using C-band probably fall in line with why many others use C-band. The C-band feeds have been there since 1998 that I remember, and maybe longer before I was interested in NHK. So it's probably a legacy issue.

The fact that it's on C Band worldwide is just strange. How many Asians have the room for C Band dishes? I guess NHK just hates city dwellers. I actually wrote to NHK asking why they don't distribute on Ku for a wider audience but they never replied.
I know in Indonesia, C-band dishes used to be plentiful. Maybe it's the tropical weather with regular heavy downpours that make C-band more reliable in places like that. I remember those dishes since their elevation is so high being located near the equator that they look like inverted umbrellas. The people in the more developed Asian countries now just subscribe to satellite pay TV. As far back as 1992 in Japan, I used a 60 cm Ku-band dish for digital satellite pay TV. In Japan now, FTTH (fiber-to-the-home) is common for TV distribution in the big cities.

There's nothing "HD" about that web stream.
It may not technically be HD but it's the clearest Internet TV station I've seen and is quite nice even on a large screen. It's "HD" logo on screen may be referring to the source being HD.

Some of the affiliates air the "Newsline" program and after the earthquake I saw the occasional special pop up on WNET. Unlike PBS's carriage of BBC World News however, they transmit NHK World content in actual high definition and it looks great.
The BBC America News program broadcast on LPB on SES 2 at 6:00 pm EDT nightly is in 1080i HD. I have been comparing its look with our current local free preview on cable of BBC World HD and both look pretty much the same to the eye.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)