Galaxy10R - can't find it...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DeepDishPie

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2005
Hey All

I can't seem to get anything with my Dish setup.

I have a Starchoice 27 inch oval dish with the Standard dual output LNBF - I know it's a touch small for FTA, thats why I am trying to tune in G10r, it being fairly close to me, and with some strong signals. For a receiver I have a Twinhan VP1020a in my computer, and DvbTV as the software, (and MyTheatre).

Now I used Eric Johnston's calculator and it says that for my location, to point the dish at Azimuth 160.5 (Magnetic), and Elevation at 33.8, and use a polarization tilt of 0.

Anyways I scan and get nothing....?

So let's run through these.
I set the azimuth using a compass to 160.5
I set the elevation to 33.8 using the scale on the dish mount.
I set my LNB Freq1 to 10750 for the LNBF.

Are there other settings I need to do for the LNB? DvbTV also wants a LNB freq 2 setting, what's that about?

And what's a polarization tilt? Does that mean I should turn the LNB in it's holder to that value? And is this LNB internally switched? If so what setting do I do for that? Would it be 22kz tone? Tone Burst? Data Burst? DiSEqC?

By the way, the signal meter in DvbTV hovers around 30 no matter where I point the dish, unless I choose another sat from the list then it goes down to 27ish or if I switch the LNBF power off in which case it goes down to 5.

My Location is:
237e by 49n

After a couple days of turning the d**n dish a little this way, and little that way, my patience is running out. Not to mention the sky dance with the ladder is killing my knees.

Man I sound like a newbee. That's cause I am.

Any help you all can give me would be great...

I'm not 100% sure this helps, but here is a similar thread:

ku on an 18" dish

I'd also recommend you start with trying to pick up test card channels on starchoice satellites (anikf1?I think) then working from there. From the thread I linked to, I'm not sure if G10R was ever found.

First make sure you have a linear Lnb, you can only get g10r with a linear or universal lnb, a circular like expressvu/starchoice will not work, although I believe starchoice used a linear when they first started to broadcast in canada. If it is a linear lnb, your settings look fine other than scew. G10r is at about 10 degrees East (rotate the lnb to the right a bit), there are calculators out there for scew. Try using a different piece of software i.e., mytheater/ritz/dvbdream. these seem to work alot better than the packaged software with the cards, never used dvbtv before. Also, the one thing with dvb card software is video codecs. If you don't have a good video codec installed i.e., nvidea, mpeg4 etc. the program will not show any qual or sat readings. I know its sounds weird, but thats how they work. Not sure about your location, your latitude can't go over 180 degrees, so I'm not sure how you came up with 237e. Could you mean 123w (360-237) and 49n, which would be in British Columbia? anyways, this whole game is trial and error. give that a shot and get back to the board if you have any success or failures to report.

Gosh, I have been told that Starchoice only uses Linear....?
And I have many video codecs installed...
And yes I am at 123 W by 49 N.
Just wish I could find the settings for this LNB...

I keep hunting.

Thanks All.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)