Status
Please reply by conversation.

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
So this is the dish I have been eyeing at a local gas station. Looks too big to be KU but has what appears to be a Hughes tria on it. Not sure if its in use. Worth it?

Tried to post full-res pics but it never seems to let me :(

2A1FB1F5-059E-4480-B76A-B8D8475F96C3.jpeg
08EE734C-C4C0-41D5-BF0C-139395E77021.jpeg

Judging by the condition of the paint job, I’m thinking (hoping) it’s no longer in use. But who knows. I’m going to stop in tomorrow morning and ask.

TAKE that deal on that dish if you can get it. That is a 1 meter to 1.2 meter channel master dish I have several of those get your hands on that dish.

Reactions: spongella
Those type dishes are for credit card transactions and updating inventory in real time.

It was a really uncomfortable conversation. There are some really unpleasant people in these parts.

Then again, I'm walking in there, asking if they want their old rusty dish.

Hey, at least I bought a soda first. :D

Oh, I know. I’ve been asked if “I’m ok” and yelled at for asking for their satellite dishes . They were telling me that a old Primestar satellite dish with no LNB was in use.

Reactions: FTA4PA
They were telling me that a old Primestar satellite dish with no LNB was in use.

Now THAT is hilarious!

I think some people see it as "you want something for free? piss off, nothing is free." I'm about as conservative as they come, so usually I would agree with the sentiment, but when it comes to a Primestar dish, we're basically talking about obsolete, inactive junk for most people.

Reactions: MosFET77
TAKE that deal on that dish if you can get it. That is a 1 meter to 1.2 meter channel master dish I have several of those get your hands on that dish.
I do have some doubts about being a Channelmaster , the side arm are attached at the side of the dish , not in frontside of the dish .

Its looks almost round , could it be a Prodelin ? I do have such 890 mm dish

frontside.jpg

comfortablynumb,

I know how you feel, there's an Exxon station that has a large (possibly 4 foot) dish atop the gas pumps overhang, missing the LNB for years and pretty sorry-looking. I asked the gas station attendant one day if they'd consider selling it. I described my interest as a hobbyist. Yeah, he appeared puzzled, but took my number and said he'd give it to the station owner, which was nice of him. That was several years ago, and the dish is still up there. But am glad I asked. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as the old adage goes.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
It was a really uncomfortable conversation. There are some really unpleasant people in these parts.

Then again, I'm walking in there, asking if they want their old rusty dish.

Hey, at least I bought a soda first. :D

The other day I asked the Superintendent of the State Park near where I work about a couple of BUDs that was once part of the local cable system. I got "the look" so I added that I was a Ham and wanted them for my hobby (I am a Ham, KD8VBV) that got a grin and a big 'ol " OK!" :biggrin So now when I ask about a dish I tell people that "I'm a Ham and need that for my hobby!" :devilish A little white lie maybe, I didn't specify which hobby, but people seem to make a connection and are more willing to help!

The other day I asked the Superintendent of the State Park near where I work about a couple of BUDs that was once part of the local cable system. I got "the look" so I added that I was a Ham and wanted them for my hobby (I am a Ham, KD8VBV) that got a grin and a big 'ol " OK!" :biggrin So now when I ask about a dish I tell people that "I'm a Ham and need that for my hobby!" :devilish A little white lie maybe, I didn't specify which hobby, but people seem to make a connection and are more willing to help!

I like the idea. I doubt it would work here. People in SW Missouri and SE Kansas would think "Ham" is food. If I told them "I'm a Ham," they would picture a pig and think I'm insane. :boom

Reactions: Brct203
People in...SE Kansas would think "Ham" is food.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Sometimes it's just timing...

An older chain gas/convenience store in town ("famous" for their pizza) had a 1.2m on the roof with a spray painted X on it. I asked the store manager and they said 'No'; it wasn't long and there was another 1.2m in its' place.

Short time later they closed the store to raze it for a new store. I happened to take an alternate route to work one day and saw the dish still on the building. I stopped and asked the demo crew gutting the old store. The foreman said get it down before 10 am, which I did. Later that afternoon, the roof and a significant portion of the original building was gone. Fortunate timing got a 1.2m and NPRM.

Hey! I resemble that remark!

Sometimes it's just timing...

An older chain gas/convenience store in town ("famous" for their pizza) had a 1.2m on the roof with a spray painted X on it. I asked the store manager and they said 'No'; it wasn't long and there was another 1.2m in its' place.

Short time later they closed the store to raze it for a new store. I happened to take an alternate route to work one day and saw the dish still on the building. I stopped and asked the demo crew gutting the old store. The foreman said get it down before 10 am, which I did. Later that afternoon, the roof and a significant portion of the original building was gone. Fortunate timing got a 1.2m and NPRM.

Famous for pizza eh.... Caseys? :biggrin

I collect the box tops

827E5942-98AD-4133-AE65-38D18EF0D3FF.jpeg

Reactions: Jason S
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)