Gen4 Rumors

stardust3

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2006
Ok I know the info coming out of Alexandria VA is supposed to be pretty tight lipped, but...............
I was not there but am hearing rumors worth posting.
No more daily caps, all based on monthly usage with gen4 & includes roll over.
Unlimited period still in use, hrs changed & will be from 2am-8am, they added an extra 1 hr.
Speeds guaranteed to 10mg, but some could experience higher.
Pre order will be the 13th for some dealers & the 24th for the rest.
Official release for all is 10/1/12.
Anyone care to elaborate further, please feel to post additional info.

Still not up to FiOS, but seemingly good news.

I agree, but, for the many under served in this country it is indeed good news.

Rumors are rumors until validated officially from the company themselves. We'll see in the coming days. :)

navychop said:
Still not up to FiOS, but seemingly good news.

Not a fair comparison. Fios is good -where it is- but since Verizon turned it's back on it, there will be no expansion beyond the areas that have it now.

Sent from my DROIDX using SatelliteGuys

The bonus bytes are a little misleading & are going to be hard to explain. Overall it seems to be a significant improvement.
Wonder what the overage fees per gig are going to be?

The new Gen4 monthly data allowance plan is a change but the Anytime Allowance alone is actually a significant increase over HughesNet's daily allowances for their current SpaceWay plans:

7.5 GB/mo. - Basic 1.0 Mbps Plan @ 250MB/day X 30 days
10.0 GB/mo. - Gen4 Power Plan

10.5 GB/mo. - Power 150 1.5 Mbps Plan @ 350MB/day X 30 days
15.0 GB/mo. - Gen4 Power PRO Plan

13.5 GB/mo. - Power 150 2.0 Mbps Plan @ 450MB/day X 30 days
20.0 GB/mo. - Gen4 Power MAX Plan

HughesNet indicated they will make additional data blocks available for purchase, starting October 1

Last edited:
HughesNet's daily allowances for their current SpaceWay plans:
7.5 GB/mo. - Basic 1.0 Mbps Plan @ 250MB/day X 30 days
10.0 GB/mo. - Gen4 Power Plan
10.5 GB/mo. - Power 150 1.5 Mbps Plan @ 350MB/day X 30 days
15.0 GB/mo. - Gen4 Power PRO Plan
13.5 GB/mo. - Power 150 2.0 Mbps Plan @ 450MB/day X 30 days
20.0 GB/mo. - Gen4 Power MAX Plan

Took me a while to realize that you were listing the existing Spaceway sales data. So I thought a little clarification would help. Here's the October Gen4 sales data as it stands today.
gen4 price list.jpg
It's important to note that the seemingly large increase in data allowance is conditional; half is the regular allowance (0701-0159 Eastern) and half is an off-peak allowance (0200-0700 Eastern). They call the two usage periods "Anytime Bytes" and "Bonus Bytes" respectively. As with the Spaceway "unlimited zone", the use of a download manager utility will facilitate usage during the Gen4 wee hours.

And if I'm permitted a little speculation, I think the proposed Bonus Bytes will eventually revert to the old "unlimited zone". There's a little corporate gamesmanship going on here. Given ViaSat's recent and unexpected announcement of an Exede unlimited zone (0200-0800), I'm pretty sure Hughes will have to uncap the Gen4 Bonus Bytes.

//greg//

Last edited:
What is confusing about DISH and hughesNEt both selling a service based on Echostar technology?

And if I'm permitted a little speculation, I think the proposed Bonus Bytes will eventually revert to the old "unlimited zone". There's a little corporate gamesmanship going on here. Given ViaSat's recent and unexpected announcement of an Exede unlimited zone (0200-0800), I'm pretty sure Hughes will have to uncap the Gen4 Bonus Bytes.

//greg//
I think you're right. That announcement probably caught HN a little by surprise.

I'd be curious how many users actually make use of the current Download Zone or the new Bonus Bytes. Most average "non techie" users won't/don't know how to use tools like the Download Manager, or how to reschedule their OS and App updates. Since that's not part of the HN install reqs, and it takes time to set these up and configure them right, most installers probably don't do this for the customer.

Last edited:
It's important to note that the seemingly large increase in data allowance is conditional; half is the regular allowance (0701-0159 Eastern) and half is an off-peak allowance (0200-0700 Eastern).
Made a mistake. Hours are 0801-0159 and 0200-0800 respectively. And this will be your local time, not Eastern time - unless of course you live in the Eastern time zone.

//greg//

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts