General Sports Trivia

In light of the penalty-filled Arizona/San Francisco Monday Night game,

what's the record for most combined penalties by two teams in one NFL game?
and the answer is....22
22... Brooklyn vs. Green Bay, Sept. 17, 1944
Chi. Bears vs. Philadelphia, Nov. 26, 1944
San Francisco vs. Buffalo, Oct. 4, 1998
Source nfl.com..............NFL Records
OOPS that was just one team....Here's the answer for combined penalties by both teams in one game....
Most Penalties, Both Teams, Game
37 Cleveland (21) vs. Chi. Bears (16), Nov. 25, 1951
35 Tampa Bay (20) vs. Seattle (15), Oct. 17, 1976
34 San Francisco (22) vs. Buffalo (12), Oct. 4, 1998

[Who said of what 6'7" college baketball player "If he's in the post, you need 4 players to tackle him and pray."

Cliff Meeley, Colorado. Semester break Colorado's 7'2" center flunked out of school (not because he was mentally challenged, but because he was 7'2") Colorado's coach (the coach that turned down Spencer Haywood the same day he got a commitment from Meeley, but that's another strange story), moved the 6'7" do anything Meeley to the post. Hank Iba made the comment after playing the Buffs. When Colorado played and lost to Colorado State in the NCAA regional finals, four CSU players would foul out, trying to guard Meeley, but the stategy worked and CSU won.:D

Paul Horning was serving his guard duty at Fort Riley when I was in the Red One. Discribed as a truck driver that goofed off most the time.:D

I'm trying to remember what Heisman trophy players played for the Lions, and the only names that come to mind are Billy Sims, Steve Owens, Nick Eddy, and Andre Ware. I don't believe any of them are in the HoF. Sims would be the closest, but I don't believe he played long enough, before tearing up his knee. Eddy played at Notre Dame and tore up his knee getting on (or off) a train. I'm not even sure if he even played for Detroit. Owens tore up his knee also. Andre Ware, yeah right.:rolleyes: So, I guess I'm saying that I haven't a clue.

I'm trying to remember what Heisman trophy players played for the Lions, and the only names that come to mind are Billy Sims, Steve Owens, Nick Eddy, and Andre Ware. I don't believe any of them are in the HoF. Sims would be the closest, but I don't believe he played long enough, before tearing up his knee. Eddy played at Notre Dame and tore up his knee getting on (or off) a train. I'm not even sure if he even played for Detroit. Owens tore up his knee also. Andre Ware, yeah right.:rolleyes: So, I guess I'm saying that I haven't a clue.

1986- Doak Walker

Elite Eight

I'm amazed that only 8 Heisman trophy winners are in the HoF! Who are the other 7?

Here you go.......

1985- Roger Staubach- Dallas Cowboys
1985- OJ Simpson- Buffalo Bills
1986- Doak Walker- Detroit Lions
1986- Paul Hornung- Green Bay Packers
1991- Earl Campbell- Houston Oilers
1994- Tony Dorsett- Dallas Coqboys
2003- Marcus Allen- LA Raiders
2004- Barry Sanders- Detroit Lions

Doak Walker was a Lion?!

Wow...

DOAK WALKER

Class of 1986
Halfback >>> 5-11, 173
(Southern Methodist)
1950-1955 Detroit Lions

Ewell Doak Walker, Jr
. . .Three-time All-America, 1948 Heisman Trophy winner. . .Played major role in Lions' successes, early 1950s. . .Ran 67 yards for winning TD in 1952 title game. . . Extremely versatile - rushed, passed, caught passes, returned punts and kickoffs, punted, placekicked and played defense in emergencies. . . Scored 534 points, won two NFL scoring titles. . .All-NFL five years. . .Played in five Pro Bowls. . .Born January 1, 1927, in Dallas, Texas. . .Died September 27, 1998, at age of 71.

Walker_Doak_Induction_180-220.jpg

That just illustrates how difficult making the "next step" in sports really is. The best of college football, and only 8 players went on to greater fame. Hard to believe the number is so small. Makes you wonder what some of these kids are thinking leaving college early for the pros. Great Q, Matt!

That just illustrates how difficult making the "next step" in sports really is. The best of college football, and only 8 players went on to greater fame. Hard to believe the number is so small. Makes you wonder what some of these kids are thinking leaving college early for the pros. Great Q, Matt!

Yes indeed. Hard to believe, but true. :up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts