Genie Gen 3

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Since even Directv seems to be confused as to which Genie is which, I suggest we stick to using the model number when referring to a specific one, not gen 2 or 3 or whatever.

Since even Directv seems to be confused as to which Genie is which, I suggest we stick to using the model number when referring to a specific one, not gen 2 or 3 or whatever.

Only directv.com uses the weird naming scheme but essentially this is what it means

directv.com name / Model Number
"Genie Gen 1" / HR34-xxx
"Genie Gen 2" / HR44-xxx
"Genie Gen 3" / HR54-xxx
"Genie 2" / HS17-xxx

Reactions: DTV-Tech
Only directv.com uses the weird naming scheme but essentially this is what it means

directv.com name / Model Number
"Genie Gen 1" / HR34-xxx
"Genie Gen 2" / HR44-xxx
"Genie Gen 3" / HR54-xxx
"Genie 2" / HS17-xxx
Yes, but it's still confusing. Model numbers eliminate any of that.

Reactions: Jimbo
I've been installing the Genie 2 for new customers for the past four or five months, so I don't know why someone would say they're only for upgrades, sounds fishy to me.

Techs like that upgrade package because it's usually also accompanied by wireless minies, which makes the installation much easier and also gives the customer the ability to move their minies around from room to room without needing to have cable runs everywhere, but wireless minies are not 4K. As for the tower not being physically conducive to some people's setups, I haven't ever found that to be an issue since the tower is a "headless unit" (meaning it cannot directly run a tv without a minie) so it can be stashed away just about anywhere there's a cable (if being used with wired minies).

About the only advantage I see with the Genie 2 is it's having eight RXs compared to five in the HR54, and this only comes into play when there's more than four TVs in the house, which can easily be overcome by simply using multiple non-Genie receivers anyway. Sure it has a WVB built in, but so what, I'll often put that in a centralized location away from the Genie anyway, so that's not a big deal either.

In summary, not getting the latest greatest Genie 2 is not a big deal and in fact that tower can wind up costing more in the long run because of it's inherent restriction of being the ONLY receiver allowed on the network, requiring more STB replacements than otherwise needed to achieve an objective
like simply adding 4K ability. Just getting an HR54 and a RB3 LNB then adding C61K minies where needed does the job AND allows you to still keep any other non-Genie receivers you already have.

I've been installing the Genie 2 for new customers for the past four or five months, so I don't know why someone would say they're only
for upgrades, sounds fishy to me. Techs like that upgrade package because it's usually also accompanied by wireless minies, which makes
the installation much easier and also gives the customer the ability to move their minies around from room to room without needing to have
cable runs everywhere, but wireless minies are not 4K. As for the tower not being physically conducive to some people's setups, I haven't ever
found that to be an issue since the tower is a "headless unit" (meaning it cannot directly run a tv without a minie) so it can be stashed away just
about anywhere there's a cable (if being used with wired minies).

About the only advantage I see with the Genie 2 is it's having eight RXs compared to five in the HR54, and this only comes into play when there's
more than four TVs in the house, which can easily be overcome by simply using multiple non-Genie receivers anyway. Sure it has a WVB built in,
but so what, I'll often put that in a centralized location away from the Genie anyway, so that's not a big deal either.

In summary, not getting the latest greatest Genie 2 is not a big deal and in fact that tower can wind up costing more in the long run because of it's inherent
restriction of being the ONLY receiver allowed on the network
, requiring more STB replacements than otherwise needed to achieve an objective
like simply adding 4K ability. Just getting an HR54 and a RB3 LNB then adding C61K minies where needed does the job AND allows you to still keep
any other non-Genie receivers you already have.
You are contradicting yourself. Only clients are allowed with the HS17, but you said twice that you can use a non Genie receiver with it. I am intrigued by your statement that you are installing HS17 for new customers. This is the first time I've heard that being done. Good to hear.

In summary, not getting the latest greatest Genie 2 is not a big deal and in fact that tower can wind up costing more in the long run because of it's inherent restriction of being the ONLY receiver allowed on the network, requiring more STB replacements than otherwise needed to achieve an objective
like simply adding 4K ability. Just getting an HR54 and a RB3 LNB then adding C61K minies where needed does the job AND allows you to still keep any other non-Genie receivers you already have.

compared to five in the HR54, and this only comes into play when there's more than four TVs in the house, which can easily be overcome by simply using multiple non-Genie receivers anyway.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
I look at the Genie 2's requirement of being the only receiver allowed as a detriment considering it only has three more receivers than a 44 or 54.
A 54 is needed for 4K and, having no such "me and only me allowed" receiver restriction, would actually be my preference given that I could still
keep my other receivers instead of having to replace absolutely everything.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
I look at the Genie 2's requirement of being the only receiver allowed as a detriment considering it only has three more receivers than a 44 or 54.
A 54 is needed for 4K and, having no such "me and only me allowed" receiver restriction, would actually be my preference given that I could still
Got it. See, this is a perfect example of where using the model number instead of Genie 2 or whatever would eliminate confusion!

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
I think a ot of the confusion could be resolved if you said HR54 and HS17 instead of get Is whatever number ...
I originally thought when you said genie 2 you were talking about the HS17, then later it sounded like you were talking about the HR54 .... so confusing ....
If I have 4 recvr with recordings on them, there' no way I'm taking a HS17 and losing all my recordings ....
Now for New Subs that are just getting started, this is a good idea ... they don't know any better.

If I have 4 recvr with recordings on them, there' no way I'm taking a HS17 and losing all my recordings ....

Yep, I've had to do quite a few work order mods because I'd advise the customer they are about to lose all of their recordings.
I'm in the habit of just saying "Genie 2" because it's understood, in NC, that refers to the HS17 tower but I agree it certainly can get confusing.
If I had a bunch of recordings on several other receivers there's no way I'd forfeit that just to get "the latest greatest" (especially when it's not the greatest).

IMHO the HR44 is the most versatile given that, since the power inserter is sitting separately on the floor, it and all the minies can be easily swapped around (although I fail to see any real need to do so).

If 4K is wanted then an HR54 is needed, but given that it (like the HR44) WILL "play nice" with as many other receivers as you'd like, I really don't see what all the fanfare over HS17 is all about.

The HR54 is the most versatile since you can attach a 4K client if you want, plus you have the choice of an internal or external power inserter.

The HR54 is the most versatile since you can attach a 4K client if you want, plus you have the choice of an internal or external power inserter.

Yeah ok, if you have an external power inserter then you can easily swap the boxes around (like with the 44) AND have 4K capability. So I see your point.
Although actually you can still swap boxes around without an external power inserter as long as you reassign the cable at the 54's new location to the power passing port on the splitter, which was a topic on another thread (which is also why that was considered as "versatility" with respect to the 44).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)