Genie Software Update Coming...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
A new software version will be released for all DIRECTV Genie models starting late-August 2017. The download will take approximately three weeks to complete a national rollout, and includes several technician-impacting changes related to the Internet connection process for Genies.

Genie Internet Connection Guidance Changing
In an effort to improve the reliability of the in-home Internet connection for DIRECTV customers, an Ethernet connection is now the preferred method of connecting to the Internet for all Genie models (except the H44) in all situations. That means if the option is available, technicians should choose to connect these Genie models via a hard-wired Ethernet connection instead of utilizing a wireless connection or a Broadband DECA. This guidance does not apply to the H44 model as it does not have an Ethernet port.

Now, when the Internet connection setup process is initiated on eligible Genie models, a new “Connect Ethernet Cable” screen will display that places an Ethernet connection as the best choice for connecting to the Internet. The screen still gives the option of connecting wirelessly, and a Broadband DECA can still be used, but those options should be considered secondary to establishing a hard-wired connection.

ConnectEthernetCable.jpg

Note that if a Broadband DECA is used, these Genie models will now automatically connect to the internet, bypassing the usual “Connect Now” Internet connection setup screens.

Internet Connection Process Improvements (HR44 and Above Models)
A number of other enhancements have been made to the Internet connection process that will improve the experience for technicians and customers.

Optimize Network Instructions
Once an Internet connection has been established, the “Internet Setup Successful” screen will display with a new feature: a speedometer. This tool provides an easy-to-understand indicator of the customer’s home Internet speed and how it relates to consuming content via the DIRECTV system.

InternetSetupSuccessful.jpg

If the speedometer falls below the 4K mark (speeds necessary to stream 4K content), an Optimize Network button will become available. Selecting it will bring the user to the new “Optimize Your Network” screen, which provides information on how to potentially improve home Internet speeds. The guidance on this screen will change depending on whether the Genie system is utilizing a wired or wireless Internet connection.

OptimizeYourNetwork.jpg

Speed Test
If a user needs to manually check the home Internet speed outside of the initial Internet connection process, they can now do so by selecting the new speed test option. To do so, navigate the following DIRECTV system menu path: Menu button on DIRECTV remote > Settings & Help > Settings > Internet Setup. From that screen, select Speed Test. This rechecks the home Internet connection, and then brings the user to the “Internet Setup Successful” screen mentioned above where the speedometer displays the quality of the connection.

On-screen Keyboard
When utilizing a wireless connection for the Genie system, the “Enter Password” screen displays so that the user can enter the credentials for the appropriate Wi-Fi network. This screen now features a keyboard that includes the ability to toggle capital letters on/off and enter special symbols, making it easier to enter complex passwords via the DIRECTV remote.

Enhancements have also been made so that pressing the right (>) key on the DIRECTV remote moves the on-screen cursor from the keypad to the Continue button. Previously, this key selection entered a space in the password and caused incorrect password entries.

OnScreenKeyboard.jpg

4K Channels Exposed and 4K VOD Homepage Moved
4K broadcast channels (104-106) will now display in the DIRECTV guide for all Genie models, not just those capable of passing live 4K content to a 4K client. If a user attempts to access or record live 4K content without the proper equipment, the below screen will display to offer the user more info on DIRECTV 4K and how to get activated.

4KInfo.jpg

The VOD Home Page for 4K has also been moved to channel 1104 so that it corresponds with the main broadcast 4K channel 104.

Various OSD Changes
A number of Internet connection-related OSDs have been updated with more precise language to better clarify the actions the DIRECTV system is taking and the options available to the user.

Some folks have noted that after the D80 software push that they are missing My DIRECTV, mobile DVR, Pandora, DIRECTV on Demand and doing a clearmybox 2 keyword search corrects it. I'd give the box 12 hours after the software is installed to see if the missing things show up on their own before doing the clearmybox 2.

Some folks have noted that after the D80 software push that they are missing My DIRECTV, mobile DVR, Pandora, DIRECTV on Demand and doing a clearmybox 2 keyword search corrects it. I'd give the box 12 hours after the software is installed to see if the missing things show up on their own before doing the clearmybox 2.

Mobile DVR hasn't been working for us for a while. I will give this a try. Thanks!

You only need to enter CLEARMYBOX if you're on national software. CLEARMYBOX 2 keeps the CE-related icon and actions on your system and only needs to be used by CE users.

A nice update for the folks that have 4K tvs, now I wish they would make their UI faster...and some type of software improvement for their wireless clients.

A nice update for the folks that have 4K tvs, now I wish they would make their UI faster...and some type of software improvement for their wireless clients.
There is the rumored new UI coming, don't know when. As for the C41W's got a C41W-100 and C41W-500, except for the UI being a little slower then my C41, they work the same.

Whew ...

Just for the heck of it, tried to force a download of D80 on my HR54-500 when the FW watcher reported it in the satellite stream.

And boy what a mess it was ....

Even after repeated attempts, for some reason download kept slowing to a crawl at about 63% to advance at only about 1% point every 3 minutes.

Then strangely when the d/l bogged down like this, after a time the box's A/V outputs would just power off for some reason. And when I turned them back on the d/l progress bar would start all over again from 0% only to become snarled at 63% again.

Finally gave up and bailed out of the entire thing ...

Sheesh, hope it doesn't go this way when the box is actually scheduled to d/l D80. It'll never make it if this happens again.

With the exception of the 4K. The network test has been out in the d7f firmware from 3-4 weeks ago

...would be nice if this helped fix the client/server audio dropouts, which are going on 2 years old. ridiculous.

Reactions: IcEWoLF
They would need to be consistent fixes for me to swap my HR24 for a client.
4K does make it tempting at times but still not enough content for me at this time.

Reactions: Jimbo
...would be nice if this helped fix the client/server audio dropouts, which are going on 2 years old. ridiculous.

This, it seems like this is the most prominent issue with DTV clients on their forums.

It happens time to time for me, sometimes the audio goes out of sync when that happens, no issues on the main genie.

This, it seems like this is the most prominent issue with DTV clients on their forums.

It happens time to time for me, sometimes the audio goes out of sync when that happens, no issues on the main genie.

This has not been an issue for me on the C61k, although I don't use it all that much to be honest.

Tried again three times last night to force download 0x0D80 to my Genie when it became active in the stream.

Same result, no joy ...

Download is painfully slow to begin with, then becomes horribly slow when the progress bar reaches into the low 60% range. To finally grinding to a complete halt altogether in the high 80 to low 90% range causing the box to eventually timeout and start all over again from 0% and the "searching for new software/found new software" phase.

So I give up, no more force d/l attempts for me ... Don't know what's up with this release as I've never had this kind of trouble bringing down an NR or even a CE version before.

After installation, of course I've had issues with upgrades on occasion. But never just to get the firmware download to begin with.

Dunno, I set mine up two days ago. Moving thru menus it is faster than my HR54 after it has been powered up a bit.

Yeah. Definitely something wrong with mine then. The only thing that I would say is fast is Pause/Play. FF, RW, List, Guide, Menu, etc. all come with a 2-3 second delay that doesn't exist on my HR54.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)