Genie Video Outputs

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

flair6

Original poster
Jun 22, 2013
I have a quick Genie question. On the back of the Genie there is a HDMI output as well as an S Video cable output. Currently I am only using the HDMI. Could I also simultaneously use the S Video and run it to another tv (patio)? I know that whatever channel was on the Genie would be on both tvs. I just wasn't sure if this is possible. Thanks for any advice.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

yes you can, just know that as long as your genie is set to anything above 480 you will see a warning screen on the s video tv stating your cables are not HD. no big deal really as the screen goes away after about 30 seconds and you will have tv.

Thx HIFI. Is there an easier way to do this or do I have to get the s video cable and audio cables?

:welcome to Satelliteguys flair6!

All outputs are live all the time, but HDMI is the only one that carries audio and video. Whichever other one you use you will need to run audio separately.

If he has it out on the patio, it may be too far for an HDMI signal, or it may be an older analog set. If the patio set is HD, running component video and audio might be the best option. Component is easier to run at longer distances.

yes you can, just know that as long as your genie is set to anything above 480 you will see a warning screen on the s video tv stating your cables are not HD. no big deal really as the screen goes away after about 30 seconds and you will have tv.

good to know

....Until you change a channel or use the remote then the message comes back. Its annoying & it's BS if you ask me. I used to use the the analog outs, until they basically made them useless. Just a way for DTV to herd the sheep to pay for an additional recever to watch on another TV.

there re HDMI boosters that let you use 2 CAT5 shielded cables to run it a long ways. I know a guy here that has several setup this way in his huge home, the longest run is over 200'. you have to use shielded cat5, otherwise it will get all sorts of interference from AC power circuits.

Thank you everyone for this helpful information.

I used to split my HR24 into the bedroom TV, component and audio to my bedroom TV and HDMI to the main TV. This worked okay, and the aforementioned "not HD" message is easy enough to deal with - but wasn't okay was that the movie channels did not work. I forget what the message said but the gist was that copyright rules did not allow viewing on multiple outputs.

....Until you change a channel or use the remote then the message comes back. Its annoying & it's BS if you ask me. I used to use the the analog outs, until they basically made them useless. Just a way for DTV to herd the sheep to pay for an additional recever to watch on another TV.

It's not Directv's idea. It's the movie industry behind it.

It's not Directv's idea. It's the movie industry behind it.

True. It's the same with the HDCP issues relating to HDMI interconnects. I had to get a passive HDMI switcher for my 2 PC's due to that HDCP handshake annoyance even though my PC monitor is HDCP-compliant according to the mfgr spec.

It prevents numerous interconnect scenarios with home ent. equipment as well as PC monitors.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)