Genpix Skywalker 1

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JAS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 15, 2008
In the USA
I have been looking around for a Genpix Skywalker 1 just to play around with. They are not cheap. The least expensive one I have seen went for $110 on Ebay. I don't do Ebay but just wanted to get an ideal of the going price. Wonder why are these holding such a high value when they don't do much anymore.

I use mine all the time for FTA.

On the Genpix website they are going for $199.

Don't follow the comment about, "when they don't do much anymore"
What did they do before that they don't do now?

From their website:
SkyWalker-1 is a standalone advanced USB 2.0 DVB-s card

Supported modulations:

DVB-S (QPSK)
Turbo-coded QPSK
Turbo-coded 8PSK
Turbo-coded 16QAM
Digicipher II Combo
Digicipher II Split (I/Q)
Digicipher II Offset QPSK
DSS (QPSK)

DVB-S2 standard is not supported (incompatible FEC)

256Ksps - 30Msps Symbol Rate

Minimum PC requirements

• Pentium III 1GHz (more powerful CPU and advanced graphics card are required for HDTV programming)
• Supported Operating System: Windows 2000, XP/2003™ (32-bit and 64-bit versions), and Vista/2008™ (32-bit and 64-bit versions).
• Sound card
• available USB 2.0 port
• CD-Rom (for Driver installation only)

Supported Software

• TSReader™ (evaluation version is available from COOL.STF web-site)
• DVB Dream (freeware, available from dbvdream.org web-site)
• MyTheatre (available from MyTheatre web-site)

Last edited:
I use mine all the time for FTA.

Don't follow the comment about, "when they don't do much anymore"
What did they do before that they don't do now?)

I was referring to the eye patcher's

Supported modulations:

DVB-S (QPSK)
Turbo-coded QPSK
Turbo-coded 8PSK
Turbo-coded 16QAM
Digicipher II Combo
Digicipher II Split (I/Q)
Digicipher II Offset QPSK
DSS (QPSK)

DVB-S2 standard is not supported (incompatible FEC)

256Ksps - 30Msps Symbol Rate

Minimum PC requirements

• Pentium III 1GHz (more powerful CPU and advanced graphics card are required for HDTV programming)
• Supported Operating System: Windows 2000, XP/2003™ (32-bit and 64-bit versions), and Vista/2008™ (32-bit and 64-bit versions).
• Sound card
• available USB 2.0 port
• CD-Rom (for Driver installation only)

Supported Software

• TSReader™ (evaluation version is available from COOL.STF web-site)
• DVB Dream (freeware, available from dbvdream.org web-site)
• MyTheatre (available from MyTheatre web-site)

Guess my real knowledge of the Genpix is showing:D

Thanks

I have been looking around for a Genpix Skywalker 1 just to play around with. They are not cheap. The least expensive one I have seen went for $110 on Ebay. I don't do Ebay but just wanted to get an ideal of the going price. Wonder why are these holding such a high value when they don't do much anymore.

I agree with guapoharry, I use my Skywalker more than any other receiver, except maybe my Twinhan. I don't know what you mean by they don't do much anymore.
The Skywalker will do more modes than any other receiver on the market. About the only thing it DOESN'T do is DVB-S2, but it does 3 or 4 modes that no consumer DVB-S2 receiver will do.

Anyway, I'm curious what you're referring to here?

EDIT: I guess I don't type fast enough. I see you responder to guapoharry.

Last edited:
It is correct, JAS that the eye-patch crowd could use Skywalkers for Turbo-coded encrypted content with hacker software on a PC. Guess this stopped mostly when Nagra3 was implemented.

Anyway, I use the Skywalker 1 for seeing stuff my blind scan box can't see like 4:2:2 and HD. Also, screen captures or video can be saved to disk.

Have you ever blind scanned a satellite and there is a transponder with sufficient S and Q, but no picture? For me it is convenient to look at that stuff on a PC.

With the right codecs and software most PC based satellite receivers can do this for DVB-S. As B.J. says, the Skywalker can see other stuff too. With the exception of S2 it stands out...

There are blind scan HD boxes like the Pansat 9200. But IIRC, it won't do 4:2:2 either.

No one product seems to do EVERYTHING...

Last edited:
The skywalker also has excellent voltage/current on the lnb output, it drives my motor Id say slightly faster then my fortec mercury II, it drives it faster then any other receiver/tuner I have, and Ive got 8 running at all times lol :)

Its also supported by tsreader which for me is a huge plus, I actually just bought my first usb tuner that wasnt supported by tsreader (prof 7500, going to use it in linux) tsreader support for me is a prerequisite

genpix has created an excellent product and he's shown very active in the FTA community, when bugs arrive he takes them very seriously and has been very prompt at getting them resolved, ie when new turbo-8psk fec's came out he was VERY fast in getting new firmware out.

I bought mine 3 or 4 years ago, cant rem, when they first came out. I think I paid over $300 for it, well worth it! other recievers have come and gone since then, but I keep using the skywalker :)

as a tip dont think turbo-8psk is only for the eye patchers, scan the tp's once in awhile you'll find channels gone unencrypted, they usually dont last long, but they do show up. Dont trust the PMT either, if you see any PIDS showing up using a high bitrate and their not in the PMT, try entering them manually apid/vpid/pcr

The skywalker also has excellent voltage/current on the lnb output, it drives my motor Id say slightly faster then my fortec mercury II, it drives it faster then any other receiver/tuner I have, and Ive got 8 running at all times lol :)

Its also supported by tsreader

Dont trust the PMT either, if you see any PIDS showing up using a high bitrate and their not in the PMT, try entering them manually apid/vpid/pcr

Interesting. I don't have the budget for a new one .:mad: I'll need to start looking harder for a used one.:)

Its also supported by tsreader which for me is a huge plus, I actually just bought my first usb tuner that wasnt supported by tsreader (prof 7500, going to use it in linux) tsreader support for me is a prerequisite

genpix has created an excellent product and he's shown very active in the FTA community, when bugs arrive he takes them very seriously and has been very prompt at getting them resolved, ie when new turbo-8psk fec's came out he was VERY fast in getting new firmware out.

I bought mine 3 or 4 years ago, cant rem, when they first came out. I think I paid over $300 for it, well worth it! other recievers have come and gone since then, but I keep using the skywalker :)

as a tip dont think turbo-8psk is only for the eye patchers, scan the tp's once in awhile you'll find channels gone unencrypted, they usually dont last long, but they do show up. Dont trust the PMT either, if you see any PIDS showing up using a high bitrate and their not in the PMT, try entering them manually apid/vpid/pcr

Mine cost me about $450, just before Genpix quite hand soldering them together. It's a peach, and Genpix supports it well. I couldn't agree more with your evaluation.
:)

I found a Skywalker-2 but will not pick it up until next week when I go to California.

Looking at the Gexpix web page it just an USB device that uses a Dummy board-edge connector works as an anchor and keeps it securely mounted inside the computer.

My computer is full and I want to mount it outside the computer. Has any one done this and is there a pre made cable which can be used for an outside mount i.e. a cable with a flat 5 pin connector on the end which connects to the Skywalker and a standard USB connector on the other end.

Thanks

I found a Skywalker-2 but will not pick it up until next week when I go to California.

Looking at the Gexpix web page it just an USB device that uses a Dummy board-edge connector works as an anchor and keeps it securely mounted inside the computer.

My computer is full and I want to mount it outside the computer. Has any one done this and is there a pre made cable which can be used for an outside mount i.e. a cable with a flat 5 pin connector on the end which connects to the Skywalker and a standard USB connector on the other end.

Thanks
Just get a skywalker-1. The skywalker 2 requires a free USB2 header on your mother board and a free molex connector on your power supply. It's for those who want to hide the card in the case. If you want to keep it outside the case you might as well go with a skywalker-1 and save your self some trouble. They do exactly the same thing.

From genpix's website
Code:
SkyWalker-2 is an advanced USB 2.0 internal DVB-s card.
It has a size of Low Profile PCI card, and can be placed in either PCI slot (3.3V or 5V version), or even PCIe x16 slot inside your computer.
It makes no electrical contact with PCI slot itself. Dummy board-edge connector works as an anchor and keeps SkyWalker-2 securely mounted inside your computer.

so I see no problem putting it outside, other then it doesnt have an enclosure. you dont need to use your PC's molex power, you can buy standalone molex power supplies, like included with the skywalker-1. Get a decent one, dont cheap out, they can use 750ma of current

the skywalker-2 as you know uses a usb header cable insted of a usb A/B, so keep that in mind, you'll either need to get an adapter (do they even exist?), make an adapter, or get a long header cable and run it from inside the computer to outside.

Just get a skywalker-1. The skywalker 2 requires a free USB2 header on your mother board and a free molex connector on your power supply. It's for those who want to hide the card in the case. If you want to keep it outside the case you might as well go with a skywalker-1 and save your self some trouble. They do exactly the same thing.

Thanks but I could not find a Skywalker-1 which fit my budget this one does. My mother board has 2 free USB2 headers. I'm not adverse to tinkering and my time is free (at lest for this kind of thing):)

From genpix's website
Code:
It makes no electrical contact with PCI slot itself.

so I see no problem putting it outside, other then it doesnt have an enclosure. you dont need to use your PC's molex power, you can buy standalone molex power supplies, like included with the skywalker-1. Get a decent one, dont cheap out, they can use 750ma of current

the skywalker-2 as you know uses a usb header cable insted of a usb A/B, so keep that in mind, you'll either need to get an adapter (do they even exist?), make an adapter, or get a long header cable and run it from inside the computer to outside.

Thanks updatelee. Question, If it makes no electrical contact with PCI slot itself does the power supply come from the 5-pin to 5-pin internal USB 2.0 cable :confused:

Never mind I figured it out. Duh!

Found this on the Genpix website

"If mounted outside the PC case, passive airflow is enough to cool SkyWalker-2 properly.

When mounted inside PC case, please make sure that SkyWalker-2 does not sit inside "heat-trap"".

Thanks for all the help.

Just had a look at his site, cool looking board. Any plans for him to add new version with S2 support?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)