Geosat Pro SL1 PLL, and my thoughts

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Phottoman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
I received my Geosat Pro SL1 PLL a week ago today and frankly I wasn't all that sure I would be able to post within the week that I promised I would, but here is what my thoughts are.

I FREAKING LOVE IT !!!

Oh, you meant you wanted more than that?

OK, here goes.

We have had some of the hottest weather on record here in North West Arizona, followed by several days of torrential rain, daytime highs between 113 and 118, and monsoon rains that have closed roads IN TOWN and washed out roads in the mountains, causing big transportation problems. So we have heat AND muggie all at the same time.

I just wasn't feeling like I wanted to go out and mess with a 1.2m dish, especially one that I knew nothing about, and didn't have all the parts, but I did give it my best, so here goes.

The dish I have had in the back yard for nearly a year now. It had resided on the roof of the FedEx distribution center. I drive by this building every day on my way to work, and have at times even had to stop when a FedEx truck was turning into or coming out of their yard, I mean it is ON the road I take to work. I receive packages from my supplier at least three times a month, sometimes more, so I am in there quite often picking up my packages, like I did last week when I received my winning package from Brian (again, thank you very much Brian).

On one of these trips in I asked about the dish on the roof, it was obvious there was no LNB on it, so I asked if they had plans for it. I was told no, they didn't want it, but it would be a while before they could give it to me, not until they had a reason to go up on the roof. About a week or so later I saw it was gone, so I stopped off just to see what happened, and they said it was "on the ground out back and I could take it with me." It came home that day.

However, the entire assembly to hold the LNB wasn't all there, the screws and the top piece of the collar were missing. I've mentioned it a few times but never made a big thing about it. There are pieces I am sure on their roof, but that's another story. I'm also still trying to get the NPRM they took this baby off of but that will have to wait for another day too.

I always figured that when I had time I would just slap something together and besides I have LOTS of "Plumbers Tape" laying around. It (the dish) looks like it's fiberglass, or plastic, and the back has ribs like some of the smaller dishes I have seen.

I found a pole to mount it on a few months ago, cemented that in, and finally mounted the dish about a month ago.

About the only receiver I have that I can take out to the dish is a CNX DUO, and we all know what a pain they are to blind scan anything, but you work with what ya got and that's what I did.

I jury rigged an LNB holder to the end of this thing and mounted an old LNB whose ancestry is totally unknown. The tag came off it a long timer ago, and I have tried over the last several months to try and locate and pull in SES 103. I finally managed it yesterday, and connected the coax to a multi switch to my OpenBox S9, and ran a blind scan, and what I found were 11 channels scanned in. Two of them were "NBC" (without any other notations) plus I was glad to finally see the beach in Huntington, north and south, and an occasional watchable channel that held little interest for me. The average S readings were around 50, some lower, few higher, and the Q was about the same, some dipping as low as 35, but they locked in, so I have tweaked as much as I can, or care too.

Today, after the rain faded away, and an hour after the last lightening bolt/thunder, and using walkie talkies between Phottoette and I (and I here-by nominate her for "SAINTHOOD") I tweaked this puppy as well as I could. The results were kind of disappointing, like I said, 11 channels scanned in.

OK, everything was locked down as tight as I could get it, without warping anything, and I changed the LNB to the new one I received last Thursday, the now famous SL1 PLL.

I did aother blind scan using the OpenBox S9 with nearly two year old FW (I really never saw the need to change it, I am happy with the way it works, and why fix something that ain't broke) and WHAMMY !!! 25 channels.

NBC East, Central, Mountain (I think) and West.
Huntington Beach North and South but with readings that are unbelievable, went from 60/55 to 90-95/85-95 S/Q.

And unbelievable HD !!

There are other channels, but I have misplaced my notes, but I will say this, I actually REALLY like this LNB.

And I think I'm going to have to order another one, so that I can get all I have lost off the 125 bird. I still have one more 1.2m dish, and if Saint Phottoette will just hang in there with that walkie talkie ....

Photto

Yep it definitely makes your jaw drop doesn't it. :)

Yeah, it does.

Were you one of these winners or was it the receiver you won? I recognize the name but don't remember what you won. Now wouldn't THAT be a combo, a Micro HD receiver and one of these LNBs.

And I tried my best to add humor to this, since it really has so little information about the LNB it'self.

Photto

(edit: I see it wasn't the LNB, but the receiver, good on you)

Nope didn't win anything here...;) I did buy a microHD and a SL1PLL. Now I did trade Brain a chaparral LNBF for one of his SL1PLL and then he sent me an extra as a gift. So now I have three of these babys. I did a review the other day on the first SL1PLL I ordered. I am hopefully though going to be able to do a better one tomorrow, if rain holds off.

Well, I think your more accustomed to rain there in NC that we are here in the Arizona desert. I don't mind the heat, it's when it rains, THAT'S when it's miserable here.

And it's been nothing BUT miserable here for the better part of two weeks.

Photto

Scott Greczkowski said:
Dang I would love to see a c/ku pll combo!

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Me too.

But I would rather see a flag and some words that say "Made in USA" :)

I installed a SL1 on a dish I use for shaw last night and got a better signal.

I would too but know if we ever saw one of those it would be an expensive lnb. :)

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yes, Scott, I was thinking that one of Brian's Super Customer Service Representatives could probably get you one for retail + shipping and handling + 20% + support (25%) from one of their commercial sources! Prepaid, of course, and delivery as previously stated, 2nd Quarter 2113, subject to suppliers and shipping delays..... But would your grandkids accept delivery?

k, u got me whupped, guess i will stick with my fss lnb.
:p

bandstacked are nice, i really dont understand why there are not more.

i really dont understand why there are not more.

Very few people buy the bandstacked LNBFs that some distributors have already brought to market...

We make informed investments in bringing products to market that people are buying or will be likely to buy. If we guess wrong and people don't buy, we lose money. If we lose too much money, we aren't here to sell products that people want to buy.... ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)