GEOSATpro HDVR3500 - New DVBS2 STB - Photos and Initial Testing

Status
Please reply by conversation.
My thoughts are that even if the XBMC is updated to the newer Kodi, it will only be a matter of time before it too is outdated. Once updates are no longer supplied for the receiver in a year or so, then the XBMC will be useless because it will not be able to be updated by the end user. Be nice if I am wrong about that, but I doubt it. Thinking on it though, I doubt this receiver has the hardware necessary to run Kodi, or at least, to decode full HD, especially the 256 mb ram, I would think it'd need at least 1 GB. Forget about the darn XBMC and IPTV and fix the sat part.

I sent my receiver back to the place I got it from last week. Sure glad I did after reading the rest of this thread and seeing what else transpired.
Never since getting into this hobby in the very early 80's have I ever had to return a receiver for it being plain worthless and for the advertising that was incorrect.
I will never again purchase another product from the one responsible for bringing it to market as I hold them directly responsible for this.
I highly doubt I am the only one who feels this way even though others may not be so bold to speak out.

I hear that there is a real quad core receiver coming out soon and it's not by the ones who brought you the false one here!

Reactions: . Raine
I will send you FedEx Label. From your descriptions the hardware is a suspect.

Thanks for the offer, but mine is working good now with the Glorystar option, XBMC, web browser and Internet app removed and a few tweaks. IMO, mind you, this is just my opinion, a Web Browser is way too high of expectations for this receiver and as I've stated before, my opinion is the same of XBMC on this unit. YouTube I didn't even try on my receiver, but I'd surmise the same for that. I could be wrong, it's just my opinion that, sure, all of this can work on this receiver, but I question how well. Things like a web browser or XBMC I like lightning fast, not waiting for long load times.

I do still have the lock up problem but in my case, it is an overheat problem and I can fix that. N6BY was spot on with his diagnosis with my receiver. I've kept track of it since Sunday when I got done taking things out and fixing the problems I had and Sunday/Monday were cool weather, no lock up. Tuesday and today it's blistering hot and it locked up, it's definitely heat related in my case.

Record still is messed up on a few sats, but I can live with that, I don't record much. As I said near the beginning of this thread, my interest in this receiver was the Sat side and not all the fluff really, [although Kodi would've been nice] and it is working good as just a sat receiver now for me. So thanks, but no thanks, I'm good.

Reactions: N6BY

Please quit trolling. Stargaze has legitimate gripes, he did buy the receiver and I would guess that he is 100% right when he says that others are not so bold to post issues.

Please be bold yourself and post what your experience is with this receiver....if you bought one. If you didn't buy one, you're trolling because you have nothing useful to share in regard to this receiver and just stop. There are members in this thread who have bought one and want help. You're not helping them in any way.

What he says about the quad core receiver is also true.

Reactions: N6BY
Please quit trolling. Stargaze has legitimate gripes, he did buy the receiver and I would guess that he is 100% right when he says that others are not so bold to post issues.

I would not even feed the trolls A Raine.
I noticed when they posted earlier in the thread they never added anything legitimate. I figure it is Eugene using another alias as this would not surprise me.

What he says about the quad core receiver is also true.

Yes that is a fact now and I have seen that the chip will be an Hi3796M V100 so this will be a real quad core receiver coming out soon and that is not a mistake!
I saw this for myself just today.

Reactions: . Raine
quit trolling, He retuned his box so once again where is his drama BASHER.
you have stated your troubles with the box and hopefully they will be fixed.
that is what is need not the Girls drama.

quit trolling, He retuned his box so once again where is his drama BASHER.
you have stated your troubles with the box and hopefully they will be fixed.
that is what is need not the Girls drama.
Everyone is entitled to vent, What is your units problem so we can learn from you, All I see is you in defense of a receiver like if you were the owner or main supplier of it and bashing a customer that has his legit grips about something that brought him hardship. I was considering in a purchase of one till I saw all the troubles many are having and I have not the time to work with and if I were to purchase one and get bashed by someone that goes by douche bag I wonder who is the troll.
You seems your are the devil in disguise.

I will never again purchase another product from the one responsible for bringing it to market as I hold them directly responsible for this.
I highly doubt I am the only one who feels this way even though others may not be so bold to speak out.

I'm willing to give it a year to see if the sat things get fixed before I form a negative impression of the importer. I see the plan is to fix things in the receiver in steps (instead of trying to fix the whole shebang at once) and in a year's time we'll know if there was follow through and of the non-IPTV fixes to make things right with this receiver or if this receiver will be buggy.

I bought it for the satellite side, not for the IPTV stuff because I have an Apple TV/iPod touch and Roku that can stream practically everything to my living room tv as compared to having to find out if the stream is even supported by the iptv/sat receiver before having to program it into the receiver.

Reactions: SatelliteAV
I disagree. I installed 1045 tuesday and blind scanned about 6 different satellites after the installation and it seemed to work as I expected. There was one blind scan that didn't but that was my fault - I forgot to take the LNB line from my spectrum analyzer back to the HDVR3500 to do the scan so the receiver had no LNB input and thus no blind scan results.

I do think the video resolution has been disabled. I noticed 2 news feeds didn't have video resolution listed, even after the info bar went away and I brought it back up that has shown in the past to be more accurate than the info bar upon first tuning a channel. I'll have to pay more attention to that today since I only caught the video resolution info bar problem on the last two video services I looked at before going to bed.
Blind Scan works for me also...

A few members and resellers have received samples of the new GEOSATpro HDVR3500 DVBS2 STB for testing. I received a unit to test and thought that we should start the thread with some product photos, features and our impressions. The suggested retail is $165.

View attachment 108095 View attachment 108097 View attachment 108098 View attachment 108102

The unit is a DVBS2 STB with IPTV and Linux Applications powered by a HiSilicon 3788M quad core ARM Cortex A7 @ 1.5GHz. Impressive 64GB internal flash memory. Front and rear USB, LAN and WiFi is standard. External 12Vdc/2A power supply. Single tuner with loop-through. HDMI and AV outputs with closed captioning overlay. The IR remote feels well balanced and sits well in my hand. I did notice that the remote needed to be aimed directly at the STB. Tons of buttons and I haven't started to explore them.

The satellite installation was simple and the menus feel familiar. The first screen has the user select the location and city for time zone. Next screen gave the option of selecting FTA or the Glorystar mode. North American satellite list is preloaded and are separated by C and KU bands. Supports 22KHz, DiSEqC 1.0/1.1/1.2 and USALS.

The scanning was accurate and blind scan was lightning FAST. Only 1:45 on for a full blind scan of 116.8W C-band! The tuner is sensitive and it found the same TPs and TV channels as the TBS 6983 card. As I surfed through the channel list, the SD deinterlace looked very good and pleasant to view with the 1080p output setting on a 42" monitor. The often problematic HD NBC channels played smooth without stutter. The channel banner shows a ton of information without having to go to the service information screen. The time display is in 24hr mode. Tested the closed captioning on a few channels when the CC indicator was displayed. As expected, Dolby audio is decoded onboard and plays through HDMI and AV L/R. I did not test the coaxial digital audio.

Was told that new firmware is about to be released, so I won't go into testing details until it is finalized. Overall, I like the look and feel of the unit and in reviewing the chipset specs, it has a lot of potential.

Next I will capture some screens...
Hopefully this unit will work out.Myself I just not interested in all the bells and whistles that comes with this unit.Through experience in the past I've learned,the more complicated the unit,or car,or what ever, the more chance something is gonna go wrong.I think what a lot of people would like to see,is a good basic unit,and one that has a built in motor actuator.Thirty years ago I had a receiver made in JAPAN that was made by "STS".Worked great everytime,when you sent it to a certain satellite,bingo,it took you right to it with out missing counts.Also when,and when the time comes for warrantee repair is there someone who will work on it,or will they just send you a new one.It seems these days everything is just a throw away.What I would really like to see is a combo recever,and actuator,in one case,that actually works right out of the box.Just like when you buy a TV or stereo receiver,plug it in and it works as advertised,period.I really don't want to TRY this firm where update,or that firm ware update.I think you guys understand and maybe agree.Can hardly wait to see how this unit works out.

My experience with this receiver has been few problems so far. And I've had great tech support both from SatelliteAV & many of you here on Satellite Guys forums. If you've chosen to use BETA firmwares, you have to realize there may be issues, that's unavoidable with any software. I see great potential with this receiver, and from my past experiences with products from SatelliteAV, I'm confident they will be able to get the annoyances fixed. With so many features there's bound to be something somewhere that doesn't want to behave properly. That's why it's important to report any issues with as much details as possible so they can get these issues fixed. On another note, I want to say "Thanks" to everyone's help & advice I have received!

One thing I noticed with mine is overheating while using XMBC & IPTV, and I have had lockups when using these 2 apps, but only if I choose the highest quality video, so adding a cooling fan, and possibly a better heatsink may be a way to fix this. Maybe even a rear fan like many DVD & Blu Ray players have. Don't know if the power supply can handle the extra load, but might be something to look into... I definitely think more ram would have made the apps perform better as well. I actually like OpenELEC or OSMC (I use them on a Raspberry Pi) better than XMBC or KODI...

I also agree with dropping the web browser, for me it was simply too slow to be of much use.

I would like to see the option of using a keyboard instead of the remote in the satellite settings to change/edit names, change/edit settings, add/remove satellites, add/remove transponders, add/remove channels, etc. That way the need for an external editor would be less necessary.

Would also like it to stay in the scan setting instead of exiting when it finishes scanning so I can continue to scan other satellites. A scan all selected satellites option would be nice too.

I know there was something else but I'm having one of those CRS moments LOL :confused:

Just a few opinions, ideas, and suggestions... :blah

Anyone see the new Apple TV today? Seems to me that nobody can beat the IP boxes so I'm starting to think the future of FTA is not going to be STB's but USB dongles and software on Apple TV type Devices.

Agree or disagree

Reactions: dsmith0429
Everyone is entitled to vent, What is your units problem so we can learn from you, All I see is you in defense of a receiver like if you were the owner or main supplier of it and bashing a customer that has his legit grips about something that brought him hardship. I was considering in a purchase of one till I saw all the troubles many are having and I have not the time to work with and if I were to purchase one and get bashed by someone that goes by douche bag I wonder who is the troll.
You seems your are the devil in disguise.

You are right in that people need to vent, But if venting is with no point other then to say that the box is a POS over and over. What was the point,
If buying this box brought hardship he did the right thing returning it and went with a longer running box that is more stable.
As troubles and problems are handled at fridge with updates, I would think the same is true for most company’s.
IN MY OPINION THIS BOX WAS NOT READY TO SHIP, IT IS AN WORK IN PROGRESS AND SLOW PROGRESS.
My trouble in this box is still there, since the first that diseqc does not work, So if you have multi dish setup. Buy another box ( microHD, amiko A3
or any amiko Manhattan or any EU satellite box as they are the most stable ).
The name reflects the other satellite forums that will allow bashing if done by the owner or " moderator " , But if a handle or nickname is the
best you can do i would guess that speaks for itself.

You are right in that people need to vent, But if venting is with no point other then to say that the box is a POS over and over. What was the point,
If buying this box brought hardship he did the right thing returning it and went with a longer running box that is more stable.
As troubles and problems are handled at fridge with updates, I would think the same is true for most company’s.
IN MY OPINION THIS BOX WAS NOT READY TO SHIP, IT IS AN WORK IN PROGRESS AND SLOW PROGRESS.
My trouble in this box is still there, since the first that diseqc does not work, So if you have multi dish setup. Buy another box ( microHD, amiko A3
The name reflects the other satellite forums that will allow bashing if done by the owner or " moderator " , But if a handle or nickname is the
Have you checked and made sure you diseqc switch isn't the problem? My receiver works with a motorized Ku band dish, 2 circular ku-band dishes, and a c-band dish on a 4 port diseqc switch... I had one to just stop working for no apparent reason a while back on another receiver (MicroHD) and kept thinking it was the box, but when I changed to diseqc switch everything was working again... just a thought... good luck.. my setup is c-band on port 1, the circular dishes on 2 & 3, motorized on 4

Ok guys you have made your respective points.
Just now down to beating a dead horse.
Let's keep the personal flaming out.
Let's keep it technical and firmware related. If Eugene gets it fixed great! If not not we can move on.
No sense in beating a dead horse and beating each other. :)

Ok guys you have made your respective points.
Just now down to beating a dead horse.
Let's keep the personal flaming out.
Let's keep it technical and firmware related. If Eugene gets it fixed great! If not not we can move on.
No sense in beating a dead horse and beating each other. :)
Well said KE4EST... flaming does nothing to help with the technical and firmware related issues... And I have faith that Eugene is working diligently to fix any issues that needs attention...

I use the same ini were ever I go, if you ask me who I am I tell you I ask you who you really are, I need not to hide behind a mask but you are using a alias just to on and bash others just come out and say your true name and grow a sack instead of having a bag. Running a single core processor with 256mb ram it might work for sat n like crap but never for anything else so I studies your box from the inside out and just like you its a fraud and I am glad I did not fall for the bait n switch, gene.

Even on fleebay you can get a
  • CPU: Amlogic S812-H Quad Core Cortex A9r4 Processor
  • GPU: Octa Core Mali-450 GPU
  • DDR3 2G RAM + 16G eMMC ROM
  • Android KitKat 4.4 - Kodi Fully Loaded.
for about 80% less than what your geocrap cost. it looks nice but so did a 77 pinto and they both are pieces of sh*t.

Good Luck all I wish you all the best with your new pet brick.

Mrdmd.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)

Latest posts