Status
Please reply by conversation.

RimaNTSS

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 9, 2013
Riga
HI All!
Last weekend I was going to pick-up one dish from local second-hand webpage. Went to see it, but found out that man is ready to get rid of more dishes. So I took 2 x "SMW OA 1400" and 2 x "SMW OA 1600".
I do not think you have them over the pond, so, just FYI :)
Nice dishes, very durable, have no mesh inside.
IMG_20150328_132059 (Large).jpg
IMG_20150328_172328 (Large) (2).jpg IMG_20150328_174801 (Large).jpg

And this is actually quiet strange antenna. It is offset, but has only 13* offset angle and LNB is still located between antenna and satellite. It has opening angle about 112*, which means that usual universal converter will not illuminate antenna properly. Better is to use original feedhorn (which I have) or LNB from PFA, those usually have illumination angle about 120*.
ScreenHunter_278 Apr. 15 20.44.jpg

I like the way the "wide oval" dish skews the whole dish. That one might work well for a multiple LNB setup.

I like the way the "wide oval" dish skews the whole dish. That one might work well for a multiple LNB setup.
This is toroidal dish (I believe) and it should receive (according to datasheet) in range of 26* with efficiency of 1m dish.
IMG_20150328_172328 a(Large).jpg

Reactions: spongella
Hi! Installed one of the toroidal dishes. 23,5*E in the middle and 0,8*W on the edge. Reception on all LNBs more or less like reception on separate 1m dishes. I am still on testings, so do not have lots of useful info.
IMG_20150711_140601 (Custom).jpg IMG_20150712_172604 (Custom).jpg

Do not have enough pipe-clamps ATM, when I have them will install 13 LNBs with Eastern one 45*E and most Western one 4*W. Also found out that antenna's surface washing does not give much, but if I rub surface by rubber eraser (expropriated one from kid) then surface becomes nicer (circled red). Need more erasers to finish all. :eeek I more and more like this antenna. :bday
IMG_20150724_111344 (Custom).jpg IMG_20150724_155257 (Custom).jpg IMG_20150724_155242 (Custom).jpg

Installed all LNBs, now waiting for good weather conditions to do some scans.
IMG_20150729_143909 (Custom).jpg IMG_20150729_143919 (Custom).jpg

Reactions: a33
Interesting and quite beautiful setup!

What I'm curious about now, is the best pointage of the LNB's.

I can see that you have them now more or less parallel to each other, all pointing at individual spots on the dish.
I would expect (but I may be wrong), that with the LNBs in a straight line (or better: in a straight plane), as you have them, best results would be achieved by pointing at the center of the dish (that is: the boresight-point at the center of the dish, the G-spot, of which you know all about o_O).
And with a (doubly) curved multifeed-holder, as in the link in post #7 above, that best results are achieved with outward pointage of the LNBs, as is seen in the picture there.

So I'm quite curious to your next tests with this dish, and to what seems to be the best pointage!

Greetz,
A33

Thanks a33 !
I've already removed antenna and the mast IMG_20150731_180115 (Large).jpg IMG_20150731_175635 (Large).jpg IMG_20150731_180843 (Large).jpg , but, before doing that took some picture from above ScreenHunter_419 Jul. 16 16.06.jpg . You can see that LNBs are not parallel to each other, and edgy LNBs are located at the same distance from dish as central LNBs. So, each LNB is looking to it's own, imaginary dish (I painted those dishes on another picture yellow and blue) screenhunter_248-mar-30-21-47-jpg.75434.jpg . On the same picture I made solid green line, basically that suppose to be "G-line", which connects all individual G-points of each imaginary dish. But I did not check location of this G-line on real dish. Maybe next time, when I decide to install dish, I will make more precise measurements and tunings.

Thanks a33 !
You can see that LNBs are not parallel to each other, and edgy LNBs are located at the same distance from dish as central LNBs. So, each LNB is looking to it's own, imaginary dish

So you do in fact use a "doubly curved" set-up:
And with a (doubly) curved multifeed-holder, as in the link in post #7 above, that best results are achieved with outward pointage of the LNBs, as is seen in the picture there.
Your first photos evidently fooled me :(.
Thanks for clearing this up!

Greetz,
A33

Hello All,

Apologies for the thread necromancy but I was wondering if this 12-14 LNB setup ended up working properly or not. I have the same dish (with its original parts, luckily) and it is working great with its 26° setup, but I'd give it a shot to extend that if it's feasible.

Dansky According to the manual, dish, as you say, works at equivalent of 1m dish within 26*. If you go behind the 26* limits, of course, reception will decrease. Ku signals in Europe are very strong, so I do not see big problem to go some 10* west and 10* east. Setup 45*E-4*W worked for me pretty well.
Could you show some pictures of your dish? Interesting to see..... there are not so many such a dishes around.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)