GEOSATpro HDVR3500 - New DVBS2 STB - Photos and Initial Testing

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I know. But that is what is claimed. And according to Satellite AV my experience is not reflecting many other people's experience. That is why there is 913 replies and 37,335 views on this thread at this moment . L.O.L ! But I guess I am going to post pics and stuff now. Now that the problem is Isolated to me and my box. I think the writing is on the wall with this one. Bottom line is this. It is an arm based unit. Dual Core ARM Cortex A7 @1.5GHz. It is running a CUSTOM version of Linux. There are so many version of Linux. But these are what I found for arm Canonical "ubuntu on arm" Debian" Fedora" Linaro" Maemo" MeeGo Movial" Thundersoft" ArchLinuxArm".
Also From Kodi :
1.3.2 Embedded systems (ARM/MIPS-based hardware)
Other than OpenGL ES 2.0 graphics support being a must it is very hard to generalize Kodi hardware requirements for Linux-based operating-system distributions on ARM or MIPS based embedded systems. This is partially due to most of the work in this area still being early/on-going in development. For most ARM and MIPS-based devices, hardware video decoding support will also be needed for most high-definition videos, (and possibly even some standard-definition videos). Some newer and faster high-end ARM/MIPS chipset can decode some high-definition video using software video decoding, but those encoded with the latest video codecs.
http://kodi.wiki/view/Supported_hardware#Embedded_systems_.28ARM.2FMIPS-based_hardware.29

I don't see why not make the current system open source. Or at least release a firmware update with fixes and an xbmc upgrade to kodi.

Well, the problem is right now that Eugene doesn't actually have the source code, so he can't make it open source at this time. He bought the HDVR3500s from the Chinese and has sold them in the US for profit, so the onus is on him to supply his US customers with source code, but he doesn't actually have it and if his Chinese supplier doesn't want to give it to him, he's not in a nice position.

Which is why I've been patient with him, knowing that he is a small business and not wanting to put him out of business by reporting license violations. I really don't know Eugene, so I don't know whether he has actually done anything at all to try and obtain the source or not, or just tells me he has, to placate me. I suspect the latter, as his response of "I am working on it" really tells me nothing and makes me believe that.

Where as, I contacted BusyBox and talked with Rob, etc, my Chinese supplier, SFC about the Linux kernel and certain libraries, talked to so and so and here, talk to them yourself, would make me believe differently.

Last edited:
Wait... Would the new add ons break an older xbmc? Am I hearing this right? Sounds like XBMC or this modded version of linux is to much for the stb.

The latest iterations of Kodi will not run on the HDVR3500. If they would, they would be on there right now. The XBMC that is on the box right now, as it's pretty plain to see, is stripped down and not very good. Also in violation of GPL, GPLv2.

I gotta go do something, so I'll be away from my computer for a bit.

Well, the problem is right now that Eugene doesn't actually have the source code, so he can't make it open source at this time. He bought the HDVR3500s from the Chinese and has sold them in the US for profit, so the onus is on him to supply his US customers with source code, but he doesn't actually have it and if his Chinese supplier doesn't want to give it to him, he's not a nice position.

Which is why I've been patient with him, knowing that he is a small business and not wanting to put him out of business by reporting license violations. I really don't know Eugene, so I don't know whether he has actually done anything at all to try and obtain the source or not, or just tells me he has, to placate me. I suspect the latter, as his response of "I am working on it" really tells me nothing and makes me believe that.

Where as, I contacted BusyBox and talked with Rob, etc, my Chinese supplier, SFC about the Linux kernel and certain libraries, talked to so and so and here, talk to them yourself, would make me believe differently.
O.K. Then I have a different position entirely then. I am all about small business survival. And think that maybe its time to put this to rest.
Maybe the best thing to do is Let Eugene Create a new box for the future. Learn from current mistakes and build on them. kudos for at least attempting to bring the best of two worlds, xbmc/ fta satellite together.
I still think it would be really cool to make an open source stb arm linux distro for geosat hardware going forward.

O.K. Then I have a different position entirely then. I am all about small business survival. And think that maybe its time to put this to rest.
Maybe the best thing to do is Let Eugene Create a new box for the future. Learn from current mistakes and build on them. kudos for at least attempting to bring the best of two worlds, xbmc/ fta satellite together.
I still think it would be really cool to make an open source stb arm linux distro for geosat hardware going forward.
Let's not quickly come to conclusions and give up :) we want to continue utilizing the hardware capacity and make step by steps growth. I aim to take full advantage of the hardware we are using.

I think it may actually be the HH90 motor that is dying, because now it doesn't want to work with my other receivers. It was facing at 121W, and when I reconnected the HDVR3500, turned the receiver on and it went to the center position and stopped.

And now it doesn't move at all, with USALS or DiSEqC 1.2, with any receiver. I had removed all the other DiSEqC switches and had connected only one port of the Invacom QPH-031.

I tried each port individually and no response from the motor, except circular would make it move about a degree or two and immediately returned back to center. Thinking it may be an internal power issue. because when it is connected the LNBF strength drops as well.

The LNBF seems to be fine when I manually rotate the dish Left or Right, it locks on to the satellites.

I was wondering if I would get any benefit from getting a HH120 motor instead of another HH90... will I possibly be able to see more satellites where I live (near Lake Okeechobee, FL) or I'm pretty much stuck within the range that the HH90 sees?

Also thought of getting a WaveFrontier Toroidal antenna, has anyone used one of these? Was curious how well they work.
OK, after several attempts to get my motor working again, I have given up. I've reset the receiver, re-loaded the firmware, re-loaded my last known working backup. I swapped the power supply, with the one from the MicroHD, which had the same specs, and all it will do is either go all the way East or all the way West and stop. Does not move at all with DiSEqC 1.2. It's an old Fortec Star model, and doesn't have any buttons or a way that I could find to reset at the motor itself, so I'm assuming the motor is basically dead. No problem with power to the LNBFs, I have 6 connected with an 8x1 DiSEqC 1.1 switch at the moment.

I'm wondering if this receiver can support 2 or more 8x1 switches, and do I use a 22K switch to switch between them, if only using 2, or can I use a DiSEqC 1.0 4x1 switch, and use port 1 & port 2 for each, with the possibility of adding another 8x1 in the future. If so, I'm assuming I'd choose the DiSEqC 1.0/1.1 mode, and set the ports accordingly. Of course I noticed it has A, B, C, D for DiSEqC 1.0 instead of 1, 2, 3, 4 like my DiSEqC 4x1 is labeled. Am I on the right track here?

Hey, Glover31, do a search on PrismCube. Really interesting, for Arm and they have the source code, tool chains, changelog, etc, freely available like a Linux receiver should. It looks like mainly European, but looking through the source, it probably could be made to work here. It seems to have a working Kodi/XBMC implementation in it too.

I don't really know anything about it, someone who knows I've been playing around with the HDVR3500 told me to check it out so I looked quick and then downloaded it to look at.

Hey, Glover31, do a search on PrismCube. Really interesting, for Arm and they have the source code, tool chains, changelog, etc, freely available like a Linux receiver should. It looks like mainly European, but looking through the source, it probably could be made to work here. It seems to have a working Kodi/XBMC implementation in it too.

I don't really know anything about it, someone who knows I've been playing around with the HDVR3500 told me to check it out so I looked quick and then downloaded it to look at.
Holy Smokes: LOOK
Main web page:
Source Code Repository made public: http://update.prismcube.com/
I wonder if this could run on the geosatpro hdvr3500

Specs for prisma :http://www.abcomeu.com/ab-ipbox-prismcube-ruby
CPU PNX8496-1250DMIPS
NAND Flash 4Gbit (512MBx8bit)
DRAM 4Gbit (4x128MBx8bit)
HDD 2.5? HDD Supported – Easy Mounting System

Specs For Geosat pro 3500
SK-H26 Hisilicon 3712 Linux VFD HD receiver
CPU quad core ARM Cortex A7 @ 1.5GHz
64GB internal flash memory- this is not the system memory. hmmm. Need more specs.

This prisma processor actually looks slower.
But if this source code was recompiled with a few new pictures to say GEOSATPR 3500 hdvr it would be a perfect firmware update.

I have a prismcube-ruby and the XBMC is from the start part of the GUI,
XBMC / linux is the over all OS for the system.
Thats is what I figured and also what I have been trying to make a point of. The GEOSATPRO hdvr3500 is using xbmc and firmware. Its being made to run full throttle so to speak from the way it performs. I don't see any reason why it should not use just xbmc. The prismcube / what ever u want to call it looks to be slightly less in specs than the geosatpro. And the source code is available. I hope satellite av is looking at this. Nothing like having firmware/os made for you. The only advantage I see in this prismcube is the fact it has an internal hard drive vs a sdhc card. Both models are still ahead of other stb's as you dont have to plug in a usb to record. I wish I knew how to hook up the geosat to my computer and then to write to it. I would be working on this just for fun. I have made my own custom debian / ubuntu spin offs and my own live distros so i would have them in the future. I haven't had an arm pc. I would think if one wanted to make an os for the geosat pro 3500 they would have to build it in a virtual machine or on similar arm archecture with an installed linux arm distro. Install xbmc. Make xbmc the default window manager install all the apps in terminal needed for drivers and such. Then uninstall xserver and desktop environments and place xbmc as the default windows manager and add xbmc to start up applications. I would be willing to think one could make the os under 100mb or even less. Just remove all the packages that are not relevant or will even be used. I would most definitely have terminal. Just in case an update breaks xbmc and needed fixed. In fact. With terminal, you could access that from within xbmc and run an update or fix when things go wrong by remote control. The open source linux world is really a blast sometimes. The only thing that has me scratching my head is how did they get the stb remote control to work without running firmware and only xbmc?

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Compile_Kodi_for_Linux

http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR

I don't see any reason why it should not use just xbmc.
Since XBMC is not our top priority, i am just asking some patience on hobbyists side. May I repeat, we would like to take full advantage of features and capabilities of this machine. When the receiver started development, the xbmc was in earlier stage, and we used what was available. since new versions are available, we will give it a shot.

Reactions: dougruss
Since XBMC is not our top priority, i am just asking some patience on hobbyists side. May I repeat, we would like to take full advantage of features and capabilities of this machine. When the receiver started development, the xbmc was in earlier stage, and we used what was available. since new versions are available, we will give it a shot.
That is your call to make. Good luck.
I will leave you with this however. I didn't buy this receiver for its fta capability only. I bought it because of XBMC. If I had been after a stb only. It would have been one of your prior models. I was actually getting serious about simply building a combo stb / media streamer / game console on the back of an up and coming open source windows clone known as REACTOS, and had bought an htpc case. I was in the process of deciding parts but then I got injured on the job and sprained my right ankle. a class 2 sprain. It took 3 weeks to get out of a chair and 3 months to rehabilitate to maybe 60 percent just to turn around and tear my acu and lcu in my left knee. Lost employment and after rehabilitating again. Lost my best friend in a house church CULT I didn't even know we were in till we were in the middle of it. Major hurt to my then family through religious persecution accusation and some weird stuff I care not to mention. Lost my wife to another man and finally divorced and lost everything but the clothes I was wearing and mix matched stuff in a pull behind. After a year I got a few things back. Bought a house on back taxes for cheap and slowly have been rebuilding my life. For the first time have serious debt from the lawyer trying to save my marriage. Among many things I am building up, re-buying, rebuilding, re thinking and doing again, the fta satellite end of things " although not at top priority". My first impression when I first got on the scene to fta was not good. I bought a Manhattan receiver that had been sent back 3 times and in the end became a paper weight. Second an openbox s9 hd followed by s10. Those were not so bad. A friend of mine I convinced to get into the hobby bought the micro hd. Now that was impressive. Good little box. But I was looking for more than a stb. At this time, the 3500 box will do iptv and fta. So fine. I am still needing to build up the rest of my satellite dishes and looking for parts. I hope a fix comes along later. If not I guess I just build one. Its is what it is. At this point I have no knowledge of accessing your stb firmware or where to start to play with it and see what it will run. Good luck to you and the future of your business. Look forward to hearing from you on other topics and buying other products from satellite av and titanium. Not sure who else I have bought from on here.
God Bless

Thats is what I figured and also what I have been trying to make a point of. The GEOSATPRO hdvr3500 is using xbmc and firmware. Its being made to run full throttle so to speak from the way it performs. I don't see any reason why it should not use just xbmc. The prismcube / what ever u want to call it looks to be slightly less in specs than the geosatpro. And the source code is available. I hope satellite av is looking at this. Nothing like having firmware/os made for you. The only advantage I see in this prismcube is the fact it has an internal hard drive vs a sdhc card. Both models are still ahead of other stb's as you dont have to plug in a usb to record. I wish I knew how to hook up the geosat to my computer and then to write to it. I would be working on this just for fun. I have made my own custom debian / ubuntu spin offs and my own live distros so i would have them in the future. I haven't had an arm pc. I would think if one wanted to make an os for the geosat pro 3500 they would have to build it in a virtual machine or on similar arm archecture with an installed linux arm distro. Install xbmc. Make xbmc the default window manager install all the apps in terminal needed for drivers and such. Then uninstall xserver and desktop environments and place xbmc as the default windows manager and add xbmc to start up applications. I would be willing to think one could make the os under 100mb or even less. Just remove all the packages that are not relevant or will even be used. I would most definitely have terminal. Just in case an update breaks xbmc and needed fixed. In fact. With terminal, you could access that from within xbmc and run an update or fix when things go wrong by remote control. The open source linux world is really a blast sometimes. The only thing that has me scratching my head is how did they get the stb remote control to work without running firmware and only xbmc?

http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Compile_Kodi_for_Linux

http://kodi.wiki/view/PVR

I haven't looked over the PrismCube good yet, but I think the HDVR3500 doesn't have enough ram for it. I am going to check into it more though, when I have time. I wish the HDVR3500 had more ram and processing power, that would be awesome.

If you wanted to mess around deeper with the HDVR3500 though, you can unpack the firmware and play around with it, make your changes, repack it and load it up. It's squashfs and unencrypted and should be open source, just like the PrismCube setup, so it's not illegal to do it. You don't have to 'hack' it. It's actually in violation of many copyrights and laws for this box to be sold as it is.

Screenshot from 2015-10-21 23:21:33.png

I was changing some more stuff I don't like in the receiver tonight, above is a screen-shot from one of my computers of the file-system within the firmware unpacked. The only @#$ch about it is though, that if you make a bad enough mistake in changing files, scripts, whatever, you could brick the box and the serial boot doesn't always work. Me though, I am a impatient person when it comes to waiting to have things done that I can do myself, so I'm willing too risk bricking it. I actually got it stuck in a boot loop for a bit last night loading a different Linux onto it, but it came out of it by itself after a while.

I haven't looked over the PrismCube good yet, but I think the HDVR3500 doesn't have enough ram for it. I am going to check into it more though, when I have time. I wish the HDVR3500 had more ram and processing power, that would be awesome.

If you wanted to mess around deeper with the HDVR3500 though, you can unpack the firmware and play around with it, make your changes, repack it and load it up. It's squashfs and unencrypted and should be open source, just like the PrismCube setup, so it's not illegal to do it. You don't have to 'hack' it. It's actually in violation of many copyrights and laws for this box to be sold as it is.

View attachment 111009

I was changing some more stuff I don't like in the receiver tonight, above is a screen-shot from one of my computers of the file-system within the firmware unpacked. The only @#$ch about it is though, that if you make a bad enough mistake in changing files, scripts, whatever, you could brick the box and the serial boot doesn't always work. Me though, I am a impatient person when it comes to waiting to have things done that I can do myself, so I'm willing too risk bricking it. I actually got it stuck in a boot loop for a bit last night loading a different Linux onto it, but it came out of it by itself after a while.
What receiver? I guess I am not sure which your telling me you have loaded Linux onto? What flavor of linux? That picture looks like unity.

That is your call to make. Good luck.
I will leave you with this however. I didn't buy this receiver for its fta capability only. I bought it because of XBMC. If I had been after a stb only. It would have been one of your prior models. I was actually getting serious about simply building a combo stb / media streamer / game console on the back of an up and coming open source windows clone known as REACTOS, and had bought an htpc case. I was in the process of deciding parts but then I got injured on the job and sprained my right ankle. a class 2 sprain. It took 3 weeks to get out of a chair and 3 months to rehabilitate to maybe 60 percent just to turn around and tear my acu and lcu in my left knee. Lost employment and after rehabilitating again. Lost my best friend in a house church CULT I didn't even know we were in till we were in the middle of it. Major hurt to my then family through religious persecution accusation and some weird stuff I care not to mention. Lost my wife to another man and finally divorced and lost everything but the clothes I was wearing and mix matched stuff in a pull behind. After a year I got a few things back. Bought a house on back taxes for cheap and slowly have been rebuilding my life. For the first time have serious debt from the lawyer trying to save my marriage. Among many things I am building up, re-buying, rebuilding, re thinking and doing again, the fta satellite end of things " although not at top priority". My first impression when I first got on the scene to fta was not good. I bought a Manhattan receiver that had been sent back 3 times and in the end became a paper weight. Second an openbox s9 hd followed by s10. Those were not so bad. A friend of mine I convinced to get into the hobby bought the micro hd. Now that was impressive. Good little box. But I was looking for more than a stb. At this time, the 3500 box will do iptv and fta. So fine. I am still needing to build up the rest of my satellite dishes and looking for parts. I hope a fix comes along later. If not I guess I just build one. Its is what it is. At this point I have no knowledge of accessing your stb firmware or where to start to play with it and see what it will run. Good luck to you and the future of your business. Look forward to hearing from you on other topics and buying other products from satellite av and titanium. Not sure who else I have bought from on here.
God Bless
I am hoping to bring updated kodi version very quickly, I just don't have eta, due to complexity. Will keep you posted.

What receiver? I guess I am not sure which your telling me you have loaded Linux onto? What flavor of linux? That picture looks like unity.

Sorry, the HDVR3500. Without getting into much details because it'd probably cause flack, Kali, with kernel 3.14. Not for the faint of heart at all to use and an arm cross-compilation environment is needed to custom build. But very good for testing security and the network stack setup is unique, very useful for diagnosing network problems and security issues.

The screen-shot is Ubuntu Unity as you thought, on one of my desktop computers. The open windows are the file system extracted from the firmware of the HDVR3500 because I was fixing a few things on the HDVR3500 last night. Many, Many things bugged/annoyed me about the HDVR3500, like the oscam garbage, the Glorystar stuff, the XBMC. I keep most of my computer systems here fairly secure and stuff like the oscam running continually on the 3500 annoyed me to no end, so I killed the process and removed it. I removed the Glorystar stuff and also the XBMC, other stuff I considered issues to me and I also fixed functional problems I was having with the receiver. Last night I just changed some menu backgrounds to ones that I like better. XBMC may go back onto it, albeit, not crippled, if the hardware can handle it. Probably not.

Sorry to say, but I can't get into details more and I'm going to pull a Brian as far as this thread is concerned and not post within it anymore. I and Eugene have butted heads rather hard last night and from this point on my posting here would just slow down any help for those who need it within this thread now. Those who can't fix the receiver themselves, like I have. Basically, I wanted to point out that you're not at the mercy of Satellite AV to fix the receiver, if you're a bit handy with Linux.

I really wish Eugene had been more on board with supplying the source code, but it's obvious to me now that Eugene doesn't care to address the open source issue. Eugene has jerked me around every time I have asked him for it. I wasn't asking for it because I personally needed it or wanted it, or as I stated before, on a whim. Rather, because he should be supplying it and there are people here that could help work on the HDVR3500 and make it better.

I also was very upset to buy this high priced receiver myself personally and then recognize a lot of code within it and see the hard work of many people taken and passed off as proprietary software. Especially when he claims all the long hours of work that he puts into it as justification for it, with no regards to other people's hard work. I already have had the original source for about three weeks now and if I can ask for it and get it, he should've been able to. Now he can deal directly with the other developers and affiliated agencies, not me.

I deeply apologize to everyone within this thread for any annoyances my posts and rants within it may have caused, but I really needed to see where SatAV stood on the issue of the open source software within their receiver.

Sorry, the HDVR3500. Without getting into much details because it'd probably cause flack, Kali, with kernel 3.14. Not for the faint of heart at all to use and an arm cross-compilation environment is needed to custom build. But very good for testing security and the network stack setup is unique, very useful for diagnosing network problems and security issues.

The screen-shot is Ubuntu Unity as you thought, on one of my desktop computers. The open windows are the file system extracted from the firmware of the HDVR3500 because I was fixing a few things on the HDVR3500 last night. Many, Many things bugged/annoyed me about the HDVR3500, like the oscam garbage, the Glorystar stuff, the XBMC. I keep most of my computer systems here fairly secure and stuff like the oscam running continually on the 3500 annoyed me to no end, so I killed the process and removed it. I removed the Glorystar stuff and also the XBMC, other stuff I considered issues to me and I also fixed functional problems I was having with the receiver. Last night I just changed some menu backgrounds to ones that I like better. XBMC may go back onto it, albeit, not crippled, if the hardware can handle it. Probably not.

Sorry to say, but I can't get into details more and I'm going to pull a Brian as far as this thread is concerned and not post within it anymore. I and Eugene have butted heads rather hard last night and from this point on my posting here would just slow down any help for those who need it within this thread now. Those who can't fix the receiver themselves, like I have. Basically, I wanted to point out that you're not at the mercy of Satellite AV to fix the receiver, if you're a bit handy with Linux.

I really wish Eugene had been more on board with supplying the source code, but it's obvious to me now that Eugene doesn't care to address the open source issue. Eugene has jerked me around every time I have asked him for it. I wasn't asking for it because I personally needed it or wanted it, or as I stated before, on a whim. Rather, because he should be supplying it and there are people here that could help work on the HDVR3500 and make it better.

I also was very upset to buy this high priced receiver myself personally and then recognize a lot of code within it and see the hard work of many people taken and passed off as proprietary software. Especially when he claims all the long hours of work that he puts into it as justification for it, with no regards to other people's hard work. I already have had the original source for about three weeks now and if I can ask for it and get it, he should've been able to. Now he can deal directly with the other developers and affiliated agencies, not me.

I deeply apologize to everyone within this thread for any annoyances my posts and rants within it may have caused, but I really needed to see where SatAV stood on the issue of the open source software within their receiver.
Andy, I would insist that there is no offense.
We work within the boundaries of hardware, software and market capacity. Many of the complaints and criticism comes from very unusual needs. For example, demand for source code can be categorized as unusual, wouldn't you agree? Sometimes I wonder if you ever requested a source code from Sony or Microsoft? You may have, I have no problem with it, I am just saying from pure market demand perspective, some of these requests have been unusual. So when an unusual request is made, I am not offended at all.

Our aim is to do our best possible development.

Andy, I would insist that there is no offense.
We work within the boundaries of hardware, software and market capacity. Many of the complaints and criticism comes from very unusual needs. For example, demand for source code can be categorized as unusual, wouldn't you agree? Sometimes I wonder if you ever requested a source code from Sony or Microsoft? You may have, I have no problem with it, I am just saying from pure market demand perspective, some of these requests have been unusual. So when an unusual request is made, I am not offended at all.

Our aim is to do our best possible development.

Sigh. Really? You can't just leave it as I stated above, "that we butted heads?" I was going to stay out of this thread and not even breach the subject of the latest "offense" because that was in a private message between you and me and if you wanted to address that more, private messaging would've been more appropriate. But fine, go ahead and poke me with a sharp stick and then post in here like you're mystified over why I got upset, when no one here within the open forum has any idea of what transpired. We'll go there, seeing as how you want to drag this out into the open forum away from our private messages.

What I believe to be the whole truth of the matter of the "offense" is that you saw that I'd raised my rating of the HDVR3500 on Amazon from one star to three and also edited it to be much more in your favor. You saw this and thought that you could push me into raising it even higher by implying something. As I told you in private message, my raising it to three stars was pretty generous, especially seeing as how the others reviews are horrible except one, which to me, that one looks bogus. It boggles my mind that you couldn't be gracious enough to accept my raising the review to three stars and instead of doing so, you try to push me into changing it more. I couldn't with any honesty give the HDVR3500 a higher rating, three stars is really a stretch due to the fact that most of the problems that I have had, I've fixed myself.

You called me and others blackmailers, that's offensive. If that wasn't your intent, then your message was very poorly worded. After I replied to it, you apologized. Guess what though, the damage was done and that was just the last straw for me. Post up your message and my reply to it if you want, so everyone can judge on it, I'm pretty sure what the general consensus would be. I haven't tried to extort anything out of you, I've only tried to convince you to abide by copyright laws, as you're obligated to do by law.

Unusual requests? No. I strongly and totally disagree on your opinion of my requests being unusual. When a company uses open source software in their product and then sells said product to consumers, they're obligated by law to supply the means for their customers to compile the open source software themselves, or request the means be made available and if the request is made, the supplier is obligated to comply by supplying the means to compile. Accompanying software also, in many cases. In your case, yes. I have requested just that of you, that you supply the means for end-users to compile the source code. Numerous times.The unusual aspect is on your end, not mine, unusual that you're trying to pass off open source software as your own proprietary code and are trying to totally disregard your obligations and the law.

Your stating that my requests are unusual is offensive in itself. You constantly state how many hours of work is done by you and your company on the HDVR3500, but then you give absolutely no credit or recognition at all to the huge amount of people who worked on the open source software within your receiver and the uncountable hours that they spent on it. That is offensive. There is open source software within your receiver that is intended to be freely accessible to everyone, that many people have worked countless hours on, that you are essentially claiming as your own proprietary software.

I once more officially ask that you supply the means for your end users to compile the open source software supplied within your receiver and all other software that has to be included with it by law, as specifically set forth within the terms of the GPL and GPLv2 Licenses and all others that may apply.

After you called me a blackmailer, I responded in turn by calling you a thief and stated I was done with you and now you will deal with the other developers and affiliates. This is now so, it is completely in their hands now.

Blackmail - I have asked you to provide the means for end-users to compile the open source software and any accompanying code that also must be provided that is used within your receiver, per GPL and GPLv2 licenses and other licenses that apply.

You have not.

Thief - You have taken open source software and sold it as proprietary software, with no regard for the laws binding it or the people who developed it, even after it was requested that you provide the means to compile said open source software.

As I stated before and once more in this post, I am done. I did not want to post in this forum again, but I believe that seeing as to how you want to "insist that there is no offense", I would make it clear to everyone where the offense is and what is going on, rather than just believe that I am the one who is the "bad guy"
In your receiver is open source software that I myself have personally worked on. I have requested that you abide by the GPL and GPLv2 licenses regarding this software, but you have not and also totally disregard the hard work others have done to make this software. Offensive in the extreme this is, as is your cavalier attitude toward it. On top of all of this, you call me a blackmailer for asking you to do what you should not even have to be asked to do.

And yes, requesting the means to compile source code from Microsoft or Sony is not unusual either. I could give you many examples where they will supply the means to compile source upon request and some examples where I have done so. Especially in the case of open source software. That would be a pointless exercise in futility on my part though. I would suggest rather that you go ask them yourself what their stand is on open source software and learn something.

While you're at it, after you're done talking with Microsoft and Sony, contact Linksys and Samsung and ask them about where they stand on BusyBox. The very same BusyBox that is in your receiver. They provided the means to compile from source, after they were sued by the SFC. Those are just two examples and there are many more, but you go look them up yourself, It's not my job to educate you on how to do yours the proper way.

Linksys, Samsung and others took the stance that you have now and they found out the hard way that they shouldn't have. Maybe you will be luckier and the SFC, BusyBox, or the multiple others, will do nothing, but I wouldn't bet on it. I myself, am done with dealing with you.

Sigh. Really? You can't just leave it as I stated above, "that we butted heads?" I was going to stay out of this thread and not even breach the subject of the latest "offense" because that was in a private message between you and me and if you wanted to address that more, private messaging would've been more appropriate. But fine, go ahead and poke me with a sharp stick and then post in here like you're mystified over why I got upset, when no one here within the open forum has any idea of what transpired. We'll go there, seeing as how you want to drag this out into the open forum away from our private messages.

What I believe to be the whole truth of the matter of the "offense" is that you saw that I'd raised my rating of the HDVR3500 on Amazon from one star to three and also edited it to be much more in your favor. You saw this and thought that you could push me into raising it even higher by implying something. As I told you in private message, my raising it to three stars was pretty generous, especially seeing as how the others reviews are horrible except one, which to me, that one looks bogus. It boggles my mind that you couldn't be gracious enough to accept my raising the review to three stars and instead of doing so, you try to push me into changing it more. I couldn't with any honesty give the HDVR3500 a higher rating, three stars is really a stretch due to the fact that most of the problems that I have had, I've fixed myself.

You called me and others blackmailers, that's offensive. If that wasn't your intent, then your message was very poorly worded. After I replied to it, you apologized. Guess what though, the damage was done and that was just the last straw for me. Post up your message and my reply to it if you want, so everyone can judge on it, I'm pretty sure what the general consensus would be. I haven't tried to extort anything out of you, I've only tried to convince you to abide by copyright laws, as you're obligated to do by law.

Unusual requests? No. I strongly and totally disagree on your opinion of my requests being unusual. When a company uses open source software in their product and then sells said product to consumers, they're obligated by law to supply the means for their customers to compile the open source software themselves, or request the means be made available and if the request is made, the supplier is obligated to comply by supplying the means to compile. Accompanying software also, in many cases. In your case, yes. I have requested just that of you, that you supply the means for end-users to compile the source code. Numerous times.The unusual aspect is on your end, not mine, unusual that you're trying to pass off open source software as your own proprietary code and are trying to totally disregard your obligations and the law.

Your stating that my requests are unusual is offensive in itself. You constantly state how many hours of work is done by you and your company on the HDVR3500, but then you give absolutely no credit or recognition at all to the huge amount of people who worked on the open source software within your receiver and the uncountable hours that they spent on it. That is offensive. There is open source software within your receiver that is intended to be freely accessible to everyone, that many people have worked countless hours on, that you are essentially claiming as your own proprietary software.

I once more officially ask that you supply the means for your end users to compile the open source software supplied within your receiver and all other software that has to be included with it by law, as specifically set forth within the terms of the GPL and GPLv2 Licenses and all others that may apply.

After you called me a blackmailer, I responded in turn by calling you a thief and stated I was done with you and now you will deal with the other developers and affiliates. This is now so, it is completely in their hands now.

Blackmail - I have asked you to provide the means for end-users to compile the open source software and any accompanying code that also must be provided that is used within your receiver, per GPL and GPLv2 licenses and other licenses that apply.

You have not.

Thief - You have taken open source software and sold it as proprietary software, with no regard for the laws binding it or the people who developed it, even after it was requested that you provide the means to compile said open source software.

As I stated before and once more in this post, I am done. I did not want to post in this forum again, but I believe that seeing as to how you want to "insist that there is no offense", I would make it clear to everyone where the offense is and what is going on, rather than just believe that I am the one who is the "bad guy"
In your receiver is open source software that I myself have personally worked on. I have requested that you abide by the GPL and GPLv2 licenses regarding this software, but you have not and also totally disregard the hard work others have done to make this software. Offensive in the extreme this is, as is your cavalier attitude toward it. On top of all of this, you call me a blackmailer for asking you to do what you should not even have to be asked to do.

And yes, requesting the means to compile source code from Microsoft or Sony is not unusual either. I could give you many examples where they will supply the means to compile source upon request and some examples where I have done so. Especially in the case of open source software. That would be a pointless exercise in futility on my part though. I would suggest rather that you go ask them yourself what their stand is on open source software and learn something.

While you're at it, after you're done talking with Microsoft and Sony, contact Linksys and Samsung and ask them about where they stand on BusyBox. The very same BusyBox that is in your receiver. They provided the means to compile from source, after they were sued by the SFC. Those are just two examples and there are many more, but you go look them up yourself, It's not my job to educate you on how to do yours the proper way.

Linksys, Samsung and others took the stance that you have now and they found out the hard way that they shouldn't have. Maybe you will be luckier and the SFC, BusyBox, or the multiple others, will do nothing, but I wouldn't bet on it. I myself, am done with dealing with you.
I got the message.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 8)

Latest posts