Getting DTV, who-what-why-old timer needs advice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sepen

Original poster
Dec 15, 2017
Henrietta, NY
Had DTV for almost 20 years, then went to Dish. Dish is now gone after 2 years, could not stand picture quality and want to get DTV through Costco.

I want to have 3 rooms setup, 2 of which are wired, can the 3rd be wireless? Can they be connected by

Ethernet cables or still using RG6?

I also wish to have 4k, as 2 of the tvs are 4k.

I have SlingTv and DTV Now. I could live with it but the wife misses the ease of use and locals.

What should I expect as far as equipment choice, if any? What should I ask for?

Out of the loop, could use some advice and hints etc.

Any and all help are appreciated. I would like to call this weekend to order. Thanks.

Ask for an HS17, Genie 2. They will put that in another room as it's a server and doesnt / cant connect to the TV. You should ask for 2 C61K's for the two 4k sets to go along with the genie2. The 4K sets will have to be wired. And then you can throw in a wireless for the 3rd.

Reactions: TermiNader
Ok, 3 TV's, 2 4K.

You should expect to get a Genie HR54 OR a HS17 (newest set up) ...
The HS17 can ONLY use Clients, yes a wireless is a possibility, but I don't believe that they have a wireless 4k client yet.

If you get the HR54, you have options as to getting other HD DVRs, HR24s usually, or to go with clients.

You are the optimal person for getting the new HS17 as you have no receint experience with the other older recvrs, so clients for you may be fine.

Are the two 4K TVs in the wired rooms? As already pointed out there is no way to get 4K wirelessly. If they are, you can put the HS17 and one of the C61K clients in one room with a two way splitter, the other C61K in the room with the other 4K TV and the wireless client in the other room.

:welcome to Satelliteguys Sepen!

With two 4k tvs, you definitely want the HS17, or Genie 2 as it's also known. As mentioned, you will need C61K clients for the 4K tvs connected by RG6 cable. They can't be wireless though.

FYI, the HR54 Genie only allows for one 4k stream, the HS17 Genie 2 does two.

As far as I know, the HS17 is still not available for new customers

As far as I know, the HS17 is still not available for new customers
Well that's stupid. With 4k becoming more desirable and the decline in the customer base, you would think Directv would want new customers.

Well that's stupid. With 4k becoming more desirable and the decline in the customer base, you would think Directv would want new customers.
4k is more desirable as of late, however, D* still only has 3 channels while all other providers have None, so its not THAT big of a deal yet ....

All others is done over the internet, so That has nothing to do with D*.

I didn't mean to imply there is much if anything out there to actually watch in 4k from Directv, just that 4k sets are becoming commonplace. Hopefully more programming will come soon.

I didn't mean to imply there is much if anything out there to actually watch in 4k from Directv, just that 4k sets are becoming commonplace. Hopefully more programming will come soon.
We can hope so, either the TV or the programming had to advance before the other would .... now it' actually difficult to find a Non 4k set ....
That said there are a lot of grades of 4k sets ....
Meaning not all 4k are created equal.

This is just like 15 years ago when HD was launched. We only had 2 channels back then also.

I think Dish had a demo channel, HBO and showtime.

Before it was a split between SD and HD televisions.

In a few years when SD completely goes away your going to see more and more 4k content with networks like ESPN running a 4K version of their HD channel.

In another 10-15 years everything will be 4K

Scheduled for Tuesday install. Said I couldn't have the HS17, going to only install for two tvs now, a HR54 and the C61K.

Will let everyone know about the install, from Costco deal. Thank again.

Scheduled for Tuesday install. Said I couldn't have the HS17, going to only install for two tvs now, a HR54 and the C61K.

Will let everyone know about the install, from Costco deal. Thank again.
Don't feel bad, HS17s go to only existing subs so far.

The HR54 is a good unit, you'll be fine.

They did the install today, it was a Direct person who does installs for DTV.

Was here 4 hours, only got two boxes installed. May just call back and get the 3rd 4k set done, if that even works. He only installed one

client, said it was not needed for the non 4k tv although I told him that I would be purchasing a new one soon. Said to call back when I did??

My Hisense 65HC8 in the bedroom plays ATV 4k and Roku 4k (Netflix-Amazon) no problem on HDMI 3 or 4. The client would not

hook up at 4k. Was either a black screen-snowy or flashing, he change boxes, changed cables, talked to his end 3 times, nothing would

work.

So I haven't a clue. Everything works fine, except no 4k, and no client hookup on the non 4k set. He was a nice guy though.

They did the install today, it was a Direct person who does installs for DTV.

Was here 4 hours, only got two boxes installed. May just call back and get the 3rd 4k set done, if that even works. He only installed one

client, said it was not needed for the non 4k tv although I told him that I would be purchasing a new one soon. Said to call back when I did??

My Hisense 65HC8 in the bedroom plays ATV 4k and Roku 4k (Netflix-Amazon) no problem on HDMI 3 or 4. The client would not

hook up at 4k. Was either a black screen-snowy or flashing, he change boxes, changed cables, talked to his end 3 times, nothing would

work.

So I haven't a clue. Everything works fine, except no 4k, and no client hookup on the non 4k set. He was a nice guy though.
Sounds like you have the Hisense 4k TV and 1 other one ?
If so, the main recvr (HR54) needs to go on the non 4k TV and the 4k client on the Hisense ...
Make sure that you have the 4k client, if not, you won't get 4k on it.

Yes, that is the way it is run. To be honest< I am not floored with the picture quality. DTV Now looked sharper, much nicer.

Sounds like you have the Hisense 4k TV and 1 other one ?
If so, the main recvr (HR54) needs to go on the non 4k TV and the 4k client on the Hisense ...
Make sure that you have the 4k client, if not, you won't get 4k on it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)