Getting the $5/month discount by connecting DVR to Ethernet

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rihallix

Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
California
Dish network offers a $5/month discount if I connect my VIP 722 DVR to the phoneline or the Internet. Does anyone know how often or when this needs to be connected to qualify for the discount?

I have no phone or ethernet socket near my DVR. I do have a wireless gaming adapter being used elsewhere (Vonage) that I could install for short periods so the DVR connects - do you think if I connect it once a month for a few hours this might qualify?

Rihallix
(I'd buy another gaming adapter but they cost over $50 so would take months to offset the cost).

It's not a discount. It's an additional $5 fee for not being connected. The first dual tuner receiver is exempted for DVR Advantage subscribers. A wireless game adapter will work The receiver also has a built-in homeplug adapter so you could use another homeplug at the router to connect it. Unless you plan on dumping E* service soon, you will eventually be dollars ahead by connecting the receiver. Here's a game adapter for $46:

Linksys Instant Wireless WGA54G Wireless-G Game Adapter - Refurbished - WGA54G-RM - Buy.com

As to when or how often it needs to be connected, I don't know. Mine seems to call in every night.

Dish network offers a $5/month discount if I connect my VIP 722 DVR to the phoneline or the Internet. Does anyone know how often or when this needs to be connected to qualify for the discount?

I have no phone or ethernet socket near my DVR. I do have a wireless gaming adapter being used elsewhere (Vonage) that I could install for short periods so the DVR connects - do you think if I connect it once a month for a few hours this might qualify?

Rihallix
(I'd buy another gaming adapter but they cost over $50 so would take months to offset the cost).

You can "force" a call out by hooking up your adapter once a month: on your remote, hit "menu", "6", "3", "call out". I do this once a month (about the 15th thru the 20th), you should get a message "receiver updated" or something like that, I don't remember the exact wording. If your receiver isn't due for the update you'll get a message like "no update necessary"; I had to check my receiver (622) about once a week until I determined when I'd need to do the monthly update, found that around the 15th of each month was the time for me. I don't have a phone jack convenient to the 622 so this is how I keep from getting the $5 charge. The nightly update is for the program guide, this comes in thru the sat dish, not the phone/wireless connection. One of these "days" I'll get a more permanent fix for the phone line but this works for me now, just hooking up a phone cord once a month. Yeah, also when money isn't so tight:D

StanUbankit - this is precisely the answer I was after! Thanks so much.

I can hang a long phone cord across the house once a month - don't want to spend $50 if I don't have to (10 months to breakeven!).

Rihallix

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts