Getting the $5/month discount by connecting DVR to Ethernet

rihallix

Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
California
Dish network offers a $5/month discount if I connect my VIP 722 DVR to the phoneline or the Internet. Does anyone know how often or when this needs to be connected to qualify for the discount?

I have no phone or ethernet socket near my DVR. I do have a wireless gaming adapter being used elsewhere (Vonage) that I could install for short periods so the DVR connects - do you think if I connect it once a month for a few hours this might qualify?

Rihallix
(I'd buy another gaming adapter but they cost over $50 so would take months to offset the cost).

It's not a discount. It's an additional $5 fee for not being connected. The first dual tuner receiver is exempted for DVR Advantage subscribers. A wireless game adapter will work The receiver also has a built-in homeplug adapter so you could use another homeplug at the router to connect it. Unless you plan on dumping E* service soon, you will eventually be dollars ahead by connecting the receiver. Here's a game adapter for $46:

Linksys Instant Wireless WGA54G Wireless-G Game Adapter - Refurbished - WGA54G-RM - Buy.com

As to when or how often it needs to be connected, I don't know. Mine seems to call in every night.

Dish network offers a $5/month discount if I connect my VIP 722 DVR to the phoneline or the Internet. Does anyone know how often or when this needs to be connected to qualify for the discount?

I have no phone or ethernet socket near my DVR. I do have a wireless gaming adapter being used elsewhere (Vonage) that I could install for short periods so the DVR connects - do you think if I connect it once a month for a few hours this might qualify?

Rihallix
(I'd buy another gaming adapter but they cost over $50 so would take months to offset the cost).

You can "force" a call out by hooking up your adapter once a month: on your remote, hit "menu", "6", "3", "call out". I do this once a month (about the 15th thru the 20th), you should get a message "receiver updated" or something like that, I don't remember the exact wording. If your receiver isn't due for the update you'll get a message like "no update necessary"; I had to check my receiver (622) about once a week until I determined when I'd need to do the monthly update, found that around the 15th of each month was the time for me. I don't have a phone jack convenient to the 622 so this is how I keep from getting the $5 charge. The nightly update is for the program guide, this comes in thru the sat dish, not the phone/wireless connection. One of these "days" I'll get a more permanent fix for the phone line but this works for me now, just hooking up a phone cord once a month. Yeah, also when money isn't so tight:D

StanUbankit - this is precisely the answer I was after! Thanks so much.

I can hang a long phone cord across the house once a month - don't want to spend $50 if I don't have to (10 months to breakeven!).

Rihallix

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)