GI 650i

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rwaite

Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
I have a user manual for this equipment but need help programming it.
Can anyone help? I am trying to add a satellite but confused on how it works. I think it is outdated technology but I should somehow be able to do a workaround. I'm not real up to speed on satellites but do have some experience.

The 650 and 550 menu basically the same, esp for sat setup. Menu+6, 3 Install satellite. Each item is numbered from then on> Push 5 to move the dish east or west, (gotta have your motor hooked up) . You can move a little, change channels with the ch UP or CH down buttons, once you hit a signal>Push 1 to add sat name, using up or down arrows to scroll thru the letters and numbers. Once named, you can push 7>Autopeek. That will automatically zero in on the polarity skew and sat motor position to fine tune, its cool. After that, push Enter to save !
I have one of each, and they are nice analog receivers.

I was given a 650 yesterday but I didn't think to ask about a remote. I hooked up my C band input and TV and got some channels.
Should there be any front-panel or on-screen display showing without a remote?

About all you can do without the remote is channel up/down, and satellite motor east or west. Without a remote you won't be able to reset/store the satellite positions. The good news is, some of the universal remotes will
operate the receiver. Skyvision or some of the 'replacement remote' websites
may still have them. I sold my spare or I would offer you one.
To further answer your question though, I don't think anything shows up on the screen, if you hit the sat left or right button on the front, it should scroll the list of satellites stored in it. If you have a motor connected to it though, it will take off to whatever position is stored in it, for whatever sat you choose, which may run your dish anyplace!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I hooked up the motor and the dish moves, but I can't tell where to. Nothing shows on the front-panel except a few indicators on the right edge. Should it at least show a channel number?

Mine will flash a channel number, yep , but it may depend on if it was set to do that or not (with the remote).
If the system came to you from close by, the motor positions might be ok, but you need the remote to get the full use of the box, it does stereo analog sound, etc and has lots of tweaks and options avail.
One way to do the motor though, set the box to a known satellite, then have help to go outside, loosen bracket on motor arm and slowly slide the motor tube in or out until it actually hits that satellite. Having the rec/tv outside would help of course! And be warned-the dishes are heavy and if you loosen the bracket bolts too much, the sucker will slide thru your hands so fast the dish will slide as far as the motor arm will let it. Dont get hurt.
If you accomplish hitting the right bird, and locking motor down, then the other sat positions should be right, or pretty close.
edit to add:
Here's a link to a replacement remote , but you can find another recv cheaper than skyvision:C-band and 4DTV Satellite TV Systems, MPEG-2 and DISH Network at Skyvision
They only want 90bucks for it lol

Last edited:
ok heres the problem as already mentioned you need a remote . the replacements can be expensive. but what i would do is... right now go over to ebay and buy that 450i for $5 + 30 s&h it has two remotes then you can turn around and sell / get rid of the 450i and make your money back. the cost of shipping is high though and finding someone that wants a 450i is low. but it gains you a remote.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.