Status
Please reply by conversation.

kb2kir

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Norwich, NY
Hi,
Just took a voltage measurement of the battery in my '410.
It reads 3.198 v. Is this good for a while yet, or does this measurement indicate
a failure in the foreseeable future ?

Over 3 volts is good, the only thing with lithium batteries is they fall off fast when going bad so it can depend on how much the unit was plugged in and it's age not only voltage. Under normal conditions the battery should last 10 years.

it's not worth the risk, even though I'm not using it, I wouldn't want to see it go dumb...
I'll FAQ the procedure and get crackin....
thanks,

I agree with tvro pro

them lithium batteries can drop voltage quicker than rechargeable batteries ;)

Sorry for the double post, It looked like the first one didn't take, so I tried a second time...

The button cells in a 410 and 905 are like a computer battery except they have solider tabs. The 920's and 922 use a regular axial lead type battery style. 410's are plentiful and can be got for next to nothing on Ebay and in Canada I hear. If it dies its easier and cheaper to replace than a 4DTV.

The button cells in a 410 and 905 are like a computer battery except they have solider tabs. The 920's and 922 use a regular axial lead type battery style. 410's are plentiful and can be got for next to nothing on Ebay and in Canada I hear. If it dies its easier and cheaper to replace than a 4DTV.

Sorry to revive an "old" thread, but..with helping to install about (3) DSR-410 systems in my area, (with the revival of interest in W-5) I had not seen a particular battery "number" posted for replacing in a 410 receiver. Is ANY tab-mounting lithium (solderable) button cell in the 3 to 4 volt range okay to use? Sure seems they didn't want us opening up the cases to do this, but....necessity says, "keep people happy" when installing, don't gamble on an old battery.

Merry Christmas, all!

I sure didn't want to gamble on an old cell battery either for my 410. There is ample room in the 410 case for a surface mount battery of AA size separate from the mainboard.
A very thin cutoff wheel & Dremel tool cuts a good screwdriver slot in the tamper proof cover screws. Replace with the metric hardware of your choice.
Solder wick for removing the coin cell is a must & far easier if you remove the mainboard from the chassis. The tuner cans are convenient lifting handles after removing hardware.
I found single AA holders & Tadirans AA size 3.6 volt batteries at Radio Shack, then used some surface mount pad to attach the holder to the chassis. It's a temp fix but relieves doubt.
alliedelec.com has 3.6 volt Tadirans batteries with permanently attached leads for soldering: AA size TL-5242W with flexible leads & velcro pads; AA size TL-5104/PBP with solid wire leads; 1/2AA size TL-5101P with solid leads. These are all about $6-7 each.

Just be sure to ground yourself against static before removing & installing the mainboard.:)

Edit: For those that didn't know, ALWAYS connect the new battery in place before removing the old one. You'll lose the UA identity & brick your 410.

Attachments

• Motorola DSR410 Menu 039.jpg
    Motorola DSR410 Menu 039.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Motorola DSR410 Menu 032.jpg
    Motorola DSR410 Menu 032.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
If you had to compare the below batteries, which brand is the better one for the below use or does it matter.

Saft LS14500C "AA" 3.6V/2700mAh Lithium Backup Battery

Tadiran TL-5903/S Lithium, AA, 2.4Ah, 3.6V, Standard Pressure Tabs, Bulk

To be used to replace the battery in the DSR922 with the single battery holder although the initial post is about the Dsr410.

Thanks,

Candid

Either one is suitable. The original battery in the DSR-922 is 2/3 A size which is approx. 2100 mAh.
Found another one at alliedelec.com: Eagle Picher PT-2100-A with axial solid leads for soldering, Allied # 710-8002, $5.82 each.

Be sure to check the voltage while performing the replacement to see how much it drops with the new & old in parallel. An old battery can really cause the reserve charge to drop quickly, so remove the old one immediately when the new is soldered in place( and in the holder of course).

There's a link here somewhere to Alan's site with videos on replacing DSR-920 & 922 batteries.

Last edited:
Either one is suitable. The original battery in the DSR-922 is 2/3 A size which is approx. 2100 mAh.
Found another one at alliedelec.com: Eagle Picher PT-2100-A with axial solid leads for soldering, Allied # 710-8002, $5.82 each.

Be sure to check the voltage while performing the replacement to see how much it drops with the new & old in parallel. An old battery can really cause the reserve charge to drop quickly, so remove the old one immediately when the new is soldered in place( and in the holder of course).

There's a link here somewhere to Alan's site with videos on replacing DSR-920 & 922 batteries.

I have a link to Alans site here:

4DTV Online 4DTV TechSpot

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)