GI DSR 922 module options??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

esteveW

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
Western WA
I keep reading about the the DSR 920 and DSR 922. I'm currently focused on the 922 which offers both Vidiocipher 11/RS and Digiciphor 11 modules. What are the difference and benefits of these??:confused:

Also. I have read about the potential that the batteries in these could be dread or near the end of their life. How could I verify this by emailing this withe seller?? Is there a indication on the display or will the unit be completely dead?? :confused:I have read the procedure for changing batteries and I can deal with that but want to make sure it's not already too late.

Thanks,

Steve

First off don't worry about the Videocipher II its a dead issue since no subs can be had on it. Focusing on the 922 is the best bet. If you could get the unit ID # from the seller you could call NPS and see if the ID is good. Usually when there bad there are a bunch of "0" zero's in the ID. Changing the batteries aren't that hard if your good at electronics. If your shy you can always send it to ATS to have it changed.

Unit IDs are in the 4DTV's Service Menu
Ask the seller to:
connect receiver to a TV
Power Up, wait for Warm Up to finish, 3-4 minutes
Using the remote press:
Options, then 6, then 5

Have them email you the top 2 lines, those are the IDs numbers you need to confirm with callnps.com

Thank (both of you) for the very helpful replies.

I did a lot of 'cut&paste' from both replies and sent an email to the seller. All he states in his ad is: "THIS IS A USED UNIT THAT IS IN EXCELENT CONDITION ... ".

Hoping for the best!

Steve

DSR 905 Batt.??

Does the DSR 905 have the same potential Battery problem/caution as the 920/922??

Any other warnings about the 905 unit??

Steve

Does the DSR 905 have the same potential Battery problem/caution as the 920/922??

Any other warnings about the 905 unit??

Steve

The 905 is like the 922 without analog and the mover. Most Motorola DSR 922 and 905 are new enough to not be in a super hurry about the batteries. The older GI 922's are just starting to get to that point.

Ahh! I think I'm beginning to understand !! That is why the 905 is referred to as a "SideCar". It was intended as an addition to a Stand-Alone analog system and didn't dupicate the features of these older boxes.

The seller, indicates he integrated two systems and now that all makes sense.

BTW. He is offering his BUD (for pickup) to the winner of this action. It may be for free if the winner can't pick it up. I ask him for details and I will share since it would be a 1200 mile round trip.

Steve

Yes the Sidecar is a stand alone DC-II receiver/decoder that interfaces with your analog receiver. Some, duh :what people couldn't figure out how to use them so they were the first to go. A sidecar is a great toy if you have a brain and know how to use multiple receivers. Anyone who uses a DVB receiver and an analog receiver should have no problem. But some can't even use a remote :eek: Like to see them hook up a DSR 4800 commercial receiver and program it.:yikes

Learning something new every day of the FTA box search. I just found the DSR 905 (side car) manual and read them with interest. There is a very good manual on the actual hookup of the 905 to the analog box. Seem straight forward. It was at this point that I realized the 905 doesn't have a dish actuator control and that is left to the analog box, while the polarizor control is in the 905 and explains in some detail this connection puzzle.
I'm beginning to lean more towards the 905. Intially it appears more complicated but I'm a "Tinkerer" and will eventually learn more this route.

Steve

Yes the Sidecar is a stand alone DC-II receiver/decoder that interfaces with your analog receiver. Some, duh :what people couldn't figure out how to use them so they were the first to go. A sidecar is a great toy if you have a brain and know how to use multiple receivers. Anyone who uses a DVB receiver and an analog receiver should have no problem. But some can't even use a remote :eek: Like to see them hook up a DSR 4800 commercial receiver and program it.:yikes

Admittedly it is a few steps when what you want is on a different satellite but with the price the 922s are going for, I can push a few buttons and be quite content with my 905. That and for me, a dedicated Satellite Guy, the more "technical" it is, the more fun it is. Takes me back to my early C-Band days when I searched for everything and memorized all the satellites etc.
If everything you want is on one satellite, it works just like a Dishnet or DirectTv box.

Edit: Except for the fact that you have to park your dish on G1 every day or two for the guide info. to load. Although you could program your analog box to do that if it's programmable and I know the 905 is capable............or at least I think it is.

Running a 905 is simple. The best bet is to let your analog receiver control the polarity like most do with DVB slaved. Sometimes the 905 polarity gets confused with your analog control and you end up on the wrong polarity, this avoids it.

I was wondering about the confusion or conflict with the 905 controlling the polarity while the analog box controlling the motor/actuator. Seems logical to have it all in one memory. And since the 905 can control the motor/actuator that leave the 'ole' analog box.

Steve

However, I notice on page 19 of the 906 inter connection manual, there is an interconnection between the polarizer terminals of both the 905 and the analog box. Is either box "smart" to keep track of that the other has done, with regards to polarizer servo??

Steve

If you still are considering the DSR920, ask the seller for the S/N. The 7th digit of the serial number is supposed to represent the year the unit was manufactured.

Even if you are good at electronics, I would suggest using ATS to replace the battery. It is my understanding that the batteries can explode if not handled properly when removing from the unit or soldering a new one next to the old one. I had emailed ATS about battery replacement for a DSR922 and was told cost would be around $58.00 labor, $11.50 or so for the battery itself, plus shipping the unit back home.

The 920's are decent 4dtv's. I have one of those as well and just starting to learn what it can do. It doesn't have the module in it, but who cares! The 920 can still pick up analog signals plus all those digitals. It's quite a compliment to the FTA receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)