Glad to have my 4DTV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

tvropro

On Vacation
Original poster
Mar 9, 2007
My DirecTV receiver died yesterday after 9 months. Even though Direct is replacing it free of charge it tells me something about the quality and longevity of these pizza boxes. I told the Direct rep that I will watch my big dish subs while Direct is down :D 4DTV's are built like a tank, long live C band. :)

Last edited:
pretty sad, the POS couldn't make thru they're stupid contract... I have a friend that has a directv hr24-400 which feels and looks like dime store toy compared to a DSR 9XX... Enjoy having no rain fade in April (a rainy month here in WI)

This Direct box has been flaky since about a week after I got it. I locked up every so often. Then the other day it started changing channels by itself. Last night it quit reading the access card. Direct even acknowledged that that receiver is a POS and told me I don't have to send it back. What I don't understand is it's a D-11. It came in a plain brown box in bubble wrap, was it a referb to start with? The D-12 has been out for years and they gave me a stb that is over 5 years old when I signed up. My 922 is from 2006 and solid as a rock, no rain fade with c band :D

This Direct box has been flaky since about a week after I got it. I locked up every so often. Then the other day it started changing channels by itself. Last night it quit reading the access card. Direct even acknowledged that that receiver is a POS and told me I don't have to send it back. What I don't understand is it's a D-11. It came in a plain brown box in bubble wrap, was it a referb to start with? The D-12 has been out for years and they gave me a stb that is over 5 years old when I signed up. My 922 is from 2006 and solid as a rock, no rain fade with c band :D

That is the reason I built my own Dish system. Bought new products and top new equipment from various suppliers. Clean cable run from dish to receiver using top quality cable. So far no problems. I agree the 211K is a butt ugly black box but it appears
rugged and so small it is hidden behind some model airplanes. Nothing shows but an LED under the landing gear!

The only thing I use in my Direct system is their STB. The dish (90cm) LNBF, cable etc is mine and installed right. The weak link is their foreign made refurbished junk boxes that they represent as new. Lets face it all the electronics these days is junk compared to the old days.

Wonder if one could buy 3rd party directv receivers (ie sony samsung ect.) and still have then activated... hmmm....... there probably built a little better... But I think this is better off in a different section... dish & Directv War zone!!! I.D.K. LOL TVROpro your box was mostlikely in 6 other people houses from people that canceled (yucky)

I remember years ago I was repairing a vcr for someone... And found dead roaches in it!! GROSS!!! I tossed it out side and called them up & told em it was "unrepairable"

Some people's filth surprises me.....

Last edited:
Direct won't authorize old non RID boxes anymore. I have a brand new Hughes from the 90's that I asked them if they could auth it till their new junk arrives. They said no. It sure don't work like that with 4DTV's or 410's. Were green :) pizza fills up land fills with their old pizza boxes. The bud industry definitely make the most out of every bud, LNB, feed. IRD, etc...

Direct won't authorize old non RID boxes anymore. I have a brand new Hughes from the 90's that I asked them if they could auth it till their new junk arrives. They said no. It sure don't work like that with 4DTV's or 410's. Were green :) pizza fills up land fills with their old pizza boxes. The bud industry definitely make the most out of every bud, LNB, feed. IRD, etc...
With direct it can get very stinky. Lets say you buy a brand new direct box and then don't authorize it. Just stash it away like many of us do with the good deals we get. Direct
if they find out about it will sue you and threaten legal action against you for piracy. Remember you didn't do anything with it. This operation is known as "END USER DEVELOPMENT GROUP".
I may be taking a risk mentioning this and I don't know if this practice continues.

With direct it can get very stinky. Lets say you buy a brand new direct box and then don't authorize it. Just stash it away like many of us do with the good deals we get. Direct
if they find out about it will sue you and threaten legal action against you for piracy. Remember you didn't do anything with it. This operation is known as "END USER DEVELOPMENT GROUP".
I may be taking a risk mentioning this and I don't know if this practice continues.

Since when is owning a piece of equipment illegal. If that's true Direct is whacked :eek:

Is that current? It looks more from back in the piracy days. Direct ain't been hacked since the old hu days many many years ago. As far as I ever read P4 and newer cards are bulletproof.

TVROPRO,

SO when they replace your box will they TRY AND sucker you in to another 2 year contract?? Been there>>>> and seen it, EACH NEW BOX = 2 YR CONTRACT, check it out...........
We kicked them outta here last June, tired of their. B.S. at the end of the contract. No More!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Strictly 4 DTV AND c-BAND IN THIS HOUSE

Good Luck

They said no contract extensions or add on's. There POS took a dump ain't my problem. Honestly I would like to dump Direct soon as HITS gets a few more channels but I won't pay them early termination fees. They will be downgraded to the family pack as of 6/22 for year two and H2H will will get those extra bucks :)

What I don't understand is it's a D-11. It came in a plain brown box in bubble wrap, was it a referb to start with? The D-12 has been out for years and they gave me a stb that is over 5 years old when I signed up.

yes it was a refurb. Since you signed up with SD only they probably gave you that because thats what the tech had.
When I signed up I got the R15 which was "an active model" that they used.
The D12 works with Directv's one wire (SWM) setup whereas the D11 doesn't.

That is when you could buy the receivers dirt cheap. Now they lease everything so it has to be activated right away

TVROPRO,

SO when they replace your box will they TRY AND sucker you in to another 2 year contract?? Been there>>>> and seen it, EACH NEW BOX = 2 YR CONTRACT, check it out...........

replacing a defective unit does not add anything on to the contract. Now if he upgraded then it would

Is that current? It looks more from back in the piracy days. Direct ain't been hacked since the old hu days many many years ago. As far as I ever read P4 and newer cards are bulletproof.

Most recent data is 2009. Does not seem to be a case of being capable. Only that you have the equipment. They do not present proof of activity when they launch legal attacks. There is no need
for the equipment to be illegal for them to do this, apparently it is a legal shakedown enterprise. I do not wish to go further with this because we are entering something that should
not be discussed further here. Read the sample letters.

This whole world is made up these days with companies and politicians that act as criminals and get away with legal murder. They all hide beyond some law written for them by a lawyer. The man in the suit with a pen is just as much as the criminal as the guy with the 45 holding up a liquor store. Sad but true. :(

Getting back on topic, enjoying my 4DTV just like the old days :) I forgot how well C band really works since I have been using Direct a lot since I'm paying for it too. Beside the improved picture quality of C band, It really is a superior system built on solid technology.

yes it was a refurb. Since you signed up with SD only they probably gave you that because thats what the tech had.
When I signed up I got the R15 which was "an active model" that they used.
The D12 works with Directv's one wire (SWM) setup whereas the D11 doesn't.

I guess DirecTV is a lot like the old TCI cable I had many moons ago. They would bring out some boxes that looked like they went through the war. I don't have a problem with that as long as they replace them when they break. If they wanted to charge me then I would get pissed since it wasn't new and because it's leased. It's more of an inconvenience than anything else as it stands.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts