Glad to have my 4DTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I wonder if the new Direct receiver will be new or referb? I also wonder if the D-12 which I hope I get, gives me a better picture than the D-11 did? I think my old Hughes from the 90s a friend gave me has a better picture than the D-11 when I tuned in ch 100. I wish they would activate that but they said it don't have a RID so they don't do that anymore. Sounds like a bunch of double talk BS to me to force lease. That would be like SRL refusing to auth a 920, totally stupid.

Looks like some big rain storms are going to roll in today. Direct is broken so I won't be bothered by rain fade at least. Got the bud on H2H right now and enjoying 99 Quality :D

Well I got another DirecTV receiver it's a D-12 their latest and greatest. It's a reconditioned POS unit too made in 2009. The D-11 had a better picture the D12 is smeary. I guess Direct figures they can cover up digital artifacts by making the picture softer, go figure.

Moms HR-22 didnt make it a year. The HD boxes need fans an run way too hot. i dont know why they dont put fans in those receivers(that also applies to my pansat 9200 HD). GI and Moto plus all the other analog boxes were made with high quality componets. they knew those boxes were a big investment back then and their reputation depended on it.

Pizza co's upgrade and change so much im sure the service life design of those chinese receivers is meant to be short especially in today's throw away society.

Fan's cost money they would rather have that money in there pocket. If you put a 922 on top of one of these pizza boxes it would flatten it like a pancake.

The D-12 is definitely a downgrade from the D-11. The picture is terrible, smeary as hell, washed out and has flashing static in the left corner every so often. It's lke the focus is off, even the guide is blurry. The box also is slower and takes longer to respond. The D-11 I could deal with, this thing needs to go in the garbage can. I need to call Direct and complain but I doubt that they would even care about picture quality. I wonder if all the D-12's have this crappy of a picture or is it this (as they call it) reconditioned box only. Not sure how to approach this with Direct, any idea's?

Fan's cost money they would rather have that money in there pocket. If you put a 922 on top of one of these pizza boxes it would flatten it like a pancake.

The D-12 is definitely a downgrade from the D-11. The picture is terrible, smeary as hell, washed out and has flashing static in the left corner every so often. It's lke the focus is off, even the guide is blurry. The box also is slower and takes longer to respond. The D-11 I could deal with, this thing needs to go in the garbage can. I need to call Direct and complain but I doubt that they would even care about picture quality. I wonder if all the D-12's have this crappy of a picture or is it this (as they call it) reconditioned box only. Not sure how to approach this with Direct, any idea's?

You should have gone with HD to begin with. It's not that bad. Really! And, i think they don't even charge extra for it now?

I should have stuck it out with the bud :( To upgrade to HD now would cost me for an HD receiver and then they would probably have to send someone out to install the slimline dish which the orig installer gave me but never put up and charge me. I don't want to give Direct any more money. They should be able to take care of this issue if they are any bit of a quality company. What ticks me off is I have 4 D-10's that a friend got from a neighbors trash when they were moving. I hooked one up and it does not exhibit this blurry out of focus picture on the guide or on channel 100. Although since they were on someone else's account they want $400 to authorize them. Then when you have problems they send you more crap that don't work right. I don't understand that way of thinking.

Cut an old lamp cord... strip the wires down and put the ends in to the Lnb in... Send that one back too!!!! JK!!

Can't hurt to call em up... They probably have a stock pile of SD boxes...

Ya I could fry it easily but they could be SOB's when I send it back and charge my account for damage. Whats funny is I took my D-11 hooked it up and it reads the new card and says wrong card. It also now reads the old card and says 726 receiver ID problem. I also took my D-11's card and put it in a old Hughes receiver I have and it says 711 call to activate service. That old Hughes has better picture detail than the D11 did from what ch 100 shows. I wonder if all the D-11 needs is a hard boot like a MR on a 922 and a hit to get it working again. The problem is how do you do that? I'm trying to get some idea's together before I call Direct so I can give them some suggestions.

call up directv
tell them the receiver doesnt power up and you've tried the red button reboot
you unplugged it for 5 minutes and plugged it back in and still wont power on
you pulled the card and put back in....still nothing

D* will consider it broken and will send you a new one. They may have you do some tests...just play along but tell them it still wont power on

The R15 I had was sluggish and the remote sensor was iffy. I got it for $5 at goodwill. Used it for a month then called D* and did the above. They sent me a R22 and I sent back the "not-working" ;) R15

I wonder if all the D-12's have this crappy of a picture
no it doesn't. I've seen the pic on the D12 and it looks pretty good. Sounds like this one might have an issue

not really.

I have no issues with my Directv system. The 3 recievers I have work great
Got relatives who have had Dish for 10+ years now and are still using the same equipment. My dad still has 2 of the 4 301's he used in service (he upgraded to DVR's). Gramma has her original 301 for 11 years now.

All equipment can be bad. I've seen plenty of FTA equipment be bad from the get-go or as tvropro has noted "outputs a crappy picture". Its electronics. It can go bad :)

not really.

I have no issues with my Directv system. The 3 recievers I have work great
Got relatives who have had Dish for 10+ years now and are still using the same equipment. My dad still has 2 of the 4 301's he used in service (he upgraded to DVR's). Gramma has her original 301 for 11 years now.

All equipment can be bad. I've seen plenty of FTA equipment be bad from the get-go or as tvropro has noted "outputs a crappy picture". Its electronics. It can go bad :)

I guess that you are fortunate. ;)

A lot of people in my area have/had equipment issues which includes receivers and lnbfs. Reception seems to plague my area for some reason too. We are near Lake Erie and the area has spots where cell phones and radio waves do not seem to go. I do not understand why the pizza guys have bad spots too and it has nothing to do with trees or buildings. I still have my direct receiver from 1998-99 and 2001-2002 and it still works. I wanted to reactivate it for my dad but they said "no" you need o new one. I heard of people with their own equipment subbing without a contract but "Peggy" the rep just will not let me do so for my 86 year old dad! :eek:

I called up Direct and told them all the real issues with the D-12 receiver and what happened with the D-11. The guy told me all they should have done was sent out a new access card and they troubleshooted it wrong on the D-11. Anyway before I called I did a full factory MR on the D-11 and was getting 726 on that card. He gave it a hit and it started to work. I think the D-11 receiver got confused somehow and needed a brick fix. :) Anyway the D-11 is back up and they're sending out a recovery kit for the POS D-12. I also had to play musical chairs with my service address so it went to the right place so I'm back home. The D-11 actually seems like a better built receiver than the D-12, but then its older. Hopefully it will hang in there. The guy said that if I have more problems we can deal with them then. I still love my 4DTV :D

I guess that you are fortunate. ;)

I still have my direct receiver from 1998-99 and 2001-2002 and it still works. I wanted to reactivate it for my dad but they said "no" you need o new one. I heard of people with their own equipment subbing without a contract but "Peggy" the rep just will not let me do so for my 86 year old dad! :eek:

Direct has all kind of new rules. I tried to get the Hughes fired up without a contract and have them fire it up while I was waiting for the D-12. They won't do it. The cards have to be married to the receivers at the factory now I think and since the old receivers could marry in the field they don't want that because it could promote piracy. I hate to tell Direct but if the pirates want to do something they will anyway it's been proven time and time again. No system is fully secure.

I still have my direct receiver from 1998-99 and 2001-2002 and it still works. I wanted to reactivate it for my dad but they said "no" you need o new one. I heard of people with their own equipment subbing without a contract but "Peggy" the rep just will not let me do so for my 86 year old dad! :eek:

Directv wont activate old equipment on a new account...plain and simple. Been that way for years

Also both companies are phasing out old equipment...

Is it possible to buy a receiver nowdays so there is no long term contract???
I did try reactivating shortly after it was shut down and they still said no back then!

I want to put up a BUD at my dad's house but he seems reluctant... time to bring out a port-a-BUD! :D

I really think DirecTV had a better consumer friendly model back in the day when it was Direct and USSB. Now they play like a big cable company and honestly that is why I got my first bud in 87. I hated TCI cable we had, they did what they wanted and treated the consumer like crap. The bud gave me freedom from all that BS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts