Glitch while upgrading HD receiver to HD-DVR in whole home

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I know several installations where the SWM16 is outside, although the installer did try to put the switch somewhere slightly sheltered. But I'm with zashel on this, it's much better for the SWm16 to be inside the house.

would *highly* reccomend putting the SWM16 multiswitch inside somewhere if possible. it is not friendly with water in any form.
not correct. If installed properly, that is drip loops and weather bodies and SWM 16 will have no issues being outdoors. Mine has been outdoors for about 7 years, no issues so far

Just talked to the tech guy. He's coming back thursday. He said he plans on installing the swm switch under the porch roof, so hopefully that should be ok.
Thanks again for all your feedback and I'll post how it all turns out.

not correct. If installed properly, that is drip loops and weather bodies and SWM 16 will have no issues being outdoors. Mine has been outdoors for about 7 years, no issues so far
...still prefer them to be inside.......!!!!!!!

New information. I noticed this yesterday (Tuesday) after noon. Genie now gives error 476, "problem communicating with satellite". Pressing more into says "cabling problem". "Upgrade needed. Call customer service......."

None of this was happening after the tech left on Monday nor is it happening on the new HD DVR now but the Genie receiver is doing it and won't let me get rid of this message nor bring in any other channels except the one it was currently on. Recordings seem ok.

The only thing new that's happened (that I'm aware of) is the tech guy came yesterday (Tuesday) to replace the LNB and swm 8 but came in after a few minutes saying he didn't have the swm 16 with him and would have to bring it Thursday. After I noticed the Genie problem I called him and he swears he didn't touch anything.

New information. I noticed this yesterday (Tuesday) after noon. Genie now gives error 476, "problem communicating with satellite". Pressing more into says "cabling problem". "Upgrade needed. Call customer service......."

None of this was happening after the tech left on Monday nor is it happening on the new HD DVR now but the Genie receiver is doing it and won't let me get rid of this message nor bring in any other channels except the one it was currently on. Recordings seem ok.

The only thing new that's happened (that I'm aware of) is the tech guy came yesterday (Tuesday) to replace the LNB and swm 8 but came in after a few minutes saying he didn't have the swm 16 with him and would have to bring it Thursday. After I noticed the Genie problem I called him and he swears he didn't touch anything.

Do you mean error 776?
Looks like he did do something. Check to make sure the power inserter is still connected and powered, check all your connections, make sure he didn't put the DVR into two-tuner mode,

Do you mean error 776?
Looks like he did do something. Check to make sure the power inserter is still connected and powered, check all your connections, make sure he didn't put the DVR into two-tuner mode,
If he did anything, it had to be outside. I was with him inside and he didn't touch anything. Just gave me a bunch of yada yada about their not supposed to go on a roof, etc but he would do it anyway. Also, it was raining while he was here. I'm wondering even if he didn't fully disconnect anything, if maybe he loosened a coax enough to allow moisture in.
Update: I just checked the Genie again and was able to switch channels ok. Also, the message didn't appear on most of them and eventually it went away entirely. Dry and sunny today too. Hmmm.

Oh and yes, it was 776. Just checked again and can still switch channels. Message appeared but went away when I switched channels.

That's correct and I'm still getting the message. Tech coming today, so hopefully will be fixed soon.
Tech finished about an hour ago. System seems fine but I didn't get a chance to see their outside work until after they left. They've mounted what appears to be an approximately 10" square, brownish colored, plastic box to the exterior wall of the house, up near the dish. Although there's a short roof overhang about three feet above it, It's still pretty exposed to weather.

0312swm16.png
Tech finished about an hour ago. System seems fine but I didn't get a chance to see their outside work until after they left. They've mounted what appears to be an approximately 10" square, brownish colored, plastic box to the exterior wall of the house, up near the dish. Although there's a short roof overhang about three feet above it, It's still pretty exposed to weather.
Does it look like this...or maybe they put it in a weatherproof box..

View attachment 107614
Does it look like this...or maybe they put it in a weatherproof box..
Sure looks like it. As I remember, it appeared mounted 90 degrees clockwise from your picture and I think all the top inputs were capped off. I could probably take and upload a picture but then you'd see how badly my house needs a paint job. :)

Sure looks like it. As I remember, it appeared mounted 90 degrees clockwise from your picture and I think all the top inputs were capped off. I could probably take and upload a picture but then you'd see how badly my house needs a paint job. :)
the fact that is outdoors is not an issue, the problem is the way it was mounted. With the left ports facing the water

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)